InssssssssVANity!!!!!!!......or ****** did I just fly to Maine to by a Sprinter!

Cole

Expedition Leader
Surprised you didn't do the other window blank area as well to give it more of a "window" van look...

I am planning on doing the same thing on my sprinter soon - but was planning on going up to the top of the recessed area along the side. Any reason you didn't do that section?

One idea for the long term plan is to make the whole van this dark grey color and leave the recessed burgundy stripe so that it ties in with the burgundy inside the doors, seat bases, etc.

I only did the window that was already tan-ish. Wasn't sure how much of this stuff I was going to have.

I went back and touched up some things today and actually had enough left to redo my rear cargo floor.

Cole

Expedition Leader
I like the dark gray color. Any plans to do your bumper covers to match? I'm considering the same for my van as the stock plastic fades quickly.

Yes. I will probably do the bumper covers too. I wasn't exactly sure how far the gallon would go on the Sprinter so my primary goal was to cover the tan stuff first. Then maybe come back for the other bits later if I liked it.

Cole

Expedition Leader
So one gallon did the entire rockers ?

I had about a quart to spare. I used it to cover the cargo section of my floor. pretty thick coverage too!

26463964166_c81fd4990c_c.jpg

Still wet

25887060813_0e83cd8264_c.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Well, I'm not very happy with the Monstaliner right now.

The "touch ups" I did the next morning dried a different color. The whole van has misc splotches on it now. This is from the same batch I did the original liner with.

I stirred it the next morning but it should have been the exact same stuff. I've never had a batch do this before:costumed-smiley-007

Boo!!!

26486649986_a991f38c10_z_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
I'm considering my options.

-order more Monstaliner and roll on another coat.

-spray a layer of paint over it.(which I've done before with success)

4Fox

Observer
Aside from the color mismatch, the monstaliner looks pretty good. I've been looking for a DIY option.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
maybe wait and see a couple of days - I've had finishes do that and had the color midmatch going away.

I've had good luck with spraying Krylon paint over "plastic" type materials. Very good adhesion and coverage - never came off unless the bedliner under it did - and this was red over black.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Wove had good luck with it in the past and used it quite a bit.

I just build this custom Eurovan poptop conversion. The top, the rockers, bumpers, bumper step, door steps and grab handles are all the same color grey. No issues.

26057361371_b135d485b9_z_d.jpg

I also just customized the Syncro 4wd and full 4wheel disc brake conversion. The lower half of the van, bumpers, grab handles are all the same grey and even the blue stripe is Monstaliner.

25190169109_a35cd22f3e_z_d.jpg

This is the side of my Techno Blue Eurovan that is Monstalinered and tinted with th factory Techno blue metallic paint.

24465451576_bd2cf640a5_z_d.jpg

This van I did the whole bottom of the van, rockers, bumper steps, inner fenders, door handles, etc.

23027355474_a2e23460d5_z_d.jpg

I've done a couple more vans(this was starting to get excessive ). All of them I've come back to touch up before the Monstaliner is worthless, nine of them have gone patchy on me.

I'm curious to try the dark charcoal Hammerite over this though. Might give it a neat metallic sheen.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
That's brutal... That mismatch is really odd. I used liner days after adding the tint, and it was fine. I am assuming you did a power mix prior to the second application? It almost looks like the tint didn't get fully mixed in, or settled out a bit?

You catalyzed each application separately? I have noticed that excessive thinning can affect sheen, but never color! Were the temperatures radically different between applications? Supposedly 40 degrees is the limit?

Paint over it may be a good option. After 7 days you can overcoat using automotive paint.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Did a few updates to the interior.

New stainless steel locking cabinet with maple hardwood top. Matches the other maple hardwood in the van.

Might have to replace my flooring with maple soon.

Mounted my "real" bed back in the van for a bit instead of he hammock. Love both!

26274613270_7a08767b9e_z_d.jpg

Also got it out of the shop with the front lift on it. Can't wait until they have the rear available for my van.

Van drives very nice! 3 of my 4 struts/shocks were blown. They looked original. The new Bilstiens made a big difference. Since it also got new tierods, pads and rotors it drives like a new van. Don't even notice the extra height.

25941869504_0753e27402_z_d.jpg

Italia64

Observer
@Cole were the 2* camber shims enough to allow for correct alignment? The wheels looked way way off in the prior photo.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Honestly I don't know yet.

They look much more "Normal" but I haven't formally checked the alignment. I wouldn't be surprised if they need a litte more shim.

I'm headed to Moab with it tomorrow and will be paying attention to my tire temps to see where it's wearing and needing adjustment.

Drives straight.

bugeyetex

Observer
WOW!

I just spent the last few evenings reading through all 65 pages of this incredible build. I really like seeing your daughter grow up through the thread and it really shows how much time you have put into this build. I have 2 daughters myself, 2 and 4, and am shopping for a van to outfit for our adventures. I have gotten sooo many great ideas from this build.

If you are ever in the San Antonio area, I happen to be friends with one hell of a Sprinter tech in case that thing ever skips a beat. They do seem to run forever if properly maintained though. I cant tell you how many of them I have seen towed in for a neglected fuel filter.

I might have to look you up if we make it up to that neck of the woods and grab a cup of coffee. :coffeedrink: Our kids might even get along :Wow1:

We just got back from a great big 2 week Japan trip and really want to do more shorter low key trips. Thanks for all the free info, I'm off to Craigslist!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven