Jeep Wrangler: Converting a Rock Crawler to a Fun Adventure Vehicle

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Good used complete setups from the salvage yard. I check the rod ends and pull them. It is a very popular and cheap upgrade for XJ, TJ, and ZJ with the 6 cylinder.

That's a great idea! I guess I never really looked for used parts on wear items though.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I had some complications with the front end on my trip from Illinois to AZ.

Trip Thread Here

I finally got the front end rebuilt; here's some pictures.

Ring gear has been put back in, and front driveshaft re-installed!

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Here's a sneak peak of some lights that are soon to be installed!

Baja Designs Soltek Fuego 100W Driving Beams.

So far, I'm incredibly impressed with the quality of the lights.

They include weatherproof connectors, and the lights are adjustable via stainless hardware and billet knobs.

C Red

Adventurer
The build looks great! I wonder if that Jeeperman gas carrier will bolt to my d-90 swing out tire carrier. Last year up at Pipeline I ran out of gas and had to be pulled by Robbins for a few miles.
Matt I didn't realize you had moved to AZ.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
The build looks great! I wonder if that Jeeperman gas carrier will bolt to my d-90 swing out tire carrier. Last year up at Pipeline I ran out of gas and had to be pulled by Robbins for a few miles.
Matt I didn't realize you had moved to AZ.

I've been all over the last few months!

MattScott

Approved Vendor
After work today, I decided that I needed to organize my tools and cargo area of my Jeep. In doing so, I found an LED work light I had gotten for a good deal on eBay.

It actually had pretty high quality build, all things considered. It came with stainless hardware, and has a great light output, at a low draw. Perfect for the combination backup light / camp light I intended to use it for.

My biggest problem has always been finding a place to mount it. I had considered a few different options, and finally found the answer right in front of me.

My swing-out rear tire carrier has a bar that extends above the wheel mount, to provide more support for the tire. As if it were designed this way - there were two holes, threaded, on top of the bar.

I found a bolt to match the threads on the bar, but unfortunately, it was slightly larger than the hole that came drilled on the light mount.

Easy fix.

I proceeded to bolt the mount to the bar.

From there it was a simple bolt on with the included stainless bolt, nut, and two lock washers.

The second hole provided an excellent opportunity to run the wiring cleanly, and internally.

I'll be working on a wiring solution tomorrow.

I want the light to be controlled via an in cab switch which allows power to go to the light when the vehicle is put in reverse; but allows me to retain the option of not having the light on at all when in reverse.

I would also like a small switch on the outside of the Jeep, to allow the light to be turned on and off, with the vehicle off, but controlled by the same interior switch to prevent someone from messing with it and leaving my battery dead.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I'll be working on a wiring solution tomorrow.

I want the light to be controlled via an in cab switch which allows power to go to the light when the vehicle is put in reverse; but allows me to retain the option of not having the light on at all when in reverse.

I would also like a small switch on the outside of the Jeep, to allow the light to be turned on and off, with the vehicle off, but controlled by the same interior switch to prevent someone from messing with it and leaving my battery dead.

I'm trying to picture how you can do this. May be easiest to just run a switch from the cab and switch it on when you need it backing up. I have 3 sets of lights I am yet to mount up, maybe this thread will motivate me!

hollaback55

Explorer
use a 3 way switch like IPF backup lights use and tie it into the reverse wire on your transmission in one of the switch locations. that way you can have power to lights when you want, flip the switch and have it come on when your vehicle goes into reverse

MattScott

Approved Vendor
use a 3 way switch like IPF backup lights use and tie it into the reverse wire on your transmission in one of the switch locations. that way you can have power to lights when you want, flip the switch and have it come on when your vehicle goes into reverse

This is great, I need to figure out how to remake their wiring now.

Toolman

Explorer
You could use a 6 post 2 position switch or use a relay or two

I like to use relays for a few reasons.
1) it keeps things isolated so that you don't have a back feeding problem
2) all the power going to the relay is fused
3) switches won't burn out from being over loaded

hope this helps

SwitchableReverseLight.jpg

MattScott

Approved Vendor
You could use a 6 post 2 position switch or use a relay or two

I like to use relays for a few reasons.
1) it keeps things isolated so that you don't have a back feeding problem
2) all the power going to the relay is fused
3) switches won't burn out from being over loaded

hope this helps

SwitchableReverseLight.jpg

Holy beans! This is awesome! I can't thank you enough!

Toolman

Explorer
I should be thanking you. Once I helped you figure it out I installed the same set up on my van, I was trying to figure out how to use my fog lights and back up lights on my van the same way. Turn on the head lights and on go the fog lights, however if I want them on for camp set up at night I can hit the toggle the other way and wallah fog lights. Same deal on the rear floods. I took it a bit further and wired up the rock lights to the aux output of my alarm to turn on with the remote aux button. It got me going again.

Thanks.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I'm hoping tomorrow I can start cleaning up the front bumper and get the tabs welded on for the lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC