In my humble opinion, less is more! Anyone else agree?

Surfy

Adventurer
Kiss depends on your plans..

I had a "minimal equipped 4x4 camper" Setup for doing a transafrica.

For driving the "white rim" trail it would be overkill, at same time.

Dont think to much about - some need more equipment than others ;-)

Old military axiom - Travel Light .. Freeze at night .. While a Grunt in the Army, I traveled as light as I could and still have the equipment to survive. That said, If you have to hump it you will eventually conservatively tailor your load.

getout

Adventurer
For us, there's a healthy balance. We've got little kids and our trips go MUCH better with a heater in the tent/camper than without but, there's plenty that we don't take with us because some amount of survivalist/minimalism is good for kids.

I think this is a very personal thing. I've always been quick to look at other with super campers with TVs, ACs, etc. and think, "that's not really camping," but there are plenty of people that could look at us and say, "A tent? That's not roughing it."

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I agree, to an extent. It depends on your plans and your situation I guess.

I've spent many nights in tents with very basic gear, several nights in the back of pickups, etc. A couple years ago I bought a 7' slide-in truck camper and found that is was just way more than we needed. It was extremely comfortable with a water heater, furnace, queen bed, refrigerator etc etc but my wife and I rarely used most of what we had. More often than not I was by myself, and found that the overall size prohibited me from exploring the places that I bought the camper to explore in the first place! My wife and I like to spend more time outside and the camper was really only supposed to be for sleeping shelter, minimal cooking and hiding from weather occasionally. I like backpacking gear but really neither one of us is really into super basic "roughing it" style camping.

I sold the camper and the truck, as much as I loved both, trying to find a better balance. After seeing the Adventure Trailers Habitat and Ursa Minor J30 for the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, I bought a new Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. Now I can get further off the beater path and explore more (I enjoy 4 wheeling anyway), and plan to order a J30 top. There is nothing fancy about the top, just room to sleep two on the roof. Eventually I'll probably run a dual battery setup, 12v fridge and stuff but don't expect to get too crazy with on board water systems and water heaters.

On the other hand, a big part of four wheeling and camping for me is playing with the gear and installing/modifying things anyway. I think that's the real reason I end up with too much crap as it is, I just like stuff...?

Great conversation here. :ylsmoke:
My longest trips have been with minimal gear - across the US and New Zealand by bike. I still back pack, and started back on weekend bike tours the past few years. I have kayak and canoe camped, but most of the time it is car camping now. Still, that is for a base for exploring and not the "act of camping" for most all trips.

I have a VW Westfalia pop-top VW Vanagon - a model with no kitchen, just cabinets and the fold-out beds. Love it. Simple in the camper world. However, when I camp by myself in it, I sometimes feel funny, because I don't need all the space. It's great with the family of 4 though - even with the 2 dogs. :) I'd feel totally weird in that box van if it was a week long trip, but not if I was full-timing it like you.

Happy trails,
John

Was just down in Southern Baja for three weeks- totally cracked up when I rolled up to a surfspot (it's just outside of a cool little town, has a dirt parking lot filled with beater 2WD toyotas and local sedans) and there's a giant, I mean huge, Dakar-style expedition truck sitting in the dirt. It looked like that giant sand vehicle those little brown guys cruised in the first Star Wars- evidently somebody, Euro by the looks of the plate, had converted it into what looked like an armored RV. It was total overkill. Couldn't help but think of the message it sent to the locals- like you're so afraid to interact that you've created a fortress on giant wheels to lock yourself up in at night. It seemed way out of place. I also question its real functionality as an offroad vehicle. It was way too big to go up the 4x4 trails we take our trucks through- and it seemed like the people in it were too afraid of getting it stuck to take it out onto the sand.

Abitibi

Explorer
My problem is that I enjoy building projects. I'm always thinking of new ways to maximize space in the smallest footprint. Trying to build components that will result in multi-purpose, doing the most with the least... I've seen some very smart design here and on the road. DJJack's Delica is a great example of what can be accomplished with a small vehicle. If you haven't seen it take the time to find it!

So yes, I'm minimalist when I jump in the shower...but I love having my shell with me. My old '65 VW camper was one of my favorite. Now with two young kids I'm working on something a bit larger (E350 ambulance) but it's pushing my comfort zone. So I carry a hammock with me :)

You have to admit though, it is splendid to be autonomous with a small house on 4 wheels... ;)

Cheers
Mr. D

Last edited:

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
My problem is that I enjoy building projects.

+1 x 1000

I spend way too much time building, scheming and planning. It is part of the fun for me to build something myself then take it out and see how it works.
If only I could find a better way to contain myself and be happy with what I have. But I'm always trying to build the next ultimate rig.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I couldn't agree more.

When I drove 65,000 kms from Alaska to Argentina, this is everything I took with me:

Jeep Spares:
Oil filter X 2
Air filter X 2
Serpentine belt
Top & bottom radiator hoses & hose clamps
Top & bottom heater hoses
Front swaybar link (It was free and I've already broken one)
Oils for engine, transmission, transfer case and diffs
Wiper blades X 2
Radiator coolant
Lots of fuses & wire
A Canadian Tire 160 piece tool kit
Hammer, Pliers, Hacksaw, C-Clamp, File, Letherman multi-tool
Multi-meter & wire strippers
12v air compressor & puncture repair kit (the cheap, crappy kind)
WD 40 & duct tape
First Aid Kit:

Camping gear:
2 man, 4 season tent
-7 deg C mummy sleeping bag & liner
Thermarest & pillow
Trangia lightweight hiking stove & fuel
Headlamp, camping chair
Clothes & thermals

Electronics:
Dell mini 9 netbook & 12v charger
Fuju FD6000FD camera
AA battery charger modified to run off 12v
iPod loaded with “learn Spanish” audio books

Misc:
Guitar
Hot springs books
Other reading books
Maps
Tripod
Disc golf discs X 3
Ultimate Frisbee

That's it.
I honestly believe keeping the Jeep so light was one of the main reasons I never had a single breakdown (I constantly hear stories of people breaking shocks/rims or blowing out tires)

-Dan

redneck44

Adventurer
Grecy

Out of interest how much of that list did you finish the trip with, and did you need anything along the way.

I like the lightweight approach, but I have lots of toys to carry as well. If it was just camping gear, I can get all of it in a 60l back pack, the dive, kitesurf, MTB's climbing kit and Skateboards means I need some storage room.

Almost forgot SWMBO, rugrat and 150lb newfoundland need some room as well.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk