Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Hey HudsonZ - Interesting that you have progressed through 2 truck-based setups. At this stage in your game - could you elaborate on what prompted you to switch your setup. Also how & why you came about choosing the accc.
I have always wanted an all in one camper just never could make up my mind if I was ok with keeping something on my truck all the time. Before I went with my current setup I was going to go Vagabond but at that time I was not ok with selling my precious FR SLimlines and I didn't like how the tailgate setup was on those campers. As some of you know I have been doing builds for years now and as I get older I simply want more comfort. The more comfortable I am in the back country the more I will continue to venture out in nature. I am almost in my mid 40s now and it was either upgrade to a ACCC or go the van route. I literally almost put a down payment on a van recently but I thought long and hard and decided that I did not want to give up my off-road capabilities that enables me to get away from the crowds and get out further.

Ask Rin...Last year when I made the drive to Ok4wd from Washington I was under the impression that the Explorer Canopy and Autohome were the ultimate setup but we all joked around about me coming back out to get a ACCC. I was under the impression that I wanted to use my truck sometimes as a truck, but I was just fooling myself. I recently went on a trip to Idaho with @psychosquirrel and Hans from Mule and after camping with those guys and seeing how dialed and comfortable their setups were in the ACCC I was pretty much sold on it. Imo the ACCC is the most dialed all in one camper setup for mid size trucks plus having the amazing international community is a huge plus as well. And with customer service that Ok4wd provides its pretty easy to give those guys my money when I want to change something up. haha

At this point I am rambling but I hope that gives you some context of my thought process.. In the end are we ever really happy and completely done with our builds? Are we ever satisfied? ? Who knows maybe next year I will get a van, time will tell haha.

Last edited:

SoyBoy

I have always wanted an all in one camper just never could make up my mind if I was ok with keeping something on my truck all the time. Before I went with my current setup I was going to go Vagabond but at that time I was not ok with selling my precious FR SLimlines and I didn't like how the tailgate setup was on those campers. As some of you know I have been doing builds for years now and as I get older I simply want more comfort. The more comfortable I am in the back country the more I will continue to venture out in nature. I am almost in my mid 40s now and it was either upgrade to a ACCC or go the van route. I literally almost put a down payment on a van recently but I thought long and hard and decided that I did not want to give up my off-road capabilities that enables me to get away from the crowds and get out further.

Ask Rin...Last year when I made the drive to Ok4wd from Washington I was under the impression that the Explorer Canopy and Autohome were the ultimate setup but we all joked around about me coming back out to get a ACCC. I was under the impression that I wanted to use my truck sometimes as a truck, but I was just fooling myself. I recently went on a trip to Idaho with @psychosquirrel and Hans from Mule and after camping with those guys and seeing how dialed and comfortable their setups were in the ACCC I was pretty much sold on it. Imo the ACCC is the most dialed all in one camper setup for mid size trucks plus having the amazing international community is a huge plus as well. And with customer service that Ok4wd provides its pretty easy to give those guys my money when I want to change something up. haha

At this point I am rambling but I hope that gives you some context of my thought process.. In the end are we ever really happy and completely done with our builds? Are we ever satisfied? ? Who knows maybe next year I will get a van, time will tell haha.

ZRoamer - Thanks for the feedback. Just the opposite of your dilemma - I've owned a self-built Transit 2500 van for the last 3 years and have slept in it for 15 months total (62K miles). I love it - But I want something more nimble and will take me further away from the crowd. I've thought long and hard on putting a proper front differential on the van but due to the size and weight (8k lbs) - going down difficult tracks - may still prove to be fairly butt-clenching!
As you said in the end - there is no perfect setup - but we can always try...
Funny thing I did not know the accc even existed until 3 weeks ago - and now I am "All In"

Expedition Essentials

Approved Vendor : Expedition Essentials

You are going to love it dude: sorry to be a bad influence

seekoutbeauty

Hopefully this loads for you guys. Quick walk through of the new layout.

camodog

Adventurer

Hopefully this loads for you guys. Quick walk through of the new layout.
Awesome video and thank you for sharing!
I have been debating if I want the drawers or not. Part of me doesn’t want to give up the real estate (5’ bed) but also not climbing up to get essentials would be nice. Wife is barely 5’1” and the Jeep is on 37”s

Thank you again. Please share future videos.

jimdisc

I noticed that if you are parked on a slope (with the front of the truck lower than the back) it can be difficult to get the back door closed from the inside because the container latch wants to swing shut on its own, blocking the latch. Has anyone come up with a creative solution for that?

rvrboy

Sooooo.... I am excited right now.. and I think you guys/gals should be too!

I a few weeks back I dropped my truck off at Goosegear to allow them to get their hands on the camper in person and take another look at some of the things they might be able to do.
They made some modifications and some tweaks and also got the creative juices flowing.
I dropped my truck off again Monday morning and allowed them to do their thing...

There are a few of you in here that want to have sleeping platforms for kiddos and pets... and they answered that call.
They also made a bench to sit on... they made tables for you to use in the camper and play cards on... they made a platform for you to store really large things on (Slide objects too big for the back door through the side door... There is a joke here - HUSH)
The possibilities and options are limited only by your imagination.

I have a few things I am going to add to the camper this weekend and next week and then I will post up a youtube walk around so you guys can get a better feel for it.

I have to say... the group of owners in here and the vendors that @rino has included in these build outs have truly made the Canopy Camper the ultimate midsize overland setup.
SO STOKED RIGHT NOW!

qqPFo0s.jpg

Sweet layout!

rvrboy

Ok Im finally selling my Alu Cab Explorer Canopy, Autohome RTT, and Drifta drawers setup and moving over to a Canopy Camper. I blame @psychosquirrel @rino and Hans for "encouraging" me to make the change. Haha See you soon Rin. ;)

DSC06905

798F9952-992E-40DD-B3D8-33E5D6D9240C

DSC06930 (1)

Looks like the new EE Maxtrax mount on the Tacoma Alu-Cab CC. Wondering if I could get some impressions on use and if the Canopy Camper wing door can support the weight and remain open? Been struggling with a good way to mount Maxtrax where they would be easily accessible. I've already got a lot of weight hanging off the back of my build and like the idea of putting the weight between the wheels!

Expedition Essentials

Approved Vendor : Expedition Essentials
Looks like the new EE Maxtrax mount on the Tacoma Alu-Cab CC. Wondering if I could get some impressions on use and if the Canopy Camper wing door can support the weight and remain open? Been struggling with a good way to mount Maxtrax where they would be easily accessible. I've already got a lot of weight hanging off the back of my build and like the idea of putting the weight between the wheels!

The only thing I did with mine was upgrade the struts to 80lbs.

Door opens as normal.

Check out Guden. They have a wide range of gas struts available

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal