Jeep tj storage solutions

bandit455

I wanna see how you guy's camp out of the smallest vehicle out there (besides the samurai) haha

When i've been going I have been using rubber maid totes to hold my stuff, and sleeping out of a hammock strung between two jeeps, or my jeep and a tree. Now that it's getting colder I would like to re-work my setup so i', looking for some inspiration.

Last edited:

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
Smallest vehicle out there? guess you never heard of Suzuki Samuri

If you want to use a TJ as a camping vehicle here it is:
- Back seat out for sure, make a deck and split the space.
- If you want to bring people with you, get an overhead rack with basket

Hawkz

Adventurer
I use a rear storage box from Tuffy. It was cheaper than most of the other boxes out there and slightly bigger. It is 4 panels. (Top, front and 2 sides.)The tailgate works as the back of the box. The rear bench comes out obviously but I really like it so far.

280_1_.gif

It doesn't help with sleeping inside the Jeep, but it's great for secure storage. I have been tent camping until I can build a trailer to mount a RTT on...

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
This is when I am glad I got the LJ. I know on paper the size isnt much bigger but when the backseat is in and in the upright position the LJ just looks to have much more room than the TJ does. Still will probably end up with a rack day though.

Hawkz

Adventurer
Yeah. I really wanted a LJ Rubicon, but I found a 2003 inca gold TJ Rubicon and really like the color. I'm very happy with it, but I'm not sure I would want to take any really long trips with it.

The extra foot or so really does make a difference in such a short vehicle...

96discoXD

Adventurer
In my YJ I took the back seat out and will be building a modular storage/gear platform in the rear area that will have drawers on the lower level and bins with lids on the top. For camping I am contemplating buying one of those "SUV" tents that have the sleeve that can be attached to the back of the vehicle. To my way of thinking that would have two benefits: access to the gear in the jeep without leaving the tent, and the ability to run a small heater in the tent as needed with adequate ventilation to prevent carbon monoxide issues. My ultimate would be to buy a trailer with a roof top tent, but that's down the road since I'm planning a V8 conversion on my YJ possibly this upcoming spring.

steve0

Glad to see this thread!
Are you driving alone? Are you 6 feet tall or less? I've rigged a bed to replace the passenger seats in a TJ. It stretches from the glove box to the tailgate, on the right side. It's suspended by nylon webbing from the windshield footman loop and the roll bars, which allows leveling when camped on a slope. One adjustable leg and the wheel well support the rear. The platform itself is 1/4" plywood with a 2x frame. A ThermaRest pad softens things up.

Camping with it: It's snug, but pretty comfortable. The foot end (front) is narrow, so I can shift when driving, but the torso end widens to 31 inches. For toe room, I take off the dash grab bar. (Don't forget to remove the airbag fuses during this process!)

This thing came into its own twice on its first trip: once when I had a cold and it began to sleet in the night, and once in a howling dust storm in the Mojave when a tent wasn't an option at all.

Food storage and so on is two under-bed plastic storage drawers from Container Store. Very lightweight. Two will stack under the platform. The left side of the jeep is empty, ready for piling stuff.

Sorry, no pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
__kmg__