InssssssssVANity!!!!!!!......or ****** did I just fly to Maine to by a Sprinter!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
We were taking about that this morning. In "theory" a "conversion van" has all the right stuff......just not cool!

I think part of this perception comes from the terrible state of design aesthetics in the conversion van and RV industry for the last couple of decades, at least in the US. Fabrics, wood types, etc. are all stuck in some mode of trying to look "homey" and "country" or "luxe" from 20 or 30 years ago. I can't even believe the country fabric prints and oak or whitewashed birch paneling people are STILL using here in 2014. The overstuffed leather couch you just bought will probably be comfy, but how much happier would you have been if it had been upholstered in a smoother more modern "euro" style, or better yet a really durable technical fabric?

bunks-tj

Observer
I think part of this perception comes from the terrible state of design aesthetics in the conversion van and RV industry for the last couple of decades, at least in the US. Fabrics, wood types, etc. are all stuck in some mode of trying to look "homey" and "country" or "luxe" from 20 or 30 years ago. I can't even believe the country fabric prints and oak or whitewashed birch paneling people are STILL using here in 2014. The overstuffed leather couch you just bought will probably be comfy, but how much happier would you have been if it had been upholstered in a smoother more modern "euro" style, or better yet a really durable technical fabric?
And Too many windows. Like being in a fish bowl. :coffeedrink:

Cole

Expedition Leader

I agree, that is certainly part of it. That and the vans themselves are vied as crude, gas gussling, hard to park, things.

And Too many windows. Like being in a fish bowl. :coffeedrink:

VW and Mercedes campers are almost always full windowed campers and they are MUCH more popular and valuable than the "conversion vans"

bunks-tj

Observer
VW and Mercedes campers are almost always full windowed campers and they are MUCH more popular and valuable than the "conversion vans"

True enough. For me, i dont like the big low windows on the conversions. But you caught me, i have always liked vanagons and they do have a lot of glass.:26_7_2:

Cole

Expedition Leader
I do think normal sized windows would help a conversion van. The goofy shaped ill fitting windows really don't help their case

Cole

Expedition Leader
Added a new toy.....uh...tool to the garage today. A media blast cabinet. This will help satisfy some, not all, of my.....ah.....problems

You can see it hiding over there behind my 28 year old german work bench.

15450594316_9f1b6f5ef1_b_d.jpg

My Sprinter was the victim of a bad......bad respray! Here is just an example of what I mean. This is the passenger side slider door guide.

Before:

15470545431_18e997c7be_b_d.jpg

12 seconds later!

15286975530_9e9993e445_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
not a van guy, but do i spot a 951 or 944 in red and a 928 in black?

Um......did I mention that I've got a slight German car problem? :coffeedrink: Especially with P cars. They are like potato chips.....can't have just one!

Kinda an old picture. But this is my 951! I built it many years ago!

5500093301_1492d25098_b_d.jpg

7655992098_dc82f64a15_b_d.jpg

And my dream car...my "Espresso Braun Metallic" 928S4 one of one for 1987. Drive them both daily and took the 928 today!

7811537822_e8cd333885_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Sprinter life! .....after hiking with these three!

15457060276_8e10876263_b_d.jpg

Need to finish the inside of this van!

Cole

Expedition Leader
Ordered 32' of LED strips!!

Tonight was just a quick test fit of the strip inside the 80/20!

I can cut this stuff every 3" and solder in wires. So I'll be dividing it up for various places in the van. Slides right into the 80/20

15296288330_8abe83772d_b_d.jpg

mapper

Explorer
Cool progress. But, of all things, I have to ask about the tennis balls with knit sweaters....Specifically, is there an intended use? :)

Cole

Expedition Leader
Drugs man....drugs....:coffeedrink:

They tried to convice me that they were to keep people from bunking on th me corner of the cabinets.....then they got cold?.... One of their.....um...."customers" knits and made them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven