Jeep Wrangler: Converting a Rock Crawler to a Fun Adventure Vehicle

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey Toolman,
Great job on the wiring setup....I will be using that on my project Thanks

And Matt, very cool to have you in Az and looking forward to hitting a trail sometime.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
Hey Toolman,
Great job on the wiring setup....I will be using that on my project Thanks

And Matt, very cool to have you in Az and looking forward to hitting a trail sometime.

I'll be sure to let you know about future trail events! Are you on facebook? Add me.

those tube bumpers were made by Rev111.

they made them for a couple of years, and had plans to make all kinds of awesome stuff like rocker guards, bumpers, and tire carriers that all bolted to each other to made a continuous wrap of protection around your jeep.
the used some very hi-tech stuff to design everything. they had a robotic arm that was linked to a cad program, wherever they moved the arm it plotted 3d points in the program.

after some quick research, they company is now called metal cloak, so perhaps they are back in business.

i wanted those fenders for my jeep so bad. I was saving up mu money when i was in the air force forever to get them, and when i finally had the funds, the company was no longer around.

and now that i find them again.... i no longer have the jeep. hahaha

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I have been having a problem with oil pressure.

It all started while replacing a serpentine belt, I noticed immediately after that I had no oil pressure.

Everything with the belt checked out fine, so I attributed it to a sensor, or a sending unit; because a day later, the gauge was pegged as high as it would go.

More research ensued.

All signs pointed to the sending unit.

I had my oil changed today (A luxury, I know)

It turns out the fram filter was causing the issue. I believe it was clogged, either due to a slightly overdue oil change, or due to the paper medium breaking down.

I replaced it with a factory Mopar filter.

Moral of the story, even if Fram is literally all that is available when you're changing your oil, don't use it.

Here's a great resource visually seeing the differences in oil filters.

http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=58887

Last edited:

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I took it down a nice little trail today after work. I was experimenting with some driving technique, It's really impressive where this thing will go.

Also tested out the rear gas tank skid, it works!

LowBudget

GPS Man
Oil Filter

+1 on the Mopar filter. I was at O'reilly Auto the other day getting a new starter for my '06 LJ. 50k and it got a bad spot in it, possibly attributed to the rather deep mud/water hole I hit the other day, I digress. While the guy was checking my charging system a mechanic rolled up in a customers newer chevy pickup (V8) that was knocking quite loudly. He said that it was the wrist pin and that the truck had Mobil 1 its whole life. However, this was the first time the owner changed the oil and used a Fram filter. This is now two stories within one week that a Fram filter has failed. Makes me a little nervