Is it really that bad?

Scott Brady

Founder
I have never understood the obsession with reliability in an adventure vehicle. Sure, you do not want something that is cobbled together and ready to die at any moment, but a Land Rover of any vintage can be maintained far from that threshold. If the car does it for you- drive it. Maintain it, take care of it and then fix it if something breaks. I can only think of a few of my trips where ultimate reliability was paramount. Antarctica for sure, and maybe the Canning Stock Route or the Skeleton Coast, but in the information age, we can develop a pretty good plan for managing risk and contacting others for help. I would drive my Discovery around the world tomorrow. If it broke down, that is all part of the adventure. I often see the obsession with reliability as a fear of the unknown- they want to control the experience, and that has never been the point. . .

czenkov

Adventurer
RNA7412.jpg If you like pop tops. Import a 3 door 110 (not that difficult - I did one) and call Roversnorth to get one of these - I am still contemplating one. You will have to get creative with 3 people...or get a five door (more expensive).

LR's are great fun to drive and work on. Get one you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven