Jack's Adventure Thread (previous Xterra build)

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Starter and power steering pump replaced. Take THAT, power steering squeal.

Next items to tackle are the gear box and cam bolts. Wish me luck...

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Mine feels like a lght grinding/rubbing as I am turning and a slight belt whine when its cosmilar issues?

Well, the issue I was having was getting worse since the fall. Over the winter at startups, it would squeal loudly like a dying giraffe until it got warm (my neighbors loved it...), and it would squeal when making tight corners. Progressively worse. And I thought it was the gear box, until someone mentioned the pump. I gave the pump a shot first (cheaper!) and it's been really good. Like I said earlier, the box is next anyway, since I know that's pretty well worn out at 12+ years old and a lot of trail driving. Hope that helps!

richard310

pew pew
Mine feels like a lght grinding/rubbing as I am turning and a slight belt whine when its cosmilar issues?

Interesting. Mine is similar. I get belt whine and squeal when turning left. Then I get a light grinding, creaking when turning right.

Brian: I've always dreaded those dying giraffe PS squeals on startup. Glad you got that sorted out!

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
Picked up a cool little item the other day after reorganizing the cargo in the Xterra. After my LOBO was redone, I realized that I have 6 d-rings and two tow straps, and they are not in a centralized area for quick access. I wanted a bag or something I could grab quickly, and I found this:

http://www.blueridgeoverlandgear.com/O-Crap-I-m-Stuck-Small-Recovery-Bg-p/21rb-s.htm

A little pricey, and I could have just gone to the surplus store to grab a general bag, but after I got it, I realized it was well worth the money. It's great quality. And I can't recommend this company enough. I ordered this Friday morning, got an email an hour later saying it had shipped, and was delivered Monday.

I am a huge advocate of organization, accessibility, and functionality. I have a tow strap and d-rings in this bag, right behind the passenger seat. Grab-and-go (save the day!).

IMG_20121186_zps1a92027c.jpg

Other than that, I have a few interior projects I'd like to complete by this weekend. Stay tuned :)

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
The weekend has been extremely successful.

Taken from my XN build:

1. Did the rear hatch raiser mod with a surprising gain (almost 6 inches). My forehead is eternally grateful. The modification is simple - switch the right strut & bracket with the left strut & bracket.

IMG_20121193_zps19614173.jpg

IMG_20121194_zpsd26fdf3f.jpg

2. Installed a new Pioneer head unit with one of those fancy new flush-mount USB drives (I was always afraid I'd accidentally ********** a full-size one and break it).

IMG_20121196_zps779bd968.jpg

3. Fully plumbed the snorkel. Yes, I was partially posing this whole time. Until now, I had left the hole with the sensor untouched. Now it's all one tunnel from snorkel head to engine. Got creative (gently) with a ratchet strap, too (couldn't take the air box out since I had the plumbing so tight and secure; didn't want to go through that again).

IMG_20121197_zps9a9c1072.jpg

4. Topped off the coolant. Still running pretty hot when the A/C is on, though.

5. And finally, I redid my headliner. It's been bugging me for so long and I'm so glad it's done. This really needs no introduction.

Before:
IMG_20121189_zps2ae45dca.jpg

After:
IMG_20121203_zps8d5a12f0.jpg

Yes, this is what my passengers will see when they look up.

IMG_20121192_zps37dc7e65.jpg

It needs a little work, but I like that I can slice it open along one of the tile lines, spray some glue in, and stick it back down without leaving any trace.

She's loaded back up, washed, cleaned, and ready for adventure - complete with TIE fighter schematics ...and dog.

IMG_20121206_zps83f5fab2.jpg

richard310

pew pew
That rear hatch mod is stupid ingenious! I'm going to have to do that as well.

What are those two little red buttons above the head unit?
I'm thinking of cutting those out for my roof light switches.

Jack Stilts

Subaru Ambassador
The hatch mod wasn't my idea, but it's highly recommended. Especially for those of us that aren't doing the body lift and 33s ;)

Those switches are the roof lights. That spot is perfect for switches like those.

richard310

pew pew
The hatch mod wasn't my idea, but it's highly recommended. Especially for those of us that aren't doing the body lift and 33s ;)

Those switches are the roof lights. That spot is perfect for switches like those.

Awesome. I love the roof lining too! Where did you find such a large spread for that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh