Jeep JK spring options... I need some input.

lax71vcu

Adventurer
Got Springs!

Finally got the springs in just waiting to get some time to install.... Had a question for you Pilosopo. I know there is rear and front coils but does are there also left and right coils? Just a thought as I get ready for my install. Thanks,

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
I am investigating springs and shocks that come with the 10th anniversary edition of the rubicon. The Jeep site specs states the system is a performance system intended to handle the front steel bumper and the winch. I cannot locate now, but somewhere I believe I read this suspension sys is progressive. As I run a 2012 2dr, my thoughts are possibly installing this new 2013 edition sys-only order the parts for a four door JK. This would give me about 4300lb added capability to my 3800lb rig. That should give me 500 additional pounds of capacity plus a half inch lift.

My other alternative, would be to have custom coil springs made to my specification as I have no desire for nothing more than a half to no more than one inch overall. I intend on staying with my stock 32's.

<<<

lax71vcu

Adventurer
Garbinator-
I was right there with you man... I have a 4dr Rubi and was so happy to see the Synergy 1" Springs. I know for a two door they are 2' springs so that is a bummer. I have heard and would imagine that the 4dr Rubi springs on a 2 door would result in minor lift. It sounds as though you are investigating that option. I know if I had a two door I would be throwing some 4dr springs on and calling it a day. I will keep everybody posted much as Pilosopo did with measurements and pictures before and again a bit after settling has occurred. My Jeep is MOSTLY stock weight or close to it so hopefully this will give guys like us an idea of the results these springs will have on a variety of rig sizes.

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
I see fuel speculators and Cal Air Resources etc and so on hinting/contemplating increasing tax to our current fuel. If I am to stay in the game, I need to do what I need to do to conserve fuel.

Less weight, height, even speed so I can afford to travel. It just is.

<<<

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Oh! I forgot another interesting little item, the Gobi Roof Stealth rack, I would like to be able to continue garaging my JK.

Rubicon John

Observer
I've been watching this tread for a while and feel frustrated with manufactures springs not being near the advertised height. I ran the OME HD coils frt & rear on my 2010 JKU with stock Rubicon tires & rims for aprox 7 months. Then I went to 35/12.50-17 Nitto Trail Grapplers for aprox 6 months then moved to 37/12.50-17 BFG KM2 with small flares to allow clearance. I owned my Jeep for 2.5 years and logged just over 58K miles and I can say the OME coils and the newer Sport shocks performed AwEsOmE...!!!!!! On the hwy, on the back roads, forest roads, loaded to the hilt or empty... Just AwEsOmE...!
I have sold my jeep and moved up in years to a 2013 JKU which I want to focus on a more expedition style build and have been struggggggggggling with tire size... The OME HD springs look great on 35's and in my opinion still look good on the smaller 285 tires aka 33's...... BUT... I also wanted to keep it MAYBE a lil' bit lower and have been looking for a solution and come Thurs I should be able to post up some pics of a JKU with a Tera-Flex 1.5" lift. Per Tera-Flex this is a 2" front and a 1" rear lift aka 1.5' lift.... I have seen this lift installed on a JK but never a JKU. The 2dr JK sat just what Tera-Flex claimed and rode great with Bilstein shocks. I would more than likely use this kit but I did notice that the 2dr JK sat level, then he added the hard top, some gear, over sized spare tire and it started to sit MAYBE a little low AND THAT IS NOT WHAT I WANT!!!!!
I know that the Tera-Flex is high quality parts as I used thier HD Trac-Bars frt & rear, etc and will post up before & after pics and I feel it would be a great option but I know the OME also... I'll wait till Thurs to make my choise....

Sorry, it is late and I can't sleep..... Just my 2cents...

I've been running this Teraflex setup since they came out with it. The springs seem to handle the weight well, but the factory Rubi shocks get a little stressed when you load 4 people, full tank of fuel, and 250 lbs of gear in the back.

dstock

Explorer
AEV 2.5

I ended up going with the AEV 2.5" lift and 33"s. I needed to still be able to fit in 7ft garage both at home and work. The biggest drawback with the stock springs is they sag like crazy when you add the weight of 4 people and a bunch of camping gear. The AEV lift uses progressive springs, so regardless of the weight added, it still drives the same and rides amazing. The lift when combined with the LCA correction brackets, gets rid of the front end braking drive, and make the overall handling fantastic. I have a very slight amount of rake towards the front but I also have a heavy front bumper, winch and dual Diehard Platinum batteries under the hood. Even with a load of people, camping gear and 4 mountain bikes hanging off the rear, it did not sag and still drove great. In stock form, that combo was downright scary on the highway.

The lift is currently on my 2010 and will be going on my 2013 when it arrives. After doing a little measuring last night I should be able to add a Gobi rack and still fit in my garage. Just my two cents but if your JK is a daily driver and you are looking for a quality but smallish lift, you can't go wrong with the AEV 2.5.

i-Rj5GZdj-M.jpg

Flexes nice too

i-X85HLP9-M.jpg

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
I would like to remain stock shoed at 32". Have you checked your MPG as of yet? I am right there with you as to AEV. I am worried my 2dr w/ Gobi rack would not allow me to garage the rig. The 33's look perfect overall. I better remeasure my garage opening...

<<

lax71vcu

Adventurer
I have finally installed my synergy 1" springs. I also put on synergy brake line relocation brackets. I must say the relocation brackets are a must for this. The lines will go back on but not with some serious tension on your wheel speed sensors, lower brake lines, and other lines. I kept the stock rubi shocks and this seems to ride very very well. I will post a follow up after a few weeks and the springs have time to settle. Initial opinion though is great. I think these are a must. I didn't have to recenter my wheel and total time for install including the installation of new brake pads was only approximately 3.5 to 4 hours. I will include two before pics of ride height at front license plate and rear trailer hitch as these will give a good general idea on overall height increase. I will say that I am very happy with this lift and it really handles weight better and also helps the jeep to stay flatter when cornering and prevents the "wallowing" in corners I used to experience. If you have any questions please let me know. You can read in previous posts on this thread to see how my jeep is set up to get an idea of the amount of weight I am running with these springs.

2013-06-08 03.03.03.jpg2013-06-08 08.32.39.jpg

TxJprs

Observer
Bringing this back.

Awesome write up. I'm starting over on a just ordered 2014 JKUR and thinking about the Synergy 1" for this time. My current 2012 JKUR is pretty light. I have the OME 2616/2617 springs and Nitrocharger shocks on it. I run 33x12.50 tires. My similarly measured front and rear measurements are approximately 39" front and 38.25" rear. I love the ride. It is comfortable. The spring/shocks really soak up the bumps during my 95%+ on the road driving. I was worried that the 1" Synergy wouldn't be enough but it sounds like if I run my 2014 similarly light it will give me nearly what my OME does now. I'm really wanting to hit around 1-1.5" of lift without using pucks. I want an improved spring rate for when I am loaded down and combination with quality shocks an improved comfortable ride. Did you find that ride harsh until you got it weighted down on the Synergy?

I looked at the Teraflex 1.5" lift but, although TF is quality stuff, they don't have the best reputation for comfortable ride quality.

pilosopo

Adventurer
I never found the ride harsh, but it definitely rides smoother with some weight.

Funny you're thinking of going with the synergy stuff, I'm thinking of making the switch to OME as I may keep my RTT on all the time. It'd be nice to have the selection of rear springs that OME offers

lax71vcu

Adventurer
As of now I am running the synergy springs and stock rubi shocks. Ride is MUCh better. As I said before no more "wallowing" in the corners. I have noticed less "floating" at high speeds when going over asphalt transitions from different road materials or the open metal grid on some bridges. The best part of all this is that I have less front end dive when braking hard and that was something that always added to the pucker factor of a hard stop. After the Rubi shocks go i will be putting on either OME's or Rancho 9000's for the extra travel... I have considered finding a set of Rubi take offs for real cheap but want to take advantage of the increase in down travel. I will take some pics this week on the final total lift height. As of now I think it will be between 1-2 inches of total lift on my pretty light JKUR. I will say it does not sag nearly as much as it used too with people sitting in the rear seat or with me standing on the rear bumper or with a trailer attached. I set my rear bumper up to hold water and when totally filled (approx 70 lbs) the jeep sits perfectly level. Any other questions let me know....

Garbinator

SeekTheMoneyTree
Here is my JK stock no winch

IMG_0064.jpg

Here it is after installing a TeraFlex 1.5 coil system using stock Rubicon Shocks. With winch.

IMG_0394.jpgIMG_0395.jpgIMG_0397.jpg

<<<

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach