issue removing factory roof rack

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Today I went to remove the factory rack and when I attempted to remove the screws most of the nut inserts just spun in their holes, how do I get them out?

DirtyDC05

Adventurer
Maybe try putting something under the rack between it and the roof to keep tension on the fastener while unscrewing it.

eurosonic

Expedition Leader
I had the same thing happen to me. I used my drill with the correct socket. I pushed the rack upwards as much as I could and gunned it with my drill. After few attempts it came loose.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I had the same thing happen to me. I used my drill with the correct socket. I pushed the rack upwards as much as I could and gunned it with my drill. After few attempts it came loose.

I used my DeWalt impact driver on it with the correct screw bit, maybe I didn't put enough pressure under the rack. And what did you plug the holes with after?

russya

Mine did the same thing and to get it loose I had to remove the roof liner and have my sun hold the inserts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Did you ever end up getting the roof rack off?

I did indeed, if I were to do it over again I would simply get taller towers/feet to clear the factory rack. I basically had to rip the old rack off and yank the nut inserts out with vise grips and a hammer, put a few dents in the roof in the process. Holes are now covered with white duct tape and from 20 feet away it blends in well enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guapstyle