INEOS Grenadier

utherjorge

Observer
I mean, the LS is the LS. I would have gone for a Toyota engine outside of America, but would be willing to listen to other suggestions. I don't think the LS hits any emissions targets that are meaningful, especially if a supposed shorty IG allows them to get their CAFE numbers down. An LS ain't gon' help

nickw

Adventurer
I mean, the LS is the LS. I would have gone for a Toyota engine outside of America, but would be willing to listen to other suggestions. I don't think the LS hits any emissions targets that are meaningful, especially if a supposed shorty IG allows them to get their CAFE numbers down. An LS ain't gon' help
Let the EU have their BMW diesel, drop a detuned LS or other GM V8 into the IG here....I bet it gets same mileage as the B58 in that squared up boxy rig, heck the 6.4 Hemi in my Ram 2500 gets 14-16. Bigger N/A V8's worked for Toyota and Mercedes for years....well enough that is all they put in their HD rigs that made it to the US.

I'm only partially serious - they'd need to have a completely different engineering solution for a new engine/trans, the diesel and gas variants are likely very very sim and much easier to pair up on an assembly line along with engine mounts, ancillaries, tcase, exhaust, etc.

Wonder how CAFE works when you only have 1 rig across geo's. I do think it may qualify as 'commercial' in some markets and may not have the same requirements.

SkiWill

300GD is definitely a RTW rig, but I agree with your wife in regards to comfort. The 300GD isn't horrible, but it's 80s spartan comfort.

2007-2010 957 chassis Cayenne; low-range t-case, center diff lock standard. Can retrofit the rear with OEM or aftermarket e-locker. There's also an e-locker available for the front. Find a base VR6 model w/ coil susp and SUPER reliable (as long as it's been maintained like anything of course).

OMGah I can't believe the early Defender prices. Every few weeks a new restoration shop. Some look horrible, some are horrible. Besides them appearing to go on safari at any minute, I don't get the appeal for $100k-$250k (Ok, Heritage Driven green or rust colored machines with serious susp and portals--different story).

So to the B58 concerns with the Grenadier; I quizzed 3 of our factory-trained/ex-dealership and Master BMW techs. All the issues/concerns that came up were;
-early B58 had an expansion hose from the cyl head breaking constantly, until it was changed to a soft line
-we're starting to see more heat management modules fail. That is what they call a thermostat now (no physical thermostat)
-other than that, at this time we would buy a B58 over an N55 any day of the week

And the 200 Series gets a 5 star crash test rating 8+ airbags or something like that. The 300 GD has 0 airbags and no ABS. Granted, neither did my first car. However, when I once suggested something like a 300 GD the response was something to the effect of "the kids aren't riding in it, and I'm upping your life insurance."

Yes original Defender prices are now stupid, but it's good to know the B58 actually looks to be a good engine from BMW. They used to make good engines, it would be nice if the B58 proves they didn't forget.

This is occasionally a topic of discussion...but the same motor in other Toyota vehicles in the same spec/guise does not. I do not run premium and it is about 100% certain you don't need to.

Well....yes. Lots to trim with aftermarket bumpers on the last years of the GX. Assuming you can find one you like, but they are out there.

Long Range would be the way to go to add tanks to the GX as long as you delete the rear spare in a way you prefer.

Well, I actually expect the opposite, with a turbo 6 instead of the eight. If that's the case, the last year of the existing GX will likely sell very well. Does Toyota's turbo for in NA-spec need premium?

But, where? None of these will get anything close to that if you're off tarmac.

I would run the 4.6 without premium if I had to. I agree that it would probably run fine without it, but the manual still says premium.

The grill is a solvable problem, but a completely self inflicted solvable problem.

Long Range America tanks were not built or designed for NA spec vehicles. I've never read a review of one at least for LR or Sprinter that said anything fit properly or was built around NA spec emissions systems. Some make them work. I do enough engineering for my day job so I'm not interested in reengineering a product that already cost me several grand. YMMV.

The Toyota 3.4 turbo in the Tundra and Sequoia is tuned for regular gas. The LX600 for premium. There is no way in the world with CAFE standards that the new Prado will be less efficient than the old GX/Prado. It would never make it on sale from a regulatory perspective. The new Tacoma will be turbo only and I promise you regular grade gasoline.

My LR4 gets hwy mileage on endless dirt roads around the American West and has to negotiate 80 mph highways between with 100 miles between gas stations. I have nothing against the GX. I'm just pointing out it has the exact same weaknesses that I don't like about my LR4. Obviously in low range crawling nothing gets good mileage. But, I still need range to get to where I want to go and that can include hundreds of miles of 40 mph off tarmac round trip.

Wonder how CAFE works when you only have 1 rig across geo's. I do think it may qualify as 'commercial' in some markets and may not have the same requirements.

You buy credits from Tesla. I believe for a while Tesla made more selling credits than selling cars.

ABBB

Let the EU have their BMW diesel, drop a detuned LS or other GM V8 into the IG here....I bet it gets same mileage as the B58 in that squared up boxy rig, heck the 6.4 Hemi in my Ram 2500 gets 14-16. Bigger N/A V8's worked for Toyota and Mercedes for years....well enough that is all they put in their HD rigs that made it to the US.

I'm only partially serious - they'd need to have a completely different engineering solution for a new engine/trans, the diesel and gas variants are likely very very sim and much easier to pair up on an assembly line along with engine mounts, ancillaries, tcase, exhaust, etc.

I believe Ineos is exempted form CAFE for the time being because they are a boutique manufacturer that produces a certain number a vehicles under a regulatory threshold that would trigger higher standards if passed. It’s been stated by them, I believe, that they’ll increase production with time and will no longer quality for the exemption, which is partially why they are developing vehicles with contemporary CAFE standards in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grassland

So north of 100k CAD for a higher trim IG, with no listed service centers on the continent I live on. Where do I sign?

Could get a stripped down work trim super cab heavy half from Ford for around 60 CAD, maybe a bit less. About 78K for a Supercab 6.75' bed Super Duty with a 7.3 V8 if I want more payload and towing and higher duty cycle designed in.

I dunno I'm essentially priced out of the vehicle market now, unless vehicles drop 10-12K on trucks, or I go back to working 60-70 hours a week.
You can still buy a detached home in a neighborhood you won't immediately be stabbed in for 220k in my city. Can't pay 100k+ for a boutique vehicle.

ABBB

I thought the network of Bosch-affiliated service centers were going to act as non-dealership authorized repair shops? Wasn’t this announced many moons ago? I live in rural Oregon and looked up the Bosch network and found at least five or six shops within spitting distance of me. I haven’t heard if this was how it is expected to really work after release but this was the plan initially. If you aren’t near a dealership, maybe a BMW dealership would stand in or maybe a Bosch-affiliated service center would.

I highly doubt there won’t be a vast service network. Ineos is a global behemoth in umpteen other industries, I think they know how to scale and build global networks. I could end up eating my words but I’d put my money on this.

BuckinghamBuilt

I'm not sure if its been mentioned but all this talk of dealer and service networks had me wondering not just about where scheduled maintenance or repair work would be performed but what owners should expect for repair times (parts, labor).

Grassland

I thought the network of Bosch-affiliated service centers were going to act as non-dealership authorized repair shops? Wasn’t this announced many moons ago? I live in rural Oregon and looked up the Bosch network and found at least five or six shops within spitting distance of me. I haven’t heard if this was how it is expected to really work after release but this was the plan initially. If you aren’t near a dealership, maybe a BMW dealership would stand in or maybe a Bosch-affiliated service center would.

I highly doubt there won’t be a vast service network. Ineos is a global behemoth in umpteen other industries, I think they know how to scale and build global networks. I could end up eating my words but I’d put my money on this.

Not that small shops can't do good work and technical work, but the shops listed under Bosch service centers in my city are like 1-2 bay shops, in older buildings.
I think it's realistic they don't care about people in a dozen or more US states or the entirety of Canada outside the Vancouver and GTO areas.

utherjorge

Observer
I thought the network of Bosch-affiliated service centers were going to act as non-dealership authorized repair shops? .... If you aren’t near a dealership, maybe a BMW dealership would stand in or maybe a Bosch-affiliated service center would.

I agree this was the plan, but we're getting close to drop-day and there remain no details on this to share, and Bosch's site for anything auto is complete hot garbage. Nothing close to me at all...but I understand that I am not the most important person even in my own house on a regular basis. You just figure there'd be more info, which means there is *no* info.

My GX is getting serviced and there's a part on order. They gave me a brand new hybrid as a loaner while I wait. Will rural two-bays offer a temp IG while you wait for a part that doesn't exist locally?

ABBB

I agree this was the plan, but we're getting close to drop-day and there remain no details on this to share, and Bosch's site for anything auto is complete hot garbage. Nothing close to me at all...but I understand that I am not the most important person even in my own house on a regular basis. You just figure there'd be more info, which means there is *no* info.

My GX is getting serviced and there's a part on order. They gave me a brand new hybrid as a loaner while I wait. Will rural two-bays offer a temp IG while you wait for a part that doesn't exist locally?

Your points and several others that were made above were part of my logic in cancelling my reservation - twice. I put money down, got cold feet and canceled, then went through the process again. Instead of a third time I bought a low mileage 2016 Land Cruiser with an OME BP-51 suspension upgrade.

I don’t know what to make of Ineos at the moment, and no one does (not enough at least), which is why I don’t need to be a guinea pig. For others with enough coin or risk tolerance I say go for it. I love the idea of this vehicle but I need to see proven pudding before I fork over real cash. There’s enough uncertainty and challenging circumstances in life that I’m not looking to pile on. I sincerely hope everyone gets the vehicle they’re dreaming of and that Ineos has a fine tuned plan to respond to issues that will absolutely arise. But even with the finest tuned plan, the unexpected will occur and hiccups will happen. Some planes built on the way down take flight, others don’t. I’m fine waiting and watching from the sideline as this ambitious plan develops.

utherjorge

Observer
Your points and several others that were made above were part of my logic in cancelling my reservation - twice. I put money down, got cold feet and canceled, then went through the process again. Instead of a third time I bought a low mileage 2016 Land Cruiser with an OME BP-51 suspension upgrade.

I don’t know what to make of Ineos at the moment, and no one does (not enough at least), which is why I don’t need to be a guinea pig.... I’m fine waiting and watching from the sideline as this ambitious plan develops.
There are multiple robust communities for multiple vehicles. I'm a part of the GX community and I know that I could depend on them if needed (I already have gotten help multiple times for sure). There are obviously many others.

At the very least due to the newness and exclusivity of these rigs, if they ever happen: what will that community look like? How long will it take for them to come up with their version of the "Jeep Wave" and be able to offer information, too?

This is a not-really-fair point, to be honest...but it's still a point. If you had to wait for a community to pop up to buy...nothing would ever be bought.

ABBB

There are multiple robust communities for multiple vehicles. I'm a part of the GX community and I know that I could depend on them if needed (I already have gotten help multiple times for sure). There are obviously many others.

At the very least due to the newness and exclusivity of these rigs, if they ever happen: what will that community look like? How long will it take for them to come up with their version of the "Jeep Wave" and be able to offer information, too?

This is a not-really-fair point, to be honest...but it's still a point. If you had to wait for a community to pop up to buy...nothing would ever be bought.

Another very important unanswered IG question: what will the Grenadier’s version of the Jeep duck be???

I did a bit of fun price math over at TheIneosForum on the question of pricing (Apologies SkiWill if you are over there too and this is a repeat; I figured it might be useful to others even if you have seen it already).

On one hand, Ineos has stated we'd be hard pressed to hit $100k with a fully kitted Grenadier. So, that tells us $70k-$80k base pricing in the US, which is pretty high and speaks to that value proposition that I think we were all hoping the Ineos would be. On the other hand, when we convert the prices of the Grenadier in Australia and the UK to USD, and compare that to the price of similar vehicles (Jeep and Defender), it suggests that a competitive price for the Gren in the USA will be in the mid-$50k to mid $60k range, which is much more palatable. Here's the chart with references:

LocationGrenadierJeepDefenderFord Ranger
USAN/A$58,490 (Source)$58,300 (Source)$30,460 (Source)
England$72,467$77,801 (Source)$77,635 (Source)$49,284 (Source)
Australia$66,164$66,164 (Source)$69,650 (Source)$39,109 (Source)

So based on the above chart, the Defender and Jeep are both proportionally priced in England and Australia when converted to USD. Essentially, both the Jeep and the Defender cost the same, relative to each other, in both the USA and the UK (they are both about 25% more expensive in the UK). The Jeep and Defender are also relatively very closely priced when comparing the Australian prices to the US prices, as they are about 14% more expensive in Australia than they are in the US, give or take 2%.

