Jeep JK spring options... I need some input.

onetraveller

Adventurer
The stock rear springs are progressive, the stock fronts springs are linear.

I know of the following companies that sell progressive or multi-rate springs for the JK.

AEV
Metal Cloak
Poly Performance (Synergy)
Rock Crawler (fronts only)

Metal Cloak has a great explanation on the differences between linear, multi-rate, and true progressive springs on their website.

The PolyPerformance stuff is generally considered to be very good. Actually all of these are well respected companies.

If you go 2.5 inches and aren't going with adjustable control arms, then take a look at the geometry correction brackets that AEV offers. They are a nice addition for not a lot of money.

Mike

Last edited:

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Not a full-time solution but whenever I tow my trailer or carry lots of cargo I throw in two 'spring helpers' in the rear springs. Just helps to not having my headlights pointing in the sky. I wouldn't run these full-time obviously because you'll lose tons of compression and is just horrible performance-wise, but a good short-term solution to sag if you're in a pinch. But if I had some other choice for my rig other than getting custom springs made and guessing at the spring rate I need, it's the only choice other than air bags.

pilosopo

Adventurer
I wanted to revive this thread.... I know it is my thread but wanted to see if any products have made it to market since the original post as I have not yet purchased springs....

In sticking with the original article by Scott Brady( http://www.expeditionportal.com/res...el-the-10-rules-of-vehicle-modifications.html) and my favorite quote out of it:

It mentioned not exceeding 60mm of "lift" and that one should buy springs with increased rate to counter additional weight not increased height.[/I]

One option I have found to address this issue is Synergy's 1" 4door unlimited springs found here:

Front Springs: http://www.synergysuspension.com/Sy...JK-TJ-LJ-Front-Lift-Coil-Springs-p-16404.html

Rear Springs: http://www.synergysuspension.com/Synergy-Suspension-Jeep-JK-Rear-Lift-Coil-Springs-p-16405.html

***Looking specifically at springs number PPM-8064-10 for Rear and PPM-8063-10 for Front****

What do you guys think? Since the original post I know AEV has also released their 2.5 inch coil spring lift.

Just looking for some more input as I am REALLY leaning toward the Synergy springs but have found NO data or input on how these springs handle once installed.
Thanks,
Nick

I actually purchased those springs.

If all goes well, I'll be installing them tomorrow morning

Inline6

Adventurer
Interested to hear about your spring results with the synergy springs.

From what I have seen from other mfgs is more lift than desird. They are trying to design to heavier rigs, I get that.people are usually not upset with more lift than not what was advertised. A couple metal cloak rigs I have seen and talked with the owners. The springs netted a good inch more than adv.

I'd also,like to keep it lower for all the driveline and steering issues that arise with taller lifts.

lax71vcu

Adventurer
I actually purchased those springs.

If all goes well, I'll be installing them tomorrow morning

Thank goodness!!! Finally somebody who is giving these a shot! I can't wait to hear of your experiences! Please PM or post. Feel free to post here or start your own thread. I KNOW people are interested and want to hear how you like them. If you start a new threat let us know here so we can look for it. Thanks!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I put OME heavies (375 lb) on our Rubicon, with all stock otherwise. It is a fantastic ride. I need to fab a drop track bar bracket to re-center the axles, but the ride and handling is top notch.

pilosopo

Adventurer
So I finished the install at around lunch today.

I own a 2011 Rubicon Unlimited (old photo)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360456576.851469.jpg

Truthfully, rock crawling isn't my thing, and my decision to go with a Rubicon was really about the fact that I'd have to do basically nothing to have a very capable vehicle for the kind of things I want I do. Really, I use it to get to campsites, explore, etc. difficult trails happen too, but unlike a lot of other Jeep people, they aren't my focal point.

My Jeep is a bit heavier than most:
Gobi Stealth Rack
TJM sliders
Mopar steel rear bumper
ARB rock bar
Expo One front skidplate
Engo 10,000 lb winch
Rugged Ridge Snorkel
Rancho Oil Pan Guard
Poison Spyder Evap Guard
Rugged Ridge holder with HiLift on back

Assorted gear in the back

And then when camping I have a feather lite rooftent and all the other stuff that we all bring.

I'm using Rancho 7000MT shocks and Sumo Springs bump stops.

Really, I simply wanted a more appropriate spring rate for my rig, not necessarily more height.

Front spring
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360457012.763355.jpg

Rear spring
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360457033.527522.jpg

Stock Heights, Olympic Rock Bumper since ARB hasn't arrived yet, 1/4 tank of gas
Rear driver
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360457080.451299.jpg
Rear passenger
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360457114.698305.jpg
Front driver
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360457144.479017.jpg
Front Passenger
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360457164.997129.jpg

As you can see the springs are noticeably longer than my 19/60 springs. Also, my Jeep as equipped (6-speed manual also) had much less of a rake than others seem to have.

Now if you're wondering where the after pictures are... You'll have to wait. I'm waiting for the springs to settle a bit, and I'm not installing my ARB bumper till the middle of the week. At the moment, I have an Olympic rock bumper on the front.

But I can tell you this. The lift netted about 2" front and rear for me, even with the extra weight of the items I listed above. With more weighty items on the back than the front, my Jeep is still basically level. So if you have a jeep with stock bumpers, you probably won't ride nose high.

The ride also seems better after a short, 20 mile, trip. The springs are progressively wound and really seemed to absorb most road imperfections with a soft cushy initial movement that got progressively firmer. Expansions didn't hit the bump stops, though my jeep doesn't have stock dampers or bump stops.

These are just my initial observations, more will follow later

Last edited:

pilosopo

Adventurer
After install

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360458435.119310.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360458451.971118.jpg

No measurement as, like I said in the previous post, I'll allow for things to settle a bit.

As for my reasoning for going with the Synergy Springs, they stated in the materials that their heights are with a bumper/winch/tire carrier installed, and that a factory rake-like stance will be retained. Though some may want a level stance, I'd prefer a slightly rear high one so that when loaded the Jeep isn't low in the rear.

It's a bit difficult IMO to capture the current stance of my Jeep, but it's noticeably higher, and basically level. The current Olympic bumper and Exp One skid combo is only slightly heavier than stock. Sitting on the bumper tells me that when I put on my ARB and winch the stance should be just right

Last edited:

lax71vcu

Adventurer
THANK YOU FOR POSTING!!!!! FINALLY SOME REAL WORLD INPUT ON THESE SPRINGS!!!!!They sound perfect! Any issues with axles needing recentering, did you have to recenter you steering wheel? How about your links? were new links needed up front?

pilosopo

Adventurer
THANK YOU FOR POSTING!!!!! FINALLY SOME REAL WORLD INPUT ON THESE SPRINGS!!!!!They sound perfect! Any issues with axles needing recentering, did you have to recenter you steering wheel? How about your links? were new links needed up front?

I did not re-center my axles, but they still look centered.

I did not re-center my wheel, but after the drive I think it'll need a little adjustment.

Though the links are no longer parallel to the ground, IMO they are close enough to work, and as I haven't gained any travel, they're still working within their designed range.

The rear spring is definitely better than stock, even with the uprated 60 rear spring, as my Jeep is currently outfitted. I had been using airlift 1000 air springs in the rear as well and as installed, the synergy springs are already better.

I also sat on my front bumper, simulating the weight of bumper and winch, and there was little change in the ride height. I climbed into the trunk to simulate a load; again little change in ride height. I weighed 250 all clothed up today.

I'm quite happy with the purchase at the moment, and the quality as delivered was excellent.

Last edited:

slvyj

Observer
This thread is a good read, I know cost was not brought up, but when I price it out the AEV 2.5 lift really is not a bad deal. Do you gain anything going with Synergy verse AEV? Does the Synergy handle more weight then AEV?

pilosopo

Adventurer
This thread is a good read, I know cost was not brought up, but when I price it out the AEV 2.5 lift really is not a bad deal. Do you gain anything going with Synergy verse AEV? Does the Synergy handle more weight then AEV?

There have been a few posts on other forums that make it seem as though the synergy springs may handle weight better than the AEV offerings, but it's really conjecture IMO as to whether or not this is true.

There's no doubt that the AEV offering is a great one, and priced reasonably.

For me it boiled down to this. I have no intention of going to 35s.

Gold Mountain in Big Bear was about as difficult a trail as I'm ever likely to see in my DD rig, and I did it on stock suspension and stock tires. Would it have been easier with bigger wheels and more lift? Sure. Did I scrape where the other JK Rubicon Unlimited lifted 3+ on 34s didn't? You bet. At the end of the day did he make it anywhere I couldn't go? Nope.

The AEV setup is optimized around larger tires, including said 35s. That means it has bumpstops designed to allow for 35s with stock flares. In essence, you gain lift but no additional up travel over stock.

The synergy setup provided me spring rates suited to the weight of Jeep. I can fit a slightly taller tire such as a 255/80 (likely my next change) or a 285/70. I also gained quite a bit more up travel as I'm still using the stock bump stops. There's been a marked improvement in my Jeep's ride as I no longer hit the bump stops over expansion joints and the like.

And I can still fit into most parking garages. That may seem like an odd thing to be worried about, but I love road trips in my Jeep. Being able to park mostly anywhere is definitely an advantage.

So for me, and how I use my Jeep, it's ultimately a better fit. I love the looks of the big lift and tires, but I didn't need them or their issues to do what I wanted to do.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Not a full-time solution but whenever I tow my trailer or carry lots of cargo I throw in two 'spring helpers' in the rear springs. Just helps to not having my headlights pointing in the sky.

Hi from Sweden

I find it strange that Jeep that Is US made make button for adjusting the level of the light for only export models and not for US vehicles. It is very good to have so You dont blind other cars and light the sky. I also had this button on my on my 2001 year Suzuki. Maybe Jeep do not do it if it aint a law in that country.

From my 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 4 level vertical light adjuster.

147168011.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater