Isuzu NPR 4x4 Beast! - Rebelzilla by Rebel Off Road

DzlToy

Explorer
REBEL OFF ROAD said:
We decided to hard mount the rear box to the frame on Rebelzilla and have the suspension do all the work for us. Suspension is what we specialize here at Rebel. This eliminated the need for suspension seats or a pivoting frame. In the rear its a 3 link with trailing arms. King 3" coilover and 2.5" 3 tube bypass w/ remote resi. In the front is a radius arm suspensions setup with King 3" coliovers and 2.5" 3 tube bypass w/ remote resi.

SO glad to see that someone gets this. A truck frame is not supension. Neither are flat leaf springs with 2" of uptravel before you slam into your rubber bump stops.

What is the plan for the truck? Chase truck, race support, show truck, expo?

Looks good

CYRUS888

Observer
SO glad to see that someone gets this. A truck frame is not supension. Neither are flat leaf springs with 2" of uptravel before you slam into your rubber bump stops.

What is the plan for the truck? Chase truck, race support, show truck, expo?

Looks good

Unless your talking about a Unimog where the frame is part of the suspension

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 101

tienckb

Adventurer
Man you guys don't mess around. Sick rig!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2002 LX470 expo ready
2008 Ford E350 EB V10 4x4 Sportsmobile PH top
Custom off road trailer

CYRUS888

Observer
That image depicts articulation sir. Suspension that is not.

Yes I agree that it is NOT a suspension but your previous statement implies that a truck frames should be rigid where as the Unimog does not which is all I'm pointing out. Mercedes built the unimog thinking out of the box which the Rebel crew are doing as well in their own right.
I should have used the word "AID" with the suspension instead of "PART" of it's suspension which I think is an amazing engineering feat. So when you say that your glad to see some gets it that a frame has to be rigid, I guess count me as one of those that don't get it...:confused:
Sorry rebel crew... Back to the regular chanel of awesomeness

javajoe79

Fabricator
I've been reading up on modification done to these chassis and it seems that the factory is very concerned about where you weld to the frame. Looking at all the stock structure on my NPR and every bit is bolted or riveted. It seems as if this is the factory covering their own asses because they don't trust others to modify their truck. Am I correct on that? Seems like there shouldn't be an issue if the welds are solid.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
Well here's the deal... medium/heavy truck frames like the NPR are designed to moderately flex and twist. Welding to the frame can create unpredictable stress risers and heat damage to the metal, leading to cracking and failure in those areas as the frame flexes normally.

Not sure what the long term service life will be of the truck in this thread, but it sure as hell doesn't fall into the design criteria for a medium duty box truck. So it's a bit of unknown territory.

CYRUS888

Observer
Well here's the deal... medium/heavy truck frames like the NPR are designed to moderately flex and twist. Welding to the frame can create unpredictable stress risers and heat damage to the metal, leading to cracking and failure in those areas as the frame flexes normally.

Not sure what the long term service life will be of the truck in this thread, but it sure as hell doesn't fall into the design criteria for a medium duty box truck. So it's a bit of unknown territory.

You didn't just say frames were designed to flex did you?! Now DzlToy would be all over you :coffeedrink:

REBEL OFF ROAD

Supporting Sponsor
Wanted to share the steps that were designed to get into the rear cabin. Unfortunately these photos don't show the action that these stairs perform when folded in. You probably can tell that they fold flat when raised. We'll post a video of the stairs performing the folding actions very soon.

28322206221_9836c673b5_c.jpg

28322206051_6fb2b9b290_c.jpg

28118277000_de41aa3d5a_c.jpg

28118277380_516dac5f2c_c.jpg

REBEL OFF ROAD

Supporting Sponsor
Here's and update on the cage that has been installed inside of Rebelzilla. You can also see the headliner that's been put in recently as well. Its a micro suede that has a black finish. You also might be able to see the wire harness that's hanging from the headliner. We'll go more into that on a separate post.

29027368925_49b906510a_c.jpg

28994573466_bd3f5689d2_c.jpg

28409973443_d403f115b5_c.jpg

29027368735_cc06b4f1a1_c.jpg

28994574986_4edc7b01d7_c.jpg

28994573216_a25cbe8e81_c.jpg

29027368535_3101cb1b5d_c.jpg

28994573816_5eeb9979cc_c.jpg

28407136554_b3bff2df93_c.jpg

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Outstanding build with top notch components, I'm loving every post. I'm curious if you did a pro/con list against starting with a Stewart & Stevenson/Brazo's truck vs the NPR? I ask because I'm keenly interested in the S&S truck, Cat engine, Allsion trans, CTIS as a complete package off the assembly line.

REBEL OFF ROAD

Supporting Sponsor
Carpet is being installed. It's crunch time here at the shop. Putting the final touches so she can head off to SEMA. We'll be dumping tons of photos over the next two weeks as well as information related to SEMA (Scheduling meetings).

45c4c59b08cdcde2b5a3b554edfe94bd.jpg
17a108405f28571a0da4bf9f09247ab4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven