Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

slooowr6

Explorer
Congrats on the new truck!
2500 Diesel is perfect if you have FWC/ATC planed for future. What is your current mpg on your truck?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Yep, the GM pickups are low-riders in stock trim, just like my 4th Gen 4Runner.

4" and 35s should do it. How about Cepek F-C II 315s? :sombrero:

I am leaning towards the FC's, but I like the GY Duratracs also. We'll see, I plan on using H2 rims, and I have found some with decent tires already on them for not a whole lot more. So tires might end up being whatever I find at first.:ylsmoke:

You are out actually wheeling your new truck! Better than a lot of folks with built rigs that never go anywhere. :sombrero: Looks like it was a great day too!

Oh yeah, this is it's second trip offroad in a little over a month. Trust me, it will see a lot more dirt before it's over. DV at the end of March and then...

Congrats on the new truck!
2500 Diesel is perfect if you have FWC/ATC planed for future. What is your current mpg on your truck?

I agree, we drove a Tacoma home for the night and really liked it, but just felt like a camper (fwc/atc) would end up being too much JMHO. On that last trip, it was a little over 15mpg with a lot of slow speed/low range type driving. Just driving around it seems to be around 17ish, which is a little lower than my F350 with the old 7.3. Of course my Ford is a 6spd manual, so that may be why. But ohhh the power (insert Tim Allen grunt).

Jack

Last edited:

ericvs

I am planning on either the Exact Steering upgrade or the new Kryptonite set up. As far as suspension, I leaning heavily toward the Cognito 4-6" no torsion bar drop suspension (set at 4") with Deaver 4" rear springs. I was going to just do a leveling kit, but I started doing some reading and measuring and determined that I am just going to have to lift it the right way...

Hey, Nice looking truck. My next one will be an 06 or 07. Looks good. Have you given any thought to the Cognito Pitman and idler arm support? I am running the Cognito Level kit and am about to upgrade the steering on my 01 Dmax. I wanted to hear your thoughts on these three steering upgrades. I was leaning towards the Cognito setup (pitman and idler arm support and HD tie rods)
thanks

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Hey, Nice looking truck. My next one will be an 06 or 07. Looks good. Have you given any thought to the Cognito Pitman and idler arm support? I am running the Cognito Level kit and am about to upgrade the steering on my 01 Dmax. I wanted to hear your thoughts on these three steering upgrades. I was leaning towards the Cognito setup (pitman and idler arm support and HD tie rods)
thanks

Thanks.

I have, I spoke to Dmax Store the other day and they use the Cognito support system (CSS) on their Kryptonite Center Link/Tie Rod end kit. The are offering the centerlink/tie rods for $599 right now, then you add the CSS if you don't already have it. I will probably order the centerlink/tie rods next week.

Jack

N

NorCalBorn

Subscribed, I want to see where you'll take this build Jack, thanks for posting this topic in here. Especially after we were doing two different things, considering long-term with both.

Checking out the Reno/Sparks area for work and hearing you'd sold your Land Cruiser. Add in me taking the fact we're outgrowing, strike that, have outgrown our 4Runner seriously and I went looking at full sizes recently. My father's new HD2500 sparked the final straw and I can say I likely am going to be following in your footsteps here. I'm thinking of a 1500 4wd CrewCab Standard Bed w/ the 5.3/6speed or Diesel/Allison upgrade. Maybe a 4-5" lift so it'll clear 35's.

A small slide in with a pop-up top or maybe a bed system similar to AllPro's Red taco with a camper trailer (foldout) or teardrop. Who knows, at this point it's a pipe dream but seeing the people in this part of Expo gives me hope. I might even try out a RTT using the bed to hold goodies and just fab a crossbar setup to hold things down. Still not too cool with the camper shell alone style.

Post everything up and let me see what you come up with and what I might improve on or do differently once mine's in the driveway.

:D Shane

Last edited by a moderator:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Subscribed, I want to see where you'll take this build Jack, thanks for posting this topic in here. Especially after we were doing two different things, considering long-term with both.

Checking out the Reno/Sparks area for work and hearing you'd sold your Land Cruiser. Add in me taking the fact we're outgrowing, strike that, have outgrown our 4Runner seriously and I went looking at full sizes recently. My father's new HD2500 sparked the final straw and I can say I likely am going to be following in your footsteps here. I'm thinking of a 1500 4wd CrewCab Standard Bed w/ the 5.3/6speed or Diesel/Allison upgrade. Maybe a 4-5" lift so it'll clear 35's.

A small slide in with a pop-up top or maybe a bed system similar to AllPro's Red taco with a camper trailer (foldout) or teardrop. Who knows, at this point it's a pipe dream but seeing the people in this part of Expo gives me hope. I might even try out a RTT using the bed to hold goodies and just fab a crossbar setup to hold things down. Still not too cool with the camper shell alone style.

Post everything up and let me see what you come up with and what I might improve on or do differently once mine's in the driveway.

:D Shane

It will be a slow build, but I too am anxious to see what/where I go with it. I have the ultimate build in my head, but like a lot of people the reality of working with a very tight budget will tone that down some. Plus I have some stuff around the house that have to be done this year, so mod/build money will be a little tight for a while.

I was torn between the 5.3/6spd and the Max/Ali, obviously I went with the diesel, but I still really, really like the 5.3. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

I will try and keep everything up to date. I have built several vehicles and I have never done any kind of "build up," so this will be my first and it will be the slowest...:sombrero:

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Well the Dmax Kryptonite Center Link and Tie Rods have been ordered, should be here next week, they were on back order, so there was a little delay.

On to other things, I really wanted to put my Waeco behind the front seats in the Ex-cab portion. I tried just folding the seat up, but still not enough room, the fridge is too long for the level portion of the floor, the center hump got in the way.

My wife and I decided that the only way was to build a platform and remove the back seat, that we aren't using anyway.

So a couple of days (as time allowed) and here is the finished product.

Back seat removed.

Platform installed.

Fridge and small organizer box, plus small amount storage underneath.

Other side.

Going to give it a try out this weekend on a camping trip.

Jack

P.S. Anyone know how to change the title of a thread? I realized that someone else has the same title to their thread.

Last edited:

bob91yj

Resident **************
One of the guys on my recent Baja trip had a nicely built Dmax. I really liked the Kryptonite steering linkage on his truck, seemed to work great, and it's HD for sure. I've got the Cognito pitman/idler mod on my factory steering, carry a spare tie rod and end.

Always cool to see what others are doing to their trucks, keep the pics coming.

You can see my junk here...
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/56423-2006-GMC-DuraMax?highlight=

locrwln

Expedition Leader
One of the guys on my recent Baja trip had a nicely built Dmax. I really liked the Kryptonite steering linkage on his truck, seemed to work great, and it's HD for sure. I've got the Cognito pitman/idler mod on my factory steering, carry a spare tie rod and end.

Always cool to see what others are doing to their trucks, keep the pics coming.

You can see my junk here...
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/56423-2006-GMC-DuraMax?highlight=

I read about your baja trip, great times.

Are you saying to carry extra TRE with the Kryptonite steering? Not that it's a big deal, but this is the full system. Yeah I will be adding the Cognito support as well.

speaking of brand loyalty...
here's a link to a local news piece that took place the other day near where I live in north georgia..
http://timesfreepress.com/news/2011...rsus-chevrolet-dispute-gordon-c/?breakingnews
(read the comments for some laughs)

Wow.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal