Jackson Rally Suba Wheeler

JacksonRally

Adventurer
20130428_125710_zpsdfb505bd.jpg

Winch all wired up now. Ready for Red Rock Canyon next weekend.

Laxaholic

Adventurer
I'm hoping to add some more lighting to my 06 Impreza wagon 5spd. Think that a light bar for the front is the right way to go? They all seem so expensive for what you get.

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
man, this is a bad *** little build! nice fab work! my old man had a 96 outback, till he let it go. would cost to much to do the head gaskets, it was well north of 250k miles

JacksonRally

Adventurer
Ok time for a suspension update. I call this phase 1. This go round I was just focused on better dampening and a more solid shock/strut package. There are pretty much less than zero aftermarket/direct bolt on parts for this so I gathered up some parts and made do with other model Subaru parts and Fox shox.

For the rear I am now running a 10'' stroke Fox 2.0 emulsion coilover with 16'' x 200lb Eibach springs. Of course a little modifying was needed :)

I had some left over pins I had made for another project.

That pretty much sums up the rear. Its a simple swing arm/coilover design. I just needed to adapt a proper damper to fit within the factory mounting points. Rear travel is 12'' :Wow1:

JacksonRally

Adventurer
Now onto the front. This is a McPherson strut design. Not by any means worth a darn, but this is how manufactures economically build millions of passenger cars/suvs. So I did what I could to squeeze a bit more travel and performance out of it. I originally had a large strut spacer on top of the stock struts with 230,xxx miles on it. The stock struts were long gone. I could not afford to make a 100% custom strut like I made for my brother so I went with a rear inverted strut off of a 2004 Subaru STI. This has a bit more travel and being inverted I could remove the charged insert from the housing and safely modify it. Im all about manipulating anything while retaining the original suspension design. If I wanted to take the easy road I would just throw some straight axles under the car :)

Old setup

New stuff

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Nice work!

Not being familiar with the Subi platform, will the rear factory upper mounting locations be up to the task, or are they reinforced by the cage or a shock to shock brace?

JacksonRally

Adventurer
Nice work!

Not being familiar with the Subi platform, will the rear factory upper mounting locations be up to the task, or are they reinforced by the cage or a shock to shock brace?

Thanks! You'll get a close up at Prescott Rally. Im sure we'll be out there in one form or another.

The rear upper mount should be fine. The spring rate is the same as it was factory. As long as I dont bottom out the shock it will hold up. Valving is a bit stiffer than stock but if it doesnt see any hard bottoming I think Im good.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Thanks! You'll get a close up at Prescott Rally. Im sure we'll be out there in one form or another.

The rear upper mount should be fine. The spring rate is the same as it was factory. As long as I dont bottom out the shock it will hold up. Valving is a bit stiffer than stock but if it doesnt see any hard bottoming I think Im good.

That will be fun to see for sure! I'm amazed at the flex from that short linkage!

We're taking Michael Taylor out for a trail ride this Saturday - I'll let him know you hope to be at the Rally. Perhaps we need to work on an Expo Portal "group sponsorship" for the race.

I'm an old rock crawler - been there, spent that, as it were. The stress's are enormous, but probably no worse that rally. The Jeep XJ has proven uni-body to be durable if braced and plated as needed in both rock racing and crawling applications. I'll be curious to see the Yota hubs installed!

Mark

Jrally

Adventurer
Looking great, and as always, amazing fab work. I'm assuming the rear shock, upper pin mount is still using some kind of rubber isolation, in that top bolt on cup.?
-Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online