Based on that math, a USA Grenadier could be as much as 25% cheaper than a UK Grenadier, or as much as 14% cheaper than an Australian Grenadier, meaning it's prices would be at about $56,901 (relative to Aus pricing) or $54,350 (relative to UK pricing). One can hope, right?

I'm not too worried about the axles or the availability of parts for said axles at this stage. I believe the axles are made by Cararro, and Cararro provide axles for John Deere, Case, CNH, Caterpillar, JLG, Terex, Trak, Astec, New Holland, Gehl, Pettibone and Komatsu equipment amongst others. That's a lot of manufacturers using Cararro axles, which suggests that most of the world will at least have a supply chain for industrial users that should make parts easy enough to get. Cararro's website has some interesting claims about the number of manufacturers they work with, their parts distribution network (dedicated staffing in 90 countries just for parts) and a few other details that are promising. It's not necessarily "parts on every shelf" like Toyota with their decades of market penetration, but the existing supply chain is grounds for optimism.

With regards to the B58, I have a better understanding of your hesitation both based on your knowledge of BMW motors and your use case, but you have a great point about how even different engine designs from the same manufacturer can be dreams or lemons. The only info I've been able to find is pretty limited and tends to repeat on many sites around the internet. In sum:

- Water pumps can fail prematurely (A spare water pump is standard kit for backcountry travel imo).
- Coolant loss (related to water pump failure, can be catastrophic but basic daily checks of fluid levels eliminate that risk and from my perspective this should also be standard for backcountry travel)
- Valve Cover leaks (Gasket failure, and non-catastrophic. Top up the oil till you get home if it's minor. Gaskets are easy to replace if needed in the field.)
- PCV Valve Failure (a component on the valve cover; the diaphragm inside can crack. Seems to be a mileage/maintenance issue. It's not clear to me what it means for the operation of the engine if this breaks in the field - seems non-catastrophic, just the engine will burn oil)
- Oil Filter gets stuck in oil filter housing when changing them (Recommendation is to just be careful when switching filters)
- VANOS problems - solenoid for VVT fails, usually around 80-100k miles. Tricky to fix as it's back near the timing chain, but it can be done without an engine pull and 80-100k miles is getting into timing chain territory anyway.

In terms of forum discussions elsewhere, whether it's Reddit or other BMW-specific spaces, I'm not finding a ton beyond those things above - the gist of it is even with these problems, the B58 is rock solid. And, the problems above are all quite minor, I think can be addressed with simple spares in the field, and are generally caught with regular maintenance, not issues that are likely to cause you to sit down and be stuck. Apparently Toyota did a bunch of reliability and durability testing on the B58 before putting it in the Supra - I'd love to see the findings of that testing, but obviously they were OK as the motor made the grade.

Lot's of work here - thanks for posting this! I see one potential problem with your pricing predictions though: they are based on converting the prices in Europe and Australia to the prices in North America, and I'm not sure that is how its going to play out. I have read in a few places that - while European and Australian early "hand raisers" were protected from price increases due to global inflation - North American reservation holders will not be. If that is indeed the case, our prices could be 10-15% higher. Do you have any info on this? It would be nice if Ineos moved up the time frame for announcing pricing...

I went to the driving event at the Ram Off-Road Park in Colorado Springs on Friday April 21, 2023. I got there early, and they let me drive the course before my appointment, and I was the only car on the course (which was pretty cool), and then they let me drive it a second time during my scheduled appointment. These were my impressions:

The staff was great: professional, knowledgeable, and friendly.

The course was good - but not great. There was a 35-37 degree side-slope, a couple of short steep hills to both climb and descend, some tight turns, but nothing very technical. It was a more challenging course than most manufacturers would turn you loose on, but if you regularly drive off-road in Colorado, this was about a 4 on the OnX Off Road scale from 0-10.

Here are my impressions. These may - or may not - be relevant to you. You may - or may not - use your off-road vehicle the same way that I do.

Positive impressions:

1. The Grenadier handled it all very well, and felt very planted - especially on the side slope.

2. The suspension is fantastic. Wheel travel is good, it articulates well, and the springs and shocks work well together to mitigate rough terrain. The Grenadier is comfortable and quiet off-road.

3. The steering felt precise off-road. We were in 4-low the whole time, and never got up to speed, so I cannot speak to on-road driving characteristics.

4. In low-range, the B58 (gas engine) has excellent low-end torque; it would have been good to see how it felt in high-range, but that was not allowed. The engine and transmission worked well together in low-range, and the throttle was easy to modulate. While max horsepower and torque are no where near class leading (282 hp, 332 lb/ft. torque), and are not great for a vehicle of this weight (around 5,800 pounds), forced induction will provide better driving dynamics than a naturally aspirated engine with similar max-power numbers. Forced induction will also help the Grenadier at altitude.

5. The Grenadier is solid. (a) The frame resembles that of a heavy duty pickup (e.g. Ford F250, Ram 2500); (b) The running gear (tie rod, drag link, track bar) resemble what you would see on a solid front axle Landcruiser - much beefier than a Jeep Wrangler, but not quite as stout as a heavy duty truck; (c) the axles are beefier than a Jeep Wrangler, but less stout than a heavy duty truck.

6. All moving parts in the body are aluminum (hood, four side doors, two rear doors). All the doors feel well-made, and close with a satisfying feel, that speaks to how well-sealed they are against the elements.

7. The seats are super-comfortable (obviously, that assessment is highly subjective).

Not-so positive impressions:

1. We were not allowed to engage the front and rear differential locks, nor were we allowed to shift out of 4-low.

2. Given its clear intention to be a rugged 4x4, the Grenadier has good - but not great - ground clearance. Top off-road models from Jeep and Ford can be equipped from the factory with 35-inch tires (with corrected gearing, no rubbing, a full-size spare tire, and a factory warranty). I understand that the vision for the Grenadier is rugged overlander, not rock crawler, but many of us will want to use it for a bit of both. Most drivers were hitting the rear differential on a rock that wasn't very big. The Ineos guides requested that people either take it very slow, or place a tire on the rock (as opposed to straddling it). Placing tires on top of rocks is basic off-roading, but on harder trails, you need better ground clearance. I am not a hard-core rock crawler, but we regularly travel through terrain with much larger rocks than on this test course. If the Grenadier were more easily modified, this would not be a concern. However, the Grenadier will not take well to larger tires for the following reasons: (a) short control arms, (b) lack of re-gearing options for the Carraro axles, and (c) a split rear door that will not accommodate a tire larger than 33-inches in diameter. Some - or all - of this may get addressed in the aftermarket.

3. Engine braking going down steep hills is good, but not great. For my style of off-road driving, I would prefer a lower, low range. The Grenadier has a low range of 2.5:1, whereas as a Wrangler Rubicon has a low-range of 4:1. The Rubicon transfer case is better-suited to technical off-road driving in Colorado. The Grenadier transfer case will be better for sand, and higher speed off-roading while still needing low-range.

4. For an off-road vehicle - the gear selector is awful. The haptics do not provide the simple and tactile feedback required in a true off-road vehicle. A gear selector in a 4x4 needs to (a) move, so that shifting is positive, and can be verified by both feel and sight, (b) positively engage with gears, and (c) not be prone to shifting out of gear with a moderate tap or bump - which can happen while off-roading. The BMW gear selector fails on every count. To put it into park, you press a button on the gear selector; nothing moves, and there is no confirmation of being in park, other than a little light on the dash. To put it in drive, you press a button and pull back; the selector pivots backward, then returns to its regular position. There is no visible sign of what gear you are in, other than a little light on the dash. To go into "manual mode" you tap it to the left - but again, it pivots, but does not move over to the left - so there is no good feedback. In manual mode, you can up-shift by tapping rearwards, or down-shift by tapping forwards. If your tap to the left did not actually put the vehicle in manual mode, then - if you forward tap (thinking you are downshifting) - you will put the truck into neutral, and you will suddenly lose all engine braking. The gear selector completely fails to match other components in the Grenadier - which are rugged, and positive in their engagement. It is also a bit bizarre that this electronic gear selector is sandwiched between a manual handbrake, and a manual lever for the transfer case. The Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator use the same ZF transmissions as the Grenadier, but have a far superior gear selector. It moves and then positively engages whatever gear you select, and moves when you shift to manual mode. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - this is mine.

5. Tim (the Ineos representative from England, who was in charge of discussing the undercarriage), said that the axles were semi-float, not full-float (see: Full-Floating vs Semi-Floating Axles). For 2024, Jeep is offering full-float axles as an option in the Wrangler, and all heavy-duty trucks have full-float axles, so this was a disappointment, and a bit of a surprise given the high payload for the Grenadier (close to 2,000 pounds).

6. This is a minor issue, but a lot of the reviews I read raved about how the HVAC controls are “big and chunky”. To me, they are not that big, and do not stick-out that much from the dash, and will not be that easily adjusted with gloves. Here is an example of HVAC controls, from a Toyota 4-Runner, that can be easily adjusted wearing winter gloves; the photo also provides an example of a gear selector that moves, and positively engages into gear:

2020_transfer_case.jpg

7. The footrest intrusion on the right-hand footwell is not as bad as some online reports indicate, but it is far from ideal. If the passenger wants to place their left foot on the footrest, it is quite comfortable - for a while - but obviously not symmetrical (see first photo). However, if the passenger wants to stretch out both legs - which is necessary on long drives - they cannot sit straight. Instead, you have to pivot in the seat (to the right), but then your whole body is off-kilter in the seat (at least this was true for me, at 6' 2" tall). That was my experience - yours may differ.

Pass_footwell_1.jpg

You can't see from this photo, but my hips are not square in the seat:

Pass_footwell_2.jpg

Last edited:

nickw

Adventurer
Positive impressions:

2. The suspension is fantastic. Wheel travel is good, it articulates well, and the springs and shocks work well together to mitigate rough terrain. The Grenadier is comfortable and quiet off-road.

5. The Grenadier is solid. (a) The frame resembles that of a heavy duty pickup (e.g. Ford F250, Ram 2500); (b) The running gear (tie rod, drag link, track bar) resemble what you would see on a solid front axle Landcruiser - much beefier than a Jeep Wrangler, but not quite as stout as a heavy duty truck; (c) the axles are beefier than a Jeep Wrangler, but less stout than a heavy duty truck.

Not-so positive impressions:

5. Tim (the Ineos representative from England, who was in charge of discussing the undercarriage), said that the axles were semi-float, not full-float (see: Full-Floating vs Semi-Floating Axles). For 2024, Jeep is offering full-float axles as an option in the Wrangler, and all heavy-duty trucks have full-float axles, so this was a disappointment, and a bit of a surprise given the high payload for the Grenadier (close to 2,000 pounds).
Regarding axles - how did you know they are heavier duty than Jeep and less so than a HD truck?

FF vs SF axles is nothing new, it's a really nice option to have FF axles, but many SF axles on all the 1/2T trucks hold up fine as they do on modern LC's, I don't believe the domestic 100/200/300 series has them and the Tundra's don't either. I know the 80 series did and the 70 series still do. Outside of that you only see them on HD trucks to your point. With that said, the curb weight and GVWR on the IG is more than most 1/2T trucks and more than the 100/200's LC's and MUCH more than a jeep.

Vehicle / Curb / GVWR (approximate rounded):

Wrangler / 4500 / 5800
F150 / 5500 / 7500
LC200 / 5800 / 7300
RAM 2500 / 7000 / 10000

IG / ~5800 /~7800 (based on 2k payload)

The suspension is confusing, since if it rides well unloaded chances are when it's loaded down it's going to be all over the place. I know all the commercial / military SUV's that have a high payload are abysmal unloaded, LC70's, Gwagens (commercial spec) and all the HD trucks....crappy articulation and stiff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mitch Bears