Initial Impressions: Hankook ATM

J*C*M

Traveller
I'm posting in this section because I drive a 2005 Tacoma, and because there is no tires section. I'm new to the board though, so if the mods want to move this, go for it.

So I just replaced my worn out BFG A/T's, which everyone knows all about, with a set of Hankook ATM's. Both in a 285/75R16.

Prior to buying tires i did the normal searching and pricing. I really liked my BFG A/T's, but since they are among the most expensive tires on the market, I figured i would look around a bit more. The Hankook ATM's sprung out due to the price point, about $65 less then the BFG A/T.

I wasn't able to find much on here (or TTORA where i'm also a member), but the general reviews I was able to find were, with only one exception, absolutely great. Everyone seems to love these tires.

After only one day of driving i'm beginning to see why. The dry highway traction was just as expected. Today the sky opened up and gave me the chance to test the wet highway traction. ABOVE REPROACH. I'm very impressed. Being in San Antonio, when it rains we instantly have massive amounts of fast moving water, occasionally rather deep, covering the roads. The handling was very predictable, i experienced no hydroplaning, and just to test them a little more directly, i slammed on the brakes coming down a hill which looked more like a river at the moment, the tires bit down through the water and a came to a stop much faster then i expected.

More To Follow. Over the next month I'll have a chance to test them on a good variety of terrain between here and DC.

targa88

Explorer
Hankooks are a great tire - used MT RT03 for a couple of years. The major issue was availability (replacements when punctures are irreparable)....

I'm running these right now and they have been awesome! I've had them for about 5000 miles and I have zero complaints. They perform really well offroad too.

saburai

Explorer
Great tire!

I have run them in a 31x10.5 on my XJ for about the last 4k miles. I find them to be most excellent in all respects:victory:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Looks like they're more of a highway AT tire.

The Hankook Dynapro ATm delivers a great new choice in the light truck/SUV AT segment. It offers solid performance for drivers who spend most of their time on the highway, but occasionally get off road to hunt, fish or just recreate. It has the right performance mix and great curb appeal too.

this is probably why they performed better in the wet and onroad, just as my REVO's did. I still feel BFG's are the best fit for me at the moment, even though they do lack a little on-road manners, the offroad and snow performance makes up for that.

J*C*M

Traveller
Looks like they're more of a highway AT tire.

The Hankook Dynapro ATm delivers a great new choice in the light truck/SUV AT segment. It offers solid performance for drivers who spend most of their time on the highway, but occasionally get off road to hunt, fish or just recreate. It has the right performance mix and great curb appeal too.

this is probably why they performed better in the wet and onroad, just as my REVO's did. I still feel BFG's are the best fit for me at the moment, even though they do lack a little on-road manners, the offroad and snow performance makes up for that.

That's what i figured at first, but after reading reviews i figured i would give them a chance since they only had positive reviews off road as well. The tread pattern is as aggressive as BFG A/T's, although styled differently, and at runs at least a deep.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
From the pictures, it looks more like a Toyo OC or Nitto TG pattern? Interested to see how they do offroad. Post some pics. :D

J*C*M

Traveller
I guess I could use to wash her.

3949728759_8a56ba16de_b.jpg

3950496144_b63b91f870_b.jpg

3950505046_51ce2a4528_b.jpg

RusM

Adventurer
I just got the 265/75/16 Hankook's installed on friday and promptly took them on a 300 mile road trip. Initial impressions of this tire are very favorable, handles on road better than any other tire I have had before. They're very quiet on the road with just a slight singing at higher speeds. The tires did very well on gravel and some clay. I was even able to find some snow, and this may be the best tire I have ever had in snow! So far I am a big fan and hope they will be as good throughout their lifespan as they have been initially.

I've had these on my last two trucks in a 285 size. They are great in the Winter! I've been preaching the virtues of these tires on here for awhile and I thought it fell on deaf ears... :) Glad to see other people catching on! :victory:

greg mgm

Explorer
This is encouraging. Glad to hear these do well in the snow.

Eventually I'll be replacing the stock tires on my Tundra and these may work fine....provided they come in the right size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl