Jackknifing on the trail

greentruck

Adventurer
I do OK backing up, once I'm warmed up. However, unless you're in one of those professions where you get lots of on-the-job practice, it's a good idea to take the opportunity to practice before you get to the rough stuff.

Living in the Midwest, there's lots of time on the highway before we get to the trailhead for me to practice a few backing maneuvers. The trick is finding a place to embarrass yourself a time or two safely before you get back in the habit of backing.:sombrero:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I've been getting sone practice with mine, and my confidence has gone way up. I can now back up into my sideyard to park the trailer and rig unassisted. But the trail is another matter altogether. I have not figured out how to back up straight. The trailer wants to go to one side or the other no matter how straight the front tires are. I recently tried a small hill climb in deep sand and didn't make it. Reversing back down I jacknifed because the trail was narrow and steep. I couldn't turn the front end enough to counter the trailers turn. That was frustrating.

So what do you do on narrow trails ? How do you get the trailer to reverse straight?

TacoDell

Adventurer
My spare tire is mounted, centered over the drawbars,
doubles as a deflector/bumper when the trailer is jacked to 90* and a little beyond.

Helps keep the side of my junk dent free, as I prefer :)

Should be obvious that my M100's tongue needed to be lengthened... in order to accomplish my goal.
And that a bumper that offers side protection is important.

drawbarandsparetiremountM100007.jpg

drawbarandsparetiremountM100009.jpg

M100drawbarextension0034.jpg

M100drawbarextension0038.jpg

^ this was during mock up... but didn't have any other pictars in a 90*, that shows the final product.
But it can be easily seen in the last pictar, that the spare acts as the 90*+ stop, up against the bumper's side protection hoop...
without anything else making contact, I might add.
And the tire will deflect/absorb some (dependant on PSI)... so making contact at 90* is not a real big worry...
for most usual duties.

pi_arrowdown.gif
this was the final positioning of the forward ST mount.

here's a look at it completed... functions and serves well :)

Coverfinalfitment24.jpg

Last edited:

matt s

Explorer
TacoDell, that is a nice setup. Were the wooden sideboards on my trash hauler one inch further forward they would have hit my bumper in the same way your tire does. I like the spare tire idea, that may be a simple elegant solution.

greentruck

Adventurer
I've been getting sone practice with mine, and my confidence has gone way up. I can now back up into my sideyard to park the trailer and rig unassisted. But the trail is another matter altogether. I have not figured out how to back up straight. The trailer wants to go to one side or the other no matter how straight the front tires are. I recently tried a small hill climb in deep sand and didn't make it. Reversing back down I jacknifed because the trail was narrow and steep. I couldn't turn the front end enough to counter the trailers turn. That was frustrating.

So what do you do on narrow trails ? How do you get the trailer to reverse straight?

One thing that helps is to keep your hands at the BOTTOM of the steering wheel when backing. This way your hands automatically (well, almost) go in the opposite direction to move the trailer where you want it. If you don't think about it too much, it does help.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy

As soon as the trailer moves to either side attack it with the steering wheel turning the top of the wheel the direction the trailer wants to go. Remember you control the trailers movement with your vehicle not the other way around. It does not matter if your wheels are straight, in time the trailer is going to move to either side so depending how fast or slow the trailer turns you have to be ready for it. You can drive 30ft in a straight line and not move the steering wheel,back up 10ft and the trailer will start to turn. I could teach you somewhere if you desire and really need some help but with practice you will get down.Set up cones or cups ect and just practice.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Yeah that doesn't work on narrow trails where there isnt room to swing the nose of the vehicle one way or the other.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader

In tight situations, you'd be surprised how much just moving forward just a little bit and turn the wheel hard in the opposite direction will quickly straighten the trailer out. Then you can proceed to reverse again. This is much faster and more effective in tight spots than trying to correct while reversing after the trailer has gone too far to one side. With more practice, you'll be able to anticipate what the trailer is doing. A lot of times I'll go ahead and pick a side and let it start in that direction and then turn into that side to control it. I find that easier than waiting for the trailer to decide which side it's going to drift to. Go to a parking lot with lots of room and try backing into parking slots from various angles. You'll get better at it over time.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Yeah that doesn't work on narrow trails where there isnt room to swing the nose of the vehicle one way or the other.

Yes it can be done,If you can drive into it you can back out of it. It takes practice. I have backed out of the road that leads down into the squeeze with a trailer, I also have backed out of some sand caynons in Borrego.Not knocking anyones ability to back up with a trailer but it can be done just take your time.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
I think whenever you have time, backing out the trailer can be done, maybe with a little bit of "cheating", like lifting the trailer up with a HiLift and pushing it over back on track. The only situation that really scares me is not making a hill climb and sliding back down the hill with the trailer attached :yikes: :smilies27

volksnick

New to the site! Saw this discussion and I thought the steerable trailer was a neat idea, but seemed too complicated for something I would build. So it got me thinking what would I do?

What about running electric brakes and then wiring them up to be able to run them separately? That way, if you were in a pickle and had to work around it, you could lock up one side and drag it, and somewhat steering the rear as you go? I have no experience to back this up, but I thought I'd throw it out there. What do ya'll think? Will it just plow the tire?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I think whenever you have time, backing out the trailer can be done, maybe with a little bit of "cheating", like lifting the trailer up with a HiLift and pushing it over back on track. The only situation that really scares me is not making a hill climb and sliding back down the hill with the trailer attached :yikes: :smilies27

I was on a very small hill, but when the trailer went sideways and I tried to turn out of it, I got a bit sideways to the slope and was very uncomfortable. I tried to go back up hill to straighten out, but just dug in more. I eventually just it jackknife and pushed the trailer down the hill far enough so that I could drive off at a less precarious angle, like a banked turn.

Here is a photo of the spot, just before I jackknifed. I started out one car length ahead of this photo spot, where the dark fresh dug up sand is.

IMG_0992.jpg

TacoDell

Adventurer
:wings: Hey someone gets it.

don't see how it's all that hard to understand...
just didn't think I needed to put my Capt. Obvious costume on ! ?

JMO, but if one takes risk... things that can go wrong... will
especially if one is unprepared for the possible outcome.

1. always wheel with a partner (2nd vehicle strap/winch)
or, be properly outfitted and capable of self-recovery

2. always station another rig above your climb... (winch or strap) prior to the accent.
or be sure there are stationary points of which one can winch off.

also a rig at the bottom can strap to the trailer and try to drag and realign that some, to the tow rig's position.
Be sure the tow vehicle and trailer are secure from above... before attempting this type of maneuver.

IMO... involving a precarious tow predicament...
...it is better to go forward... then rearward.
and so... one should prepared ahead of time for that.

common sense judgment comes to play... and knowing your tow rigs capability and limits, would make for wiser decisions on whether it's capable of the accent intended.

If one is not 100% sure of a successful accent... then it shouldn't be attempted until you have all the safety margins in place and ready to assist.

If neh to the above ?.. well... then have fun with 'er. :)

matt s

Explorer
TacoDell I knew you and I were on the same page.

Didn't mean to come off as a jerk, was just getting frustrated at the "learn to drive a trailer" comments. Really it's my fault for not expressing myself clearly at the get go.

BTW agree with all the advice about assessing risk and using judgement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk