Increase Traction w/o a rear locker? How?

M

modelbuilder

Wouldn't an issue with the parking brake "locker" be that you would need to know which tire is spinning for it to be effective? IF you feel a slip what if you pull the wrong brake line?

I guess you could mount mirrors or something so you could see.

M

modelbuilder

hmmm...I wonder if I could rig this up on my Grand Cherokee.

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I haven't looked at the underside of a WK but if it is anything like a YJ/TJ/XJ/ZJ/WJ you will have the same one cable to two cable split mechanism under the rear driver's side door.

michaelgroves

Explorer
Driving with fiddle brakes is quite an art. It has to be reactive, because there isn't any point in applying a brake to get additional traction, until the wheel starts to spin. At first you pretty much have to be stuck, and then apply the appropriate brake to force the other wheel to turn. (It doesn't matter if you apply the wrong brake first - the wheel is stationary anyway). As you get better at it, you can feel when one wheel is just starting to spin, and apply the correct brake before you lose momentum. I've seen some set up so that the passenger controls the fiddles. I've even seen a nifty pair of levers like bicycle brake levers, on the steering wheel.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Unfortunately I called all the locker manufactures I could find and spoke with as many people as I could. Due to the fact that the WK has an odd housing for the rear axle a locker will not fit. I even took it to two 4x4 shops.

The same goes for the Jeep Commander. No one make a locker that will fit inside the housing...it's an odd shape.

My rear axle is the Chrysler 8.25" 29 Spline but it's the housing that keeps the locker from fitting on it.

I am just out of luck on this one. Only way to do it would be to swap axles. All the experts said forget it!!!

It's fine...it still gets me around!!!
The lunch box lockers are available for 8.25 29 spline axels. They fit inside the carrier and no where near the housing. What part does not fit what? Is the carrier different? Could you just install a locker in the front? Welding your spiders will ruin your drive on the streets and is for hard core off road rigs. Using breaks can somtimes save you in a stuck situation but by then your stuck and desperate so you try anything. Once in a while just the right breaking at the right time will save you but it's not a solution. What wont fit on the lunch box lockers that a grinder can't fix? http://www.jeeperz-creeperz.com/aussie-locker-chrysler-29spline-p-87375.html

M

modelbuilder

Could you just install a locker in the front?

No...already checked with the 4x4 shop...and went directly to the locker manufacturer...

The WK came out in late 2004 and the Commander shortly there after. Since then no one has put a locker on their rig. Even all the manufacturers say that I would need an axle swap. Its something about the size of the gears and the housing.

If it was possible we would have heard of it by now.

I also checked all the WK forums etc...

Sucks big time!

dustboy

Explorer
Save for a few years in an LC100, I have never had a locking differential in any of my 4WDs, yet I've managed to always find another line or some other throttle, braking, and steering modulation to assist, not to mention the right tire is a huge help, but maybe the extreme articulation from an LC80 helps greatly.

I have to agree with this. I only have a few years 4x4 experience, but I haven't seen a situation yet where I needed a locking diff, and in fact in most cases where I've seen them used they were detrimental, as in slippery mud or snow conditions where the rig slides sideways.

Around here the most difficult trails are rocky, and I've always been able to keep enough tires on the ground. Having rock sliders and good armor gives me the confidence to take those better lines.

I've seen the limits of what I want my rig to do, and beyond that I'll just pull off the trail and hike the rest of it.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Perhaps time for a different vehicle? I know I know but if you want it locked or LSD'd you may need to trade in and go for something a little more aftermarket friendly.

Aaron

M

modelbuilder

Trade it in...no way. My WK can keep up with the best of them. I haven't tackled anything that I couldn't get over. Just wanted a locker for that peace of mind.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Trade it in...no way. My WK can keep up with the best of them. I haven't tackled anything that I couldn't get over. Just wanted a locker for that peace of mind.

Hey, your the one who wanted a locker. I'd say stay the trails that won't require a locker I mean it has to be pretty bad to need one but on the flip side you better know what your doing when using one the driving style is quite different. I had always toyed with the idea of having a work truck that was 2wd and just using a winch and land anchor if no trees were available. This two could be a good back up if you just can't get a good line. I'm not poking fun as this is not the place but heck I've been there where a locker would have had me out in 2 seconds flat. But but but the driver is the main component.

Aaron

78Bronco

Explorer
I wonder if welding the spider gears will damage the 4x4 system my Jeep has....arghhh....I wish someone made a locker that would fit.

Is that even safe?

The solution is to find a junkyard axle that will accept a locker...ie Dana44...and install it in your vehicle. I believe Jeep offered a Dana44 in XJ's for a couple years. It's not easy but it's the cheapest solution but it's better than an open diff.

Welding a diff sucks for street driving, it resist turning, make driving in snow/ice and sand interesting and wears your tires quickly etc...

BTM doesn't work with an open diff, end of story. BTM with an aggresive ltd slip might do better.

Last edited:

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
You'd be surprised where you can go open diffed. I ran a somewhat hard trail in Big Bear last weekend open diffed and was really impressed with how well I did. This was the first real test of my 4Runner since taking the rear Lock Rite out last November. Now I am thinking I don't really need that ARB I've been thinking about getting. Picking proper lines is crucial.

Last edited:
M

modelbuilder

Well this is good to hear. What trail was that RJ?

Remember my rig? Think I could tackle the same trail?

jesusgatos

Explorer
Welding your spiders will ruin your drive on the streets and is for hard core off road rigs.
Running a spool on the street is really no big deal, and in some applications, I'd prefer a (rear) spool over something like a Detroit locker. The tires will chirp and bind a little bit when you have to negotiate tight, low-speed places, like parking lots, but it's not really much worse than turning your front tires while the vehicle isn't moving. They just scrub a bit.

I'd put my time/money into improving the suspension before buying lockers for most vehicles. Traction is best when wheels/tires are on the ground...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven