Jeep Wrangler: Converting a Rock Crawler to a Fun Adventure Vehicle

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I've had a series of vehicles in my overland history. Sadly, many of them never saw much use outside of a day trip to an OHV park. This was because at the time, living in the midwest, I didn't have the great trail access that I now have in Prescott, AZ. It was time for something new.

mattsskitrip2011020-1.jpg

My 1993 Toyota Land Cruiser 80 Series. It had too many problems and too much rust to keep.

I went through a brief period where all I used for transportation was motorcycles, a variety of sport bikes (Ducati, Yamaha, Kawasaki) and then finally a variety of Harley Davidson. I still enjoy motorcycles, however, my lady, does not. All of the reasons I was drawn to them, the noise, the feeling of being connected to the road, the open air; were all reasons she was drawn away. We decided the Jeep Wrangler was the best combination of the two, we could take the top down, and the doors off, and have a four wheeled motorcycle to drive.

I decided to find a TJ model with a inline 6 engine. I'll be honest, when I bought my first off road vehicle, my Land Rover Discovery, it was because I could not afford a Jeep Wrangler. They were still stretching what I wanted to spend to be honest.

I ended up finding a deal on a modified 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, with just over 110,000 on the clock, and all of the "expensive" modifications done already. It was a bit beat up, but everything was there, and most importantly, the price was right.

She's happy in the Jeep.

How she currently sits, cleaned up.

Here she was when I brought her home.

The previous owner, who was not very interested in selling, neglected to clean the mud out of the vehicle, or from underneath the vehicle. It was as dirty as you could possibly imagine.

But I was able to pick it up for about the going price of a bone stock 1997 Wrangler with a 4 cylinder, cleaning did not bother me.

Buddy, my dog, has claimed the vehicle as his own.

The more I looked through the Jeep, the more I realized that it had already installed.

• 35x12.50x15 Goodyear MTR's (90% Tread) with American Racing Steel Wheels
  • Rubicon Express 6 Inch Long Arm Lift
  • 4.56 Gears
  • Line-X'd Tub
  • (Brand Unknown) Rock Crawler Tube Fenders
  • Slip Yoke Eliminator Kit (SYE) + Correct Driveshafts
  • Besttop Sailcloth Top with tinted windows (Nearly New)
  • Swingout Rear Tire Carrier
  • Homemade Front Bumper
  • Smittybilt 10,000 LB winch

First on the list was replacing anything that was worn, or could leave me stranded.

Second on the list was converting the vehicle to something a little more useful as a long distance traveler. My new environment in Prescott provided me with a plethora of options for trails, I wanted something I could take out on the weekend, camp for a night or two, and drive to work at the Expedition Portal HQ on Monday.

The previous owner had the vehicle set up for mud, and rocks. It was something I was interested in when I lived in the Midwest, but now, I'd rather go travel and explore. Here's the plan, in no particular order:

Replace the Tube Fenders with the AEV High Fender Conversion Kit. (The Tube fenders aren't my style)

Lower the Jeep a few inches by installing 2-3 inch springs. When combined with the Long Arm Kit, this should produce a great ride.

Armor up areas that are vulnerable.

Equip the vehicle with better lighting.

Work out a better storage system.

Resource Lists:

Oil Filter Comparison

Last edited:

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Let's start with my favorite upgrade, a rear disk brake conversion for the Dana 35C axle on a Wrangler.

Personally, I don't like drum brakes. Water, mud, dust, and rocks, all can; and will get stuck inside of the drum. Also, in terms of stopping power, they're far less superior to their modern equivalent, the Disk Brake.

Being that this vehicle will be used for long, self supported trips throughout remote areas, it was clear to me that the aftermarket disk conversion solutions weren't going to cut it. I don't want to have to source custom made parts, I want to work with the impressive parts network that Jeep already has.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ (1993-1998) has rear disk brakes, and the parts are very common. Everything bolts up as if it were factory.

Here's how I did it.

I sourced parts from a member of a Jeep Forum that was parting out his ZJ. I was able to source everything I needed from the nice gentleman, including the correct proportioning valve for the 4 disk calipers.

Note: If you don't source the correct proportioning valve, your brake bias will be incorrect, and could result in some nasty consequences.

You'll need the Caliper, Flex Line, Dust Shield, Rotor (Not Pictured) and Caliper Bracket.

Due to the Dana 35 having a C-Clip, you have to remove your differential cover to pull the C-Clips.

Start by removing your old drums. Use them as a door stop. Nothing more.

From there, you'll see this.

Then carefully remove all of the bits and pieces from the wheel cylinders to the springs. You won't reuse them.

Remove your rear differential cover, drain the fluid, pull the carrier pin, and proceed to push your axles inward, your C-Clips should fall out.

If you haven't already, this is a great time to upgrade your weak factory axle shafts. The previous owner was running 35's on a stock Dana 35. Very Brave.

This will reduce your likelihood of being stranded. If you break an axle on a D35, You're toast. The only thing holding the wheel on is the C-Clip located at the end of the axle shaft.

This is where the disk brake conversion also comes into play. if you manage to break an aftermarket, or stock axle shaft, the disk, when backed into a corner, can hold the axle, and tire in place. You wouldn't want to drive on this on the street, but it could get you to a suitable place on the trail to be picked up.

Bolting the factory Grand Cherokee parts to your Wrangler is simple, and straightforward. Four studs connected to the axle tube bolt on your caliper bracket, and from there, you slide in the axle shaft, connect the c-clip, reinstall the carrier pin, and from there - it's a straight forward brake job.

406to417

Explorer
The AEV Highline kit is one the greatest things that can be done to a TJ.

Unfortunately I think it's quite a task to transfer a rockcrawler into an overlander.:(

MattScott

Approved Vendor
The AEV Highline kit is one the greatest things that can be done to a TJ.

Unfortunately I think it's quite a task to transfer a rockcrawler into an overlander.:(

I'm really hoping I can swing the AEV highline kit.

It's not really meant to be an "overlander" more of something me and my girlfriend can camp out of for the weekend, a little bit of a motorcycle mentality. Pack light!

MattScott

Approved Vendor
The steering on a Jeep TJ is nothing to write home about. The steering rods are hollow, and the rod ends aren't anything spectacular.

There's only a few options to solve this problem. You can do a "rock crawler" steering conversion, with solid steering rods and heim joints; but that would be getting away from the point of this build. Also, if you managed to break, or wear out a heim joint, parts would be hard to find in the middle of nowhere.

A few companies offer upgraded kits, which are close to stock and work well, but it wasn't for me.

I ended up drawing parts once again from the Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ. This allows me to find replacement parts virtually anywhere. Crown Automotive sells this as an upgrade kit for around $200 with a steering dampener.

The V8 Grand Cherokee had beefier tie rod ends, and solid steering rods that are larger in diameter as well.

My only complaint with the conversion is the subpar TRE Boots. Easily fixed however.

I installed this before a 2000 mile trip from Chicago to Prescott, and it has been flawless.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Another problem with my Jeep was my rear gas tank skid plate.

It was made of rust.

Clearly, it provided no protection, and had to be replaced with a better solution.

Here's a picture of it installed. It's very stout.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Fuel range is of serious concern with a Jeep TJ. Options for a larger fuel tank are limited, and expensive for the payoff. I began looking into a solution that would mount a Jerry Can to my existing swing away tire carrier, without the need for replacing the entire unit.

I found a unit from Jeeperman that fit my needs quite well.

My only problem with the unit is that it does not lock. I may try to use the base of the unit in conjunction with a locking can holder from Adventure Trailers in the future. For now this is functional, and did well on the 2,000 mile drive to Prescott.

The unit grabs the can in two ways:

With a billet knob and hook system -

And with a base that provides support to the can itself. There is also a secure strap on the unit.

The Can holder will install to a large majority of external swing away tire carriers, possibly for ones not intended for a Jeep as well. It is held on securely by four grade 8 bolts.

$200 isn't bad for the upgraded steering, but the less costly solution is to sleeve the tie rod instead. I'm also one of those reformed rock crawlers, and after destroying the stock and then Skyjacker beefier tie rod, I converted to a Napa stock tie rod and then sleeved with I believe 3/16 tube (been 6 years, don't remember exactly). Notch the new tube, in two spots about a third of the length of the tube each way, slide the tie rod in, and then "plug weld" the notches. You do have to leave the threads unprotected for adjustment but with the ends in there, the chance of bending that two inches is very minimal. I haven't had a problem with the ends (maybe replaced once in 10 years) but I did use quality Moog replacements.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
$200 isn't bad for the upgraded steering, but the less costly solution is to sleeve the tie rod instead. I'm also one of those reformed rock crawlers, and after destroying the stock and then Skyjacker beefier tie rod, I converted to a Napa stock tie rod and then sleeved with I believe 3/16 tube (been 6 years, don't remember exactly). Notch the new tube, in two spots about a third of the length of the tube each way, slide the tie rod in, and then "plug weld" the notches. You do have to leave the threads unprotected for adjustment but with the ends in there, the chance of bending that two inches is very minimal. I haven't had a problem with the ends (maybe replaced once in 10 years) but I did use quality Moog replacements.

This is also a great option, I looked into it, but I needed new tie rods, and a steering stabilizer, so this worked best for me. It ended up being a bit cheaper.

+1 for the DIY solution though.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Trucklite LED Headlights

I've been really impressed with the headlights I installed on the TJ.

I love the idea of LED's, they have a low draw, they're very durable, they're bright, and they look really, really cool.

Since there are multiple light elements, I've noticed that they're able to put light in several different areas. It appears they have a "spot" beam that comes out of the light at its farthest distance, providing great range on regular beam. There is also a short distance flood pattern that appears directly in front of the vehicle.

On high beam, they're spectacular and the lighting is immense. I'll only be adding one more set of auxiliary lights because they're so bright.

Something worth noting is the sharp beam cutoff. I noticed this while on the trail the other day. These lights are bright but when you're standing directly in front of them, they don't hurt your eyes. So when winching, unless you're in the direct beam of light, they're very easy to work with, and you can concentrate on your task at hand.

Morticon

Adventurer
Love this thread! I have a 2008 2dr Wrangler, running 35's locked front and rear with about 4" of lift and running 4.56 gears. I do a lot of playing in the rocks but am starting to want to take it on longer trips. will be following this thread for ideas for sure.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Love this thread! I have a 2008 2dr Wrangler, running 35's locked front and rear with about 4" of lift and running 4.56 gears. I do a lot of playing in the rocks but am starting to want to take it on longer trips. will be following this thread for ideas for sure.

It will be interesting once I get to the part about interior storage, I'm sure you'll be able to take a lot from that!

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
The steering on a Jeep TJ is nothing to write home about. The steering rods are hollow, and the rod ends aren't anything spectacular.

There's only a few options to solve this problem. You can do a "rock crawler" steering conversion, with solid steering rods and heim joints; but that would be getting away from the point of this build. Also, if you managed to break, or wear out a heim joint, parts would be hard to find in the middle of nowhere.

A few companies offer upgraded kits, which are close to stock and work well, but it wasn't for me.

I ended up drawing parts once again from the Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ. This allows me to find replacement parts virtually anywhere. Crown Automotive sells this as an upgrade kit for around $200 with a steering dampener.

The V8 Grand Cherokee had beefier tie rod ends, and solid steering rods that are larger in diameter as well.

My only complaint with the conversion is the subpar TRE Boots. Easily fixed however.

I installed this before a 2000 mile trip from Chicago to Prescott, and it has been flawless.

I could have gotten you a v8 ZJ steering setup for about $100 shipped. I have smacked mine on rocks numerous times and always made it home, a reliable cheap upgrade for sure.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I could have gotten you a v8 ZJ steering setup for about $100 shipped. I have smacked mine on rocks numerous times and always made it home, a reliable cheap upgrade for sure.

It's a nice little setup isn't it?

Where do you find it for that cheap? Is it a complete kit?

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
It's a nice little setup isn't it?

Where do you find it for that cheap? Is it a complete kit?

Good used complete setups from the salvage yard. I check the rod ends and pull them. It is a very popular and cheap upgrade for XJ, TJ, and ZJ with the 6 cylinder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy