Is it really that bad?

Ultralite

Adventurer
With regards to "electrical issues", in many cases that is an absolutely overblown catch-all excuse that people use to explain their dislike of Land Rovers. Just about every electrical problem I've encountered is caused by either A) the owner or other shop messing with the wiring to install something, or B) corrosion in terminals or grounds.
[/url]

Thank you, this has been my suspicion. Recently I had some issues with the instrument panel of my Westy. I removed the instrument panel, cleaned all terminals/wire connections, and replaced a headlight switch because after 40 years the rheostat wore out. And, voila! Everything works properly. I could have groused about electric issues but I decided to just sit down with my wiring diagrams and fix it instead. (I had never done electric diagnostics prior to that because there had never been a need).

NYCRover

Observer
DWeb has a wealth of information, but has been less active recently and is infamous for its members being a real cast of characters.

I've also found landroverforums.com to be a good source of information (lots of technical sticky threads) on particularly quirky issues with my disco. The silver lining from older LRs needing TLC is that you can bet that someone else has had the exact same issue you are facing and its unlikely that you'll be there trying to reinvent the wheel.

Good luck.

Ultralite

Adventurer
Everyone, these replies have been helpful and most appreciated. As I'm still climbing the learning curve I'd appreciate any additional opinions on narrowing my search to vehicle and era. For context, a little more background on my ownership profile:

On the old VW I do ALL work. I've dropped the engine to replace fuel lines and I'm currently putting finishing touches on a complete interior replacement (reupholstered seats, etc).

The VW is basically stock, the previous owner did bore it out slightly during a rebuild but as far as maintenance and care goes, it's just like it always was. And stock tends to be my preference.

I drive the VW in all conditions. We do our camping in national forests, traveling service roads. These are my favorite too. I've even "off-roaded" it with water up to the doors. But I don't have a taste for rock crawling.

On my modern vehicles I do all my own work except when I get pinched for time. In that case I have an independent shop I go to.

In the past I have tended to own vehicles with long production runs like a Suburban. More specifically, I think in terms of shopping owners and engines as I tend to buy used and engines with long production runs become legendary for a reason.

I was reading one of Scott Brady's builds and he said something to the effect of having a preference for "pinnacle vehicles" that have EFI and 70 mph stability. I agree with this statement but among LRs I'm not exactly sure where that puts me in a search as I am still unfamiliar with what is available here in the southeastern US. I'm in Atlanta.

And that reminds me of one final note; since I'm in Atlanta A/C would be nice. Last summer my son and I had a national forest trip planned and the temp was 99 degrees, in Friday afternoon stop and go traffic. We were supposed to take the VW but opted for the Suburban instead due to the heat. We were bummed about that. (Still had an awesome weekend in the Nantahala though)

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Find a nice Range Rover classic. these were available in the USA from 1987 up to 1995. A lot of people like the 95s because they have an "updated" interior (basically carryover from the Discovery). For what you are describing, I bet a 93-95 Range Rover LWB would fit nicely. You could also look at Discoveries, but they are more pedestrian and don't have the same vintage flair as a Range Rover.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Go to any marque specific site and you'll find people asking about fixes for their broken junk. Block you're ears for this one.....ready????? Psstt.... Even Toyota's have their issues. It's just that the people who have sampled the cool-aid are too marque-inebriated to admit it.

Just go into it like everything else.....informed!

optimusprime

Proffessional daydreamer.
It seems most of the people I know in Land Rovers owned VW's at one point.

What I tell most people is if you know how to work on cars you'll enjoy Land Rovers, if you go to a garage for every creak and shimmy, stay away.

I also argue that at this point the older Discoveries and even Series are reliable in that all the issues are known. If something goes wrong with my Disco 1 it isn't a new problem, someone has already experienced it and solved the issue. The resources that are out there make maintaining one of these cars easy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This.
If you can maintain a westy, you can maintain a classic landy. Ok the major components will be heavier to handle and can be awkward to manouvre if your working by yourself,but its just like a grown up meccano kit.
Older series/defenders/early Disco electrics are basic in design,and are probably the easiest to troubleshoot ..... However they are also easiest to make unreliable as its also so easy to splice into to fit accessories, not an issue if done correctly ....... But can cause problems if bodged.

I've had a few Landrovers ..... And most major issues with them have been of my own making.

bri

Adventurer
The electrical issues that one might hit in rrc, d1 can be baffling. Rumors and overblown exaggeration are based on reality as are costs to repair. But there is truth to them. P38 is notorious for them and there is truth to to costs of parts and frequency or repair.

I do not believe though that any brand is a ton better if you are talking pre 2000 although toyota might be the the obvious reliability winner. I have owned 3 d1, 2 rrc and p38. 1 rrc had cracked liner but price was good. Heating and cooling in rrc suck. D1 have been good once dialed in from prior owner neglect. P38 is awesome (knocking on wood). Just don't like reliabilty of later model d2 so have not gone there yet.

optimusprime

Proffessional daydreamer.
If keep forgetting you got different versions stateside to us here in the uk.
First generation Disco with 200tdi is mechanically basic,and easy to maintain .... The bodywork corrosion issues on the other hand are never ending.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
P38 Range Rover did have some electrical teething problems... although I would argue that most are indeed overblown.

P38 electrical issues:

HVAC head unit (usually just pixels burning out)
HVAC blend door motors (kind of a pain to fix but also livable to ignore usually)
Door latches failing (by far the worst, difficult job to fix)
BECM issues (seem to have subsided, usually caused by water or beverages getting to it)

Really not much else?

Other P38 issues:

Various air suspension faults (just convert to coils)
Standard Rover V8 leaks
Heater core o-rings leak

Thats about it, from memory. Other standard vehicle issues still apply but those are the things really unique to the 95-02 RR

Last edited:

roverandom

Adventurer
Just buy an older LR in the best running condition you can afford. You will find out pretty quickly if you like it or not.
If you do, great.
If not, a good older LR always retains its value so you will be able to get your money back.

Oh, and try to keep away from consumer rating websites.....they are for toasters, vacuum cleaners, Toyota's and other appliances.

MrWesson

Adventurer
Although I don't own one and haven't I have been in and out of the market for discos, RR, and lr3's.

Buy a scan tool before you start looking for one. I bought a cheap chinese knock off one that hooks up the laptop. This gave me the capablity to read the "3 amigo's" that tend to show up. It also gave me the capability to clear them as well.

The tool gives you the capability to track down the specific wheel sensor that is causing the ABS code,etc.

I'm surprised it hasn't been talked about much but what scares me about land rovers is the head gasket issues that seem to affect almost every model.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Head gasket issues really only affect D2's from 99-04 and some P38s in the same time period (although not as prolific).

Rover V8s prior to the D2 were known to be a 200K mile engine largely...

Ultralite

Adventurer
Buy a scan tool before you start looking for one. I bought a cheap chinese knock off one that hooks up the laptop. This gave me the capablity to read the "3 amigo's" that tend to show up. It also gave me the capability to clear them as well.

I do have a ScanGauge I use with my modern vehicles and it provides codes which I then typically look up online. I wonder if that would suit? What are the "3 Amigos"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven