J8 Expedition Project:

Scott Brady

Founder
We have been driving and testing a J8 for the past six months, and have started a series of modifications preparing the vehicle for significant international travel (think South America). This project will be exclusive to Expedition Portal, so progress will be covered in much more detail. The truck will be debuting at the Hollister, CA Overland Rally.

J8_Intro_.jpg

A quick introduction:

This is an Egyptian specification 1.25 Ton J8 with RHD and the VM turbo-diesel. We initially received the vehicle for performance evaluation against like applications (70 series, 110, G-Class, etc.) and it is now being modified for extended distance/time expedition travel.

Expeditions West was one of the first [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6UlZwyuQmw"][/ame] outside of Chrysler to test the J8 in 2009, and we are certainly the first to modify and prep one of these trucks for overland travel.

While not inexpensive, it is possible to assemble this vehicle just as we are by contacting AEV and Adventure Trailers. In comparison, this vehicle complete (when finished), will be about 20-30% less $$$ than the XV-JP we built for Central America with a greater emphasis on simplicity and extreme durability.

Serious air filter. We will be fitting a raised air intake as well (changing from the hood level one)
J8_Intro_1.jpg

Factory fire extinguisher - a nice touch (love the cyrillic too)
J8_Intro_2.jpg

Simple, clean interior
J8_Intro_7.jpg

VM 4-Cyl 2.8L Turbo-diesel. It is magic- trust me, and was tuned by Mopar to 400 ft. lbs.
J8_Intro_3.jpg

HD front and rear bumpers and recovery points. The recovery points are also certified for air lift.
J8_Intro_4.jpg

J8_Intro_6.jpg

Termal Imaging Camera - Why not ;)
J8_Intro_5.jpg

J8_Intro_8.jpg

Some images from the early testing routes, including upchuck in Moab. This vehicle is only fitted with a rear LSD in the Dana 60 axle
J8_Intro_%20(1).jpg

J8_Intro_%20(2).jpg

Mario from Adventure Trailers has taken on this project personally, and some incredible progress has been made while I was traveling the Silk Road. Most importantly, this will be the proof of concept vehicle for the new AT Habitat unit. Look for updates from Mario in this thread every couple days as we lead up to Hollister and SEMA

Last edited:

stolenheron

Explorer
that camera would be a blast. considering most of my outings are based around spotting wildlife, I'd be all over that thing.

got any more info on it?

and that is one sweet jeep out of the box.

alosix

Expedition Leader
Looks like a nice build going on there.

<rant>
I dunno about anyone else though, but I'm starting to get really frustrated from hearing about how cool the J8 is and still no concrete way of getting one in the states.
</rant>

alosix

Expedition Leader

Its possible to be put on an indefinite wait list for when Chrysler gets their act together to allow it to happen.

There's a few of us here on said list, but I'm guessing you've noticed the lack of 'I just got my J8!!!!' posts.

Sorry for the rant in the build thread, the truck looks to be coming together nicely. Its just like seeing you guys build up a new D110 and showing how cool it is and knowing how hard it would be to duplicate that.

Jason

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
AEV has been prepared for delivery for a while now, just waiting on Chrysler. Projects like this may be exactly what Chrysler and the general public need to see to get them in gear for delivery to AEV. I am very excited to see more to come!

jingram

Adventurer
AEV hasn't shipped any yet Moose, at least to my knowledge, even though some people have had deposits out there for over a year. I guess with the bankruptcy proceedings and the post shakeup with the Fiat merger, AEV has sort of hit a brick wall, at least that was my understanding. If Dave from AEV ever pops in again, maybe he can comment on it a little more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater