Jeep Cherokee Motor Mounts

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
OK, we seem to have got rid of the DW by installing new ball joints on the XJ. Now I am going to attack the "clunk, clunk, clunk" sound when taking off. My Bro said it sounds like a motor mount and sure enough, it is.
Soooo my question is, should I just use an oe style mount for 20 bucks or should I spring for an afte market one for 60 bucks on up ???
The xj does have a 4.5 lift and 31's , if that plays into the equation or not.

:safari-rig:

Thanks,
Matt

IH8RDS

Explorer
When mine went I just replaced them with the stock ones from NAPA.

Hows you exhaust manifold sound/look. Those motor mounts will cause the exhaust manifolds to crack when they go out.

Last edited:

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Haven't looked at the exhaust manifold yet, but if it is cracked I have a replacement sitting in the garage (been there since I bought the thing 4 yrs ago)
I'll save myself some $$ and go with the oe one . looks easy enough to change from what I have read.

IH8RDS

Explorer
I would replace them both when you do it. Do the passenger side first to get the hang of it (more room), then the drivers side (considerably less room).

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
IH8RDS said:
I would replace them both when you do it. Do the passenger side first to get the hang of it (more room), then the drivers side (considerably less room).

sounds like good advice. guess it's true about Just Empty Every Pocket saying :rolleyes: :hehe: :jump:

Good choice on the stock ones I think, I just did mine and my pass side was in perfect shape so I left it alone.

It is an easy project, even lifted, so have fun! I had my daughter helped me. She enjoyed it a lot!

toledotimber

Observer
I have the Brown Dog polyurethane motor mounts. They're very strong--possibly too strong. If you use the skinny pedal a lot when 'wheeling and have strong poly mounts, you are likely putting more stress on the bolts that attach to the engine itself. I can't imagine trying to get those out if they break off.

Check your transmission mount while you're at it.

Geronimo

Observer
I like the Brown Dog mounts, with the block plates. I built my own back in 98' when there were no other options, they look just like the Brown Dog mounts. My opinion is the stock mounts are broken to begin with, made for ant-vibe not strength. The block mounts are just as bad,

My motor fell side ways in the bay, I was west of San Felipe at speed. Broke rad, fan, PS pump and had to deal with the bolts broke in the block. Not recomended

My mounts took years of abuse but I would buy the brown dogs for less money then I could build another set. Oh and BTW, 100k Baja miles 218k total and my trans mount was still intact?

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I'd say stock, or the M.O.R.E. rubber mounts...stay away from poly as the XJ unibody transmits A LOT of noise.

Even with the M.O.R.E. rubber mounts, my old XJ buzzed a ton at idle, but the rotation of the engine was nil.

IH8RDS

Explorer
Geronimo said:
My opinion is the stock mounts are broken to begin with, made for ant-vibe not strength.

Exactly. Vibe is the main concern with stock mounts. I think that they degrade at a quicker rate because of oil inpregnation though. At least that was the case with mine.

Yeah but they're soo easy to swap out. As long as you notice that they are going bad you'll be ok. I don't think catostrphic failures are as common as a simple "oh my motor mounts are knocking" failure.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Changed out the driver's side about 20 minutes ago. Took me about 60 minutes. Not bad for "me".
Checked the exhaust manifold and didn't see any cracks or hear any leaks, sooo hopefully I dodged a bullit there.

w_b

Observer
You already have your mounts, so this is academic. When I recently purchased my motor/t-case mounts I bought them from NAPA. I was told the driver's and passenger's side were identical but the mounts were in different style boxes. When I got home, one mount had slightly thicker metal, better paint and had the appearance of a good quality mount. It had a made in India label. The other one, the one that really did look cheap, even had paint flaking off, had a made in Korea label.

The t-case mount looked good and it was made in India.

I put poly mounts on my Samurai. Even though we just drove it when wheeling and around town a little bit, the increase in vibration was severe. I wouldn't be inclined to put poly mounts on a rig that sees any street at all.

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
w_b said:
You already have your mounts, so this is academic. When I recently purchased my motor/t-case mounts I bought them from NAPA. I was told the driver's and passenger's side were identical but the mounts were in different style boxes. When I got home, one mount had slightly thicker metal, better paint and had the appearance of a good quality mount. It had a made in India label. The other one, the one that really did look cheap, even had paint flaking off, had a made in Korea label.

The t-case mount looked good and it was made in India.

I put poly mounts on my Samurai. Even though we just drove it when wheeling and around town a little bit, the increase in vibration was severe. I wouldn't be inclined to put poly mounts on a rig that sees any street at all.

Damn, the 2 I bought are the same way. One is in a plastic bag all nice and the other(I did see made in Korea on it) paint jacked up no bag. To funny. And the one I looked at in the store was the one in plastic. Guess next time I should open both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3