Jeep Wrangler: Converting a Rock Crawler to a Fun Adventure Vehicle

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
No way I could live with that. I'm glad you posted this. Not that I planned to switch to leds but now I know.

jscusmcvet

Explorer
I have been having a problem with oil pressure.

It all started while replacing a serpentine belt, I noticed immediately after that I had no oil pressure.

Everything with the belt checked out fine, so I attributed it to a sensor, or a sending unit; because a day later, the gauge was pegged as high as it would go.

More research ensued.

All signs pointed to the sending unit.

I had my oil changed today (A luxury, I know)

It turns out the fram filter was causing the issue. I believe it was clogged, either due to a slightly overdue oil change, or due to the paper medium breaking down.

I replaced it with a factory Mopar filter.

Moral of the story, even if Fram is literally all that is available when you're changing your oil, don't use it.

Here's a great resource visually seeing the differences in oil filters.

http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=58887

Docotr D on Rubiconownersforum is a tremendous resource and very helpful. If you need true, unbiased, expert advice, go to that site and ask him. I have countless times.

Mr. D

Adventurer
Matthew, I like what you have done with your jeep. I was looking at upgrading my headlights as well but I am unsure what lights I want to install.
I have a 2004 Rubicon with D44, on a 4" lift with 15" wheels that are 10" wide with 33" tires. I hope to replace the tires soon being the rims and tires were a craiglist find. I wonder if I need to consider upgrading my steering system? I don't rock crawl but do enjoy exploring. Currently I have been mtn biking a lot. I am in Prescott almost every month as my daughter attends the Orme School of Arizona very close to Mayer. Maybe we can hook up soon.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Matthew, I like what you have done with your jeep. I was looking at upgrading my headlights as well but I am unsure what lights I want to install.
I have a 2004 Rubicon with D44, on a 4" lift with 15" wheels that are 10" wide with 33" tires. I hope to replace the tires soon being the rims and tires were a craiglist find. I wonder if I need to consider upgrading my steering system? I don't rock crawl but do enjoy exploring. Currently I have been mtn biking a lot. I am in Prescott almost every month as my daughter attends the Orme School of Arizona very close to Mayer. Maybe we can hook up soon.

I think it's important to keep your vehicle balanced, a factory serviceable heavier duty steering system (ZJ) would make a great upgrade. I would still suggest these LED headlights as well; they're just really cool.

I'll let you know about the next trail run we're going to organize!

Last edited:
If want to keep the LED headlight tap into your windshield washer lines and get a spray nozzle for each light. Me and a friend did that to his TJ a few years ago. I don't know what car he got the nozzles off of (owners probably weren't too happy about it) but they had a very wide spray pattern and worked perfect

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy