Isuzu to stop US production in 2009

jingram

Adventurer
Ugh... sad to see this happen, although after the switch to a purely GM based lineup, it seemed inevitable.

outsidr

Adventurer
They will continue to manufacture parts for 8 years and honor vehicles with Warranty. They are re writing a service agreement with current dealers to make sure customers are taken care of. It is in result of GM retiring the platform early.

I am sure there are dealerships that will drop the franchise but it is a great time to get a deal on a Colorado platform (i-290,i-370) and I can ship parts to anywhere in the us for the next 8 years. Like the man said, make the lemonade.. I have Mahindra coming 1st quarter of '09 so it doesn't phase us.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Sad to see....but...didn't Toyota just purchase about 7% of Isuzu? I'm thinking we'll see some good things on the diesel front when Toyota's engineers chat with the Isuzu guys....

-H-

Incusus

Adventurer
ya, read that on the

expeditionswest said:
When the Trooper left, they left...

too true, although the handwriting was on the wall when they sold out to GM's unified platform bs in the late 80's :mad: :mad: :mad:

"yes! lets give away our engineering in return for financial backing and cheap parts only to have the rug pulled out from under us when crappy GM versions of our cars don't sell..."

*OR...*

"Hey guys, I have a great idea! lets take our take our Giorgetto Giugiaro designed, Lotus engineered Isuzu Impulse Turbo and give it to the Americans! Maybe they can turn it into a huge pile of crap and call it the "Geo Storm" or something...":oops:

Incusus

Adventurer
Hltoppr said:
Sad to see....but...didn't Toyota just purchase about 7% of Isuzu? I'm thinking we'll see some good things on the diesel front when Toyota's engineers chat with the Isuzu guys....

-H-

Sadly, probably not. Isuzu still has a joint venture with GM for diesel engines (Duramax), I'd I'm betting part of that agreement is not to share with the competition...:(

teotwaki

Excelsior!
This is really good news!

Almost every day on the freeway and the offramp I have Isuzu employees in new model company cars with dealer plates who are speeding, cutting folks off and never use turn signals while rushing to their building.

Good riddance to all of them.

(Yes, I've called and complained with specific info but no results and a generally uncaring attitude from them is my reward)

Incusus

Adventurer
teotwaki said:
This is really good news!

Almost every day on the freeway and the offramp I have Isuzu employees in new model company cars with dealer plates who are speeding, cutting folks off and never use turn signals while rushing to their building.

Good riddance to all of them.

(Yes, I've called and complained with specific info but no results and a generally uncaring attitude from them is my reward)

wow... thats really... uh... WOW.

I'm not sure what to make of your post to be honest.

Yes! Less employment!
Yes! Less of a knoledgebase in the US!
Yes! Less options!
All for a minimally less crowded highway lane in one area of one city of one state?

are you serious????~??

AKTrooper

Observer
Not entirely suprising news

I own a 1998 Isuzu Trooper and the model has some amazing off road lines in that it is clearly designed to handle rough roads and heavy loads. I have also been complimentary in the past for it's over-all performance and ride characteristics. That said, the engine eats oil like there is no tomorrow and I find it amazing that this type of fault was let out for production from a company that makes more engines than anything else. I don't mind working on the Trooper as I can get at things and aftermarket parts are somewhat affordable, problem has been that something needs "getting after" almost every month and this has gotten old. My Dad was so impressed with my Trooper's performance he recently purchased his own 2001 model and I really hope he doesn't get nickel dimed to death the way I have been these past two years. Compared to Toyota or Honda I can see why they struggled to compete in the US and the writing seemed to be on the wall for thier exit these last few years. The only ones denying it was the Isuzu corporate newsletter so given this most recent announcement I wouldn't put much stock in anything they printed, past or present. No, in my humble opinion Isuzu needs to move on and leave this market with a few hard lessons learned about quality control and the level of competition this side of the pacific.

peekay

Adventurer
I had a '93 Trooper, my first 4x4. IMO, the body on that SUV was perfect. Not too big, yet roomy as hell inside and with GREAT visibility. It makes the current 4-Runner feel like a coffin. The only problem was all the minor issues it had, particularly electrical.

boblynch

Adventurer
peekay said:
I had a '93 Trooper, my first 4x4. IMO, the body on that SUV was perfect. Not too big, yet roomy as hell inside and with GREAT visibility. It makes the current 4-Runner feel like a coffin. The only problem was all the minor issues it had, particularly electrical.

I agree completetly. Best combo of storage, visibility, and offroad handling I've driven in an SUV. Wish the GM/Izuzu partnership would have built on this platform rather than the parade of brands that have failed since. A "Power Wagon" edition of the Trooper (f/r lockers, skid plates, manual tranny, cloth interior, integrated winch, upgrade wheels/tires, etc.) with the upcoming Duramax 4.5L diesel would be terrific. IMHO this body style would be vastly superior to the H3.

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh