Jeep JK spring options... I need some input.

stuggin

pilosopo, did you have to get longer shocks or anything with the 1" springs or was it just a straight swap from OEM?

pilosopo

Adventurer
pilosopo, did you have to get longer shocks or anything with the 1" springs or was it just a straight swap from OEM?

Straight swap would be fine.

My Rancho 7000 do have about .5-1" more down travel though. They're right at the limit of the factory brake lines.

They seem to match well with the springs as well, but I'd really like to try this setup with some OME nitrochargers. I think it'd be an awesome, plush ride

lax71vcu

Adventurer
Do you think the OME Nitrochargers are the same compression/ extension length as the Rancho's you are running now? I was thinking Nitrochargers too but don't want to put any stress or pull on the stock break lines.

slvyj

Observer
There have been a few posts on other forums that make it seem as though the synergy springs may handle weight better than the AEV offerings, but it's really conjecture IMO as to whether or not this is true.

There's no doubt that the AEV offering is a great one, and priced reasonably.

For me it boiled down to this. I have no intention of going to 35s.

Gold Mountain in Big Bear was about as difficult a trail as I'm ever likely to see in my DD rig, and I did it on stock suspension and stock tires. Would it have been easier with bigger wheels and more lift? Sure. Did I scrape where the other JK Rubicon Unlimited lifted 3+ on 34s didn't? You bet. At the end of the day did he make it anywhere I couldn't go? Nope.

The AEV setup is optimized around larger tires, including said 35s. That means it has bumpstops designed to allow for 35s with stock flares. In essence, you gain lift but no additional up travel over stock.

The synergy setup provided me spring rates suited to the weight of Jeep. I can fit a slightly taller tire such as a 255/80 (likely my next change) or a 285/70. I also gained quite a bit more up travel as I'm still using the stock bump stops. There's been a marked improvement in my Jeep's ride as I no longer hit the bump stops over expansion joints and the like.

And I can still fit into most parking garages. That may seem like an odd thing to be worried about, but I love road trips in my Jeep. Being able to park mostly anywhere is definitely an advantage.

So for me, and how I use my Jeep, it's ultimately a better fit. I love the looks of the big lift and tires, but I didn't need them or their issues to do what I wanted to do.

Thanks for the reply, you've given me a lot to think about. I agree on the parking garages, especially outside the States. Most are 2m and when you have 35's plus a roof rack, you are not going to make it.

pilosopo

Adventurer
Do you think the OME Nitrochargers are the same compression/ extension length as the Rancho's you are running now? I was thinking Nitrochargers too but don't want to put any stress or pull on the stock break lines.

According to ARB they are basically the same compressed/extended length as my rancho 7000. It's right on the limit of what the brakelines can take, probably a bit too much truthfully. On the front anyway.

pilosopo

Adventurer
Thanks for the reply, you've given me a lot to think about. I agree on the parking garages, especially outside the States. Most are 2m and when you have 35's plus a roof rack, you are not going to make it.

No problem.

I'm going to post new pictures tomorrow with the new measurements. I figure the springs have startled into position by now.

pilosopo

Adventurer
Driver's side rear
e4y9abep.jpg

With 50lb of bowling equipment in the back.

Driver's side front
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360884197.423039.jpg
With new ARB bumper, have yet to install my winch

Only showing the driver's side as it seems the most stable. The passenger side varies depending on fuel load.

Basically, I love the purchase. Great ride and handling characteristics, little to no change in ride height with weight.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360884113.437199.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360884113.437199.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

lax71vcu

Adventurer
Pilosopso,
Any further input since you have been running them a bit longer?
Have you disconnected the sway bar yet? With stock links did it lock back up easily when attempting to reconnect?
Poly Performance suggested the Fox IPF shocks. They seemed a bit shorter than the OME nitrochargers... That may be another shock possibility.

pilosopo

Adventurer
Pilosopso,
Any further input since you have been running them a bit longer?
Have you disconnected the sway bar yet? With stock links did it lock back up easily when attempting to reconnect?
Poly Performance suggested the Fox IPF shocks. They seemed a bit shorter than the OME nitrochargers... That may be another shock possibility.

Yeah, Poly/Synergy state that the springs are based around running heavy bumpers, winch, tire carrier, etc. The Jeep definitely rides better now that I've installed the winch. The stance is better too, ever so slightly raked now as opposed to level.

I've yet to disconnect, but I'm not worried as the sway bar is at most, 5 degrees from parallel. In my case, with stock links and height, I never had an issue with it reconnecting. It didn't always happen when I wanted it, but once the body of the Jeep was relatively level over the axle it would lock up immediately.

I'm also rethinking the shock choice actually. On stock springs, I found the increased damping of the Rancho shocks to be a bit rough. As the Synergy springs have settled, I'm actually very satisfied with the ride. It's well damped and smooth. I actually find it to be a smoother ride than my mother's C250 that I rode in the other day. I'm for the moment satisfied, though the reputation of the OME shocks working well with heavier loads, like when I have my roof tent, intrigues me.

lax71vcu

Adventurer
Definately interesting about your change in shock choice. My Jeep is not nearly as laden as yours. Stock bumpers, no roof rack, no winch, really the only "weight" is that I consistently carry about 45 to 50 lbs in the vehicle in tire repair, first aid, recovery strap, static tow strap, extra scissor jack, small misc tool set, etc...

However when I go camping it becomes anything goes and I often find myself with 2 or 3 passengers, coolers, sleeping bags etc....I keep trying to cut down on the number of people I bring but really..... Who can say NO to bringing a buddy into the great outdoors:)

I definitely don't want to create too harsh of a ride so maybe the Rancho's maybe a good bet. Especially after how well you say the springs alone are handling the weight. However the OME I can get in the stock dampening and get the Rears in slightly stiffer dampening to assist in towing, gear transportation, and if I'm lucky.....

I have been considering a J30 or J180 down the road and may decide to go firmer in preparation for that.

But that decision should only effect the dampening of the shock not ride height.

pilosopo

Adventurer
Definately interesting about your change in shock choice. My Jeep is not nearly as laden as yours. Stock bumpers, no roof rack, no winch, really the only "weight" is that I consistently carry about 45 to 50 lbs in the vehicle in tire repair, first aid, recovery strap, static tow strap, extra scissor jack, small misc tool set, etc...

However when I go camping it becomes anything goes and I often find myself with 2 or 3 passengers, coolers, sleeping bags etc....I keep trying to cut down on the number of people I bring but really..... Who can say NO to bringing a buddy into the great outdoors:)

I definitely don't want to create too harsh of a ride so maybe the Rancho's maybe a good bet. Especially after how well you say the springs alone are handling the weight. However the OME I can get in the stock dampening and get the Rears in slightly stiffer dampening to assist in towing, gear transportation, and if I'm lucky.....

I have been considering a J30 or J180 down the road and may decide to go firmer in preparation for that.

But that decision should only effect the dampening of the shock not ride height.

If your Jeep is really light I can't really recommend the Ranchos. Obviously not because they're bad, but by the time I added them I already had the rack, (albeit lighter) steel bumpers, gear, etc.

I found the stock rubicon shocks more than adequate when I first got my Jeep. As I added to it, or when heavy like on a trip, I found them less able. In that respect, I found the Ranchos immediately better.

As I've added more weight, switching to full width steel bumpers front and rear, a winch, etc, the damping rate of the Ranchos have become more and more suitable.

The one thing I'm sure of is the springs handle weight well. The winch lowered the front only slightly, but I definitely got at least the 1" lift I was supposed to.

Stock, my 50+ pound bowling bag noticeably affected my Jeeps handling, as I'm sure you've experienced. I had the bag back there for three days last week and hardly noticed it. There was little change in ride height as well.

ome

I have an 08 rubicon 4 door when I put on the bumper and winch the stock springs sagged to within 1/4 inch f the bump stops. turns out the warn bumper is very heavy 155lbs and the winch isn't so light either. I hand nothing in the rear still don't I went wit the ome heavy springs but they were out of ome shocks so i ended up with Bilsteins. which are ok. I had the ome springs on my fj100 and they were great . I did need a track bar so i went with the heavy duty terra flex bar and the shop do the install. I have had no problems after 50 k miles. my ride is up about 2/12/inches and fairly level. I regularly haul a couple hundred lb dogs and work gear and the ride is great. Take into consideration the things you may wish to *** ie bumpers winches big tires etc. and you'll be glad you went with the ome.

pilosopo

Adventurer
Final update.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361914037.384158.jpg

Loaded now with winch and roof tent.
1/4 tank of gas. Same gear as usual

Rear
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361914109.622307.jpg
Basically negligible change with my 80 pound RTT.

Front
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361914136.635507.jpg
Lost about 1" adding the winch.

Still a slight rake loaded like this. Handles the RTT awesomely, and I was still able to go into a parking garage with 6'8" of clearance.

Definitely very pleased with my choice.
I did add brake line relocation brackets though.

lax71vcu

Adventurer
Pilosopo,

Did you do rear and front brake lines or just rear? Did you make your own brackets or install manufactured brackets? If you installed manuf. brackets then which ones? Thanks again for answering all the questions being thrown out. I am thinking of going with springs, stock shocks (may upgrade to OME or Rancho 9000 when stock rubi's give out), and brake line relocation brackets as I will probably net more height than you due to less added weight. I will also be ready to get front track bar links if needed (hopefully that won't be needed!) Thanks for all you input as this allows me to make informed decisions. I like you am looking at the 255/80/17 KM2's for a next tire. so I think that will set me up perfectly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater

Members online