IntrepidXpedition 2007

OKRCON

Hey man. Cool pics and nice rig. I actually crossed paths with you on Tincup pass. You were headed to St Elmo and we were headed to Tincup. We were in the khaki Rubicon that passed by near the top of the actual pass. I saw your Expedition Portal Sticker and decided to come here and look you up. BTW, thanks for expending the energy to lift a few fingers to wave on the trail. That seemed to be a rarity up there. Wish I were still up there running the trails. A week wasn't long enough.

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
OKRCON said:
Hey man. Cool pics and nice rig. I actually crossed paths with you on Tincup pass. You were headed to St Elmo and we were headed to Tincup. We were in the khaki Rubicon that passed by near the top of the actual pass. I saw your Expedition Portal Sticker and decided to come here and look you up. BTW, thanks for expending the energy to lift a few fingers to wave on the trail. That seemed to be a rarity up there. Wish I were still up there running the trails. A week wasn't long enough.

ah...cool....i do believe i remember passing you up there....very nice trail :)

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Day 8

Day 8

Again, I had a meeting that lasted most of the day, but was still able to squeeze in a little bit of wheeling afterwards.

Today I ended up heading out to Bangs Canyon (which is right by Billings Canyon....which I ran last year in my other XJ). After that, I quickly ran out to 21 Road and ran the easier section Wally and I skipped last year. Here's some pics:

Looking back towards Junction

IMG_6606.JPG

Heading down into Bangs canyon

IMG_6671.JPG

Posing rock at the top of the other side of the canyon

IMG_6714.JPG

Looking back at the ridge that took me down into the canyon

IMG_6718.JPG

Storm rolling in

IMG_6729.JPG

21 Road into the Book Cliffs

IMG_6745.JPG

A little crawling on 21 Road

IMG_6758.JPG

Tomorrow I head back into Silverton.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I just missed those storms and was able to hit Ophir, Black Bear and some others. It would rain heavily every night. Looks like Mother Nature finally won and closed some trails down. The San Juans are absolutely incredibly.

Good luck on your trip and keep positing the great pics.

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Day 9 (1 day late)

Started out the day with a little drive through the CO National Monument to get to Rattlesnake Canyon

IMG_6787.JPG

Looking down into Rattlesnake Canyon

IMG_6851.JPG

Then I headed over to Cimarron and took Owl Creek pass back towards Ouray

IMG_6887.JPG

Chimney Rock

IMG_6915.JPG

Black Bear was still closed and the fact that it rained all night didn't help either. So I guess I will have to run it another time.

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Day 10 (yesterday)

Well, I had been in Colorado for over a week, so it was time to head out. Yesterday I left Silverton and headed over Ophir pass (and was able to get all the way across this time).

The side of Ophir I missed the first time

IMG_6964.JPG

After making it across, I headed for Gateway, CO where I entered John Brown Canyon

IMG_6991.JPG

From there I took the Castleton-Gateway Road towards Castleton......back side of the La Sals (If you consider the front side from Moab)

IMG_7017.JPG

View from the top of Polar Mesa (much better in person)

IMG_7048.JPG

Then I took Thompson Canyon to Onion Creek

IMG_7115.JPG

IMG_7136.JPG

Took the short side trip to Fisher Towers

IMG_7159.JPG

Gassede up in Moab and hit La Sal Pass. It was pretty tight until you got over the pass. There was also this talus slope

IMG_7204.JPG

Mt Peale at the pass

IMG_7210.JPG

Looped around and took Geyser Pass back....view from the top

IMG_7231.JPG

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Day 11

Shorter day today for me. Have a few things I need to take care of on the Jeep once it cools down.

Anyways, I started the day heading over Hurrah Pass

IMG_7284.JPG

Then went out to Chicken Corners

IMG_7331.JPG

From there I headed over to Lockhart Basin, which is very difficult to find the start of. Once I found it, I headed up a few miles into the canyon, but decided to turn around as I decided I really didn;t want to run a trail that long today.

So instead, I headed over to Shafer trail. Overlooking the Colorado

IMG_7413.JPG

IMG_7424.JPG

IMG_7438.JPG

Looking back at the trail (and switchbacks)

IMG_7457.JPG

Last edited:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
WOW! what a great trip!

I hope to make a trip like that next year and the route you took may well be the one I try to take.

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Day 12

Well, today I started out by finding out that the water pump that I installed last Friday has gone bad already.......was leaking from the weep hole pretty badly. So I got a later start today becuase I had to take care of that.

Started out on Spring Canyon Bottom....nice overhang on the shelf road here

IMG_7502.JPG

IMG_7512.JPG

Then I headed down Hey Joe Canyon......but it was taking me too long and I needed to get to Green River, so I did not finish it this time.

A little overgrown

IMG_7525.JPG

Where are those limb risers when you need them ;)

IMG_7545.JPG

After heading back out, I went to check out the Dellenbaugh Tunnel......unfortunately, I could not find it (The tunnel that is, I went to the end of the trail)....and I was in a hurry......so I'll have to look again next time.

Tombstone Rock

IMG_7574.JPG

IMG_7592.JPG

On my way back from the tunnel, I managed to find a nice rock that wanted to dent my wheel pretty badly....

IMG_7597.JPG

IMG_7603.JPG

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Day 12 (continued)

Nothing like changing a tire in the middle of the desert with no shade ;)

IMG_7604.JPG

I did manage to pound out the dent and fill the tire with air...and it seems to be holding. It should work OK as a spare for now, until I can replace the wheel when I get home

IMG_7608.JPG

After that setback, I headed up Rainbow Terrace

IMG_7616.JPG

IMG_7619.JPG

Finally, I was originally planning on taking the Crystal Geyser trail into Green River, but because of my delays and because I was worried about my fuel level, I decided to head out on Ruby Ranch Road and hit up I-70 to take to Green River.....which looked a lot like this

IMG_7651.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__