Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Trip report time

So a group of us, the Cruiser Club, decided it was time to tackle a trip to Bass Camp in the Excelsior Mtns south of Hawthorne, NV. Bass Camp is an old miners camp from around the turn of the century. The prospector and his wife spent 20 years living/working the claim. Once it played out, they left for the Yukon. What a life.

The trip started out on Friday with me, my wife and our usual traveling buddy, Spressomon in his well built 100 series LC and Kimberly Camper. We decided to take the long way down and stopped for breakfast in Wellington, NV and headed down to Bridgeport, CA. We decided to refuel and spoke with the attendant who let us know our original route was still snowed in, so we decided to take the Bodie to Aurora Canyone route down to Lucky Boy Pass.

East of Bodie

Lucky Boy Pass, stopped for lunch. My wife, who is my chief navigator noticed both a road going up the hill and on the map that looked intriguing. After lunch, we decided to give it a try.

Making the climb, from 8300' to over 10k.

We hit some snow drifts and finally at just over 10k we found one that stopped us. I was leading, and it was time to back up (which is always fun).

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
So we found a spot to turn the trailer/LC combo around. You can see the road behind the trailer that was our turn around point. Unfortunately, we learned later, that bad things happened on the turn around. We heard a click, click from the front driver's side outer CV...

Turned around and heading back down.

Looking back.

As we were driving down Lucky Boy Pass Rd., Spresso noticed the front was "feeling" weird. We turned onto the highway and as we were making our link up to the next stretch of dirt, Spresso blurted on the radio, "I got parts flying." And I saw smoke. We pulled to the shoulder and realized that the CV had let go. Spresso's trip was done.

We pulled over at the right spot though, as it was a NDOT sand storage area, so we had plenty of wild, solid ground to work. Out came the front driveshaft and Spresso's trail fix drive plates. He locked the t-case in and headed home.

That left the Wife and I to continue the journey.

The rest of the crew was set to meet up in Mina on Saturday morning to begin the hunt for Bass Camp.

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
We made it to camp and once we had everything set up and had dinner, we took a walk and saw a hornytoad lizard, we saw him three times total, so we christened the spot as Camp Hornytoad.

Here is the camp mascot.

We met up with the rest of the crew on Saturday morning and headed down to the remains of Murietta and started our way up the canyon toward our goal. We worked our way up and came to a "Guzzler" and the only one of our group that had ever been there, was on an atv some years ago and he was just following, so it took us a while to figure out the trail. From the guzzler, we started up what is labeled as a Jeep Road. Pretty much the only thing using the road any more are ATV's. On the shelf.

After a lot of small trail time, we found it. The infamous Bass Camp.

The entire crew.

After lunch, we headed back.

And then we finally found a spot too small/rough for a stock truck. We had turned up the canyon to continue our (new trail from this point on) journey.

There was a small ledge that was too tall for the approach angle, open diff, belly dragger Chevy, so I attempted the bypass. Unfortunately, it was all depocomposing granite, so imagine a course sand. I buried the truck and made it to within a few millimeters of taking the bed out on the rocks.

After a lot of winching, jacking, rock stacking, help, snatch blocking, etc, we got the chevy out of it's hole.
Here is the ledge.

The only damage and that was from a rock being thrown into place. A big thanks to the Battle Born Cruisers of Northern Nevada for the rescue.

Last edited:

bob91yj

Resident **************
I read about your baja trip, great times.

Are you saying to carry extra TRE with the Kryptonite steering? Jack

No, my steering is currently the factory stuff, so I carry a spare rod/end. The Kryptonite steering linkage is on my upgrade list.

The Dmax on our Baja trip had the Kryptonite steering. Ryan was not gentle with that truck, I was impressed with how his entire build held up. Ryan's Dmax build thread is here...http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969106&highlight=

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
As we were heading back to camp, it poured and poured, not to mention the lightning and thunder. We got back to camp and the other two that were going to be camping with us, decided they didn't want to set up camp in the rain, so they headed out. We toughed it out, had dinner had a little over an hour of dry time and decided to make a run for it. We packed up and headed for home. Got rained on as we were heading back, so we avoided a rainy night of camping.

The truck (for being stock) did awesome. The factory aluminum skid plate took a beating, but overall I was impressed. The ride needs help (the stock shocks suck). And it needs some Deaver's in the rear.

When I got home my DMax Store Kryptonite steering parts were waiting on my doorstep. Install will come later, now it is time for cleanup.

Jack

paul_arc

Great truck, you will love it. With over 130k on my 07' lbz and 60k on my 06' lbz there hasnt been a single problem.

heres my 06' on 285's, H2's, and cognito leveling kit. If you crank the T-bars to high you'll end up with ball joint problems.

Its a great do it all truck and wouldnt change a thing.

Attachments

• IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 348

locrwln

Expedition Leader
No, my steering is currently the factory stuff, so I carry a spare rod/end. The Kryptonite steering linkage is on my upgrade list.

The Dmax on our Baja trip had the Kryptonite steering. Ryan was not gentle with that truck, I was impressed with how his entire build held up. Ryan's Dmax build thread is here...http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969106&highlight=

I read his full build up on the diesel place. I will be incorporating some of his work/ideas.

Great truck, you will love it. With over 130k on my 07' lbz and 60k on my 06' lbz there hasnt been a single problem.

heres my 06' on 285's, H2's, and cognito leveling kit. If you crank the T-bars to high you'll end up with ball joint problems.

Its a great do it all truck and wouldnt change a thing.

So far we are really enjoying it, will enjoy it more once I get it to where I want it.

Good looking truck, I looked for a white one, but Silver Birch is as close as I could get.:sombrero:

I don't plan on cranking the t-bars, I adjusted them about a 1/2", but that is it. I am waiting until I can do a real lift.

Jack

Humvette

Adventurer
Congrates on the truck!

Regarding H2 wheels, hold out and get the right price. I have seen them in the past year as low as $30 each! I have also seen people trying to sell them for $100 each!!!

I have never had good experiance with used tires. They always seem like a deal. Just buy quality and it will last you.
M

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Whoa, wait....a LC100 broke on the trip before the junky Chevy?!?!?? Unpossible.

I am hoping that was sarcasm. :Wow1:

If not, that particular 100 has been used far harder than pretty much any other 100 in NA. I have been on thousands and thousands of offroad miles with that truck and this was the first time something "broke."

Congrates on the truck!

Regarding H2 wheels, hold out and get the right price. I have seen them in the past year as low as $30 each! I have also seen people trying to sell them for $100 each!!!

I have never had good experiance with used tires. They always seem like a deal. Just buy quality and it will last you.
M

Thanks,

I too have been burned with used tires, so not my first choice. I am looking for the right H2's, it seems prices are all over the place and lately they seem to be going up. I think the "supply" is drying up. Since the recession and becuase they aren't made anymore, means that no one is putting "dubs+" on their hummer and tripping over stock rims. I agree that $100 is too much per wheel. I can get new aftermarkets for not much more.

Jack

1stDeuce

Explorer
Jack, nice thread!! I stopped wheeling a full size when the trails in Canada go too tight for it, but now that I'm here in CO, I just picked up an older Hallmark for my '06 CCSB. I'm running H2's with 285's and they work well with one exception... The H2 wheels leave the inside edge of the tire where it was with my stock wheels, so all the extra width goes to the outside of the truck. OK on the back, which is a bit narrower, but the fronts throw mud and crud all over the truck and camper. When these tires wear out, I will most likely be going to a 255/85 on the stock forged alum wheels. They should offer better mpg, a lot less crap tossed up the side of the truck, and just a little bit more clearance than the 285, both to the ground, and to the body. BTW, anyone interested, I wrote Cooper Tire about getting the new ST Maxx in 255/85R16 or 255/80R17 and they actually responded that they appreciated my feedback, and use it to decide what molds to make... Everybody write in, this is a GREAT size tire for our trucks that aren't 100% offroad, but need something better than 245's...

Keep posting updates!!
Chris

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Jack, nice thread!! I stopped wheeling a full size when the trails in Canada go too tight for it, but now that I'm here in CO, I just picked up an older Hallmark for my '06 CCSB. I'm running H2's with 285's and they work well with one exception... The H2 wheels leave the inside edge of the tire where it was with my stock wheels, so all the extra width goes to the outside of the truck. OK on the back, which is a bit narrower, but the fronts throw mud and crud all over the truck and camper. When these tires wear out, I will most likely be going to a 255/85 on the stock forged alum wheels. They should offer better mpg, a lot less crap tossed up the side of the truck, and just a little bit more clearance than the 285, both to the ground, and to the body. BTW, anyone interested, I wrote Cooper Tire about getting the new ST Maxx in 255/85R16 or 255/80R17 and they actually responded that they appreciated my feedback, and use it to decide what molds to make... Everybody write in, this is a GREAT size tire for our trucks that aren't 100% offroad, but need something better than 245's...

Keep posting updates!!
Chris

Thanks for the compliments, I just read your buildup post, nice truck and nice job with it.

I was curious about the mud flinging thing with the H2's. I really liked that my LC80 fenders covered the 35's on the stock rims, so it kept the mud off of the rest of the truck. I don't think I will have a choice with the chevy, 35's will be the tire, so something has to give I guess.

Well here is a small update, I found and purchased a 2008 FWC Hawk shell yesterday. Pics will have to wait until the weekend, just didn't and won't have time to take any until then (this work thing really gets in the way sometimes).

It was owned by an older couple that bought it new and used it about 8-9 times and it looks new inside and out. It spent most of it's life in a barn or under a carport, so it didn't see much if any weather or especially sun. Got a good deal on it and my wife and I are already planning the mods to the camper. :wings:

Jack

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Here is the latest addition. 2008 Hawk Shell model that was like brand new inside and out. Saw very little actual use, yeah for me.

The jacks are from my other camper, so they won't be staying on.

Jack

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk