InssssssssVANity!!!!!!!......or ****** did I just fly to Maine to by a Sprinter!

Cole

Expedition Leader
Maybe the progress would be faster if I didn't leave all the work to the 3yo. :coffee drink:

25812365564_8e41a8e906_c.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
She is pretty fascinated with the vacuum at the moment. It makes noise and makes things disappear :coffeedrink: What could be more fascinating to a pre-schooler at that point?

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
She is pretty fascinated with the vacuum at the moment. It makes noise and makes things disappear :coffeedrink: What could be more fascinating to a pre-schooler at that point?

Umm, Unicorns and Clowns? :coffeedrink:

Cole

Expedition Leader
Finally got all the parts to put the front end back together. New Bilstien struts, new rotors with Brembo pads, new inner and outer tie rods.

I knew from looking at other posts that the camber was going to be off. I've got some 2* shims on the way that should be here today. Unfortunately our forecast claims upwards of 4 feet of snow at my house. So the Sprinter is going to be stuck inside for a few days.

You can see how bad the camber is here. Shims should probably be included in this kit by default.

26186700210_98c1371f33_z_d.jpg

26459554825_30b1f305aa_z_d.jpg

So here is the before and after! Definitely gave me the room I didn't have in the front fender.
26112485861_341947978d_z_d.jpg

26186701320_bcb40a73f4_z_d.jpg

Need to get the rear done next! But for the moment this will be good.

Since its inside I decided to grind down some rust and will be bed lining the lower prt of the van too. Which will cover over the tiny trimming I had done on the inside of the front fenders before.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I've really enjoyed the Sprinter but got into a holding pattern with it where we just used it and didn't do much to it for while. VanCompass introducing the lift kind of inspired me to start working on the Sprinter again. I've got a long list of things I've wanted to do but have just not taken the time to do.

We have over two feet for snow here right now so the Sprinter wasn't about to leave the shop anyway.

If you look back near the start of this thread you will see that I have always hated the silver-tan-ish color on the lower part of this van and one of the windows. It was a very poorly done job. Lots of overspray in weird spots and some rust spots and bubbles that needed work. Some of the rust spots were "bleeding" down the tan and making the van look bad.

You might have noticed in the "after" shot of the lift that there was some ground down spots on the fender where I had ground away the paint. I ground down every rust bubble and spot and sanded down all the Tan-ish part of the van.

I had two major rust problems. One was at the front edge of the passenger side slider.

26472390825_f0a892af9e_c.jpg

The other was at the rear corner of the rear drivers quarter panel. This is also a good shot to show how it was over sprayed under the bumper end cap.
26446455566_46b900657d_c.jpg

I'm far from a body work guru. I ground away all the rusty spots and fitted steel mesh to the areas and shaped it to fit. Then used metal reinforced body filler to make the area as strong as possible.

Then I Monstalinedthe whole Tan-ish part of the van with charcoal grey (Pyroclastic) bed liner. Making sure to get all the over sprayed areas inside the doors, etc.

Here is the end result.

Passenger slider. (still had one more coat of bedliner to do here and you an see its still wet, but you get the idea)

25867522864_146933a5dd_c.jpg

Driver's rear quarter.

25867524424_11c0daf11d_c.jpg

All the other spots were much smaller and not worth noting individually. They are all fixed though.

Need to head back to the shop today and do touch up and reassemble the van. But not sure I can actually get out there since some of the drifts yesterday were 3-4 feet and it has been a full blizzard all night since then.

26199542830_182879fc27_c.jpg

26199536250_9d22314657_c.jpg

26380062152_d5a84472ab_c.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Thanks. :sombrero:

I've had the Monstaliner laying here for some time. I've used it on several custom Eurovan builds for people but needed a free moment to really dive back into my own Sprinter.

Should be a nice upgrade both functionally, for longevity and aesthetically.

I've been considering removing my vinyl floor covering and just Monstalining the stock wood flooring.

I'm also thinking of doing the roof of the van next. I have a leak up there to fix and lots of scratches from trees. This would help protect the roof from further damage and fix some other bad paint work on the roof.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I like the dark gray color. Any plans to do your bumper covers to match? I'm considering the same for my van as the stock plastic fades quickly.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Surprised you didn't do the other window blank area as well to give it more of a "window" van look...

I am planning on doing the same thing on my sprinter soon - but was planning on going up to the top of the recessed area along the side. Any reason you didn't do that section?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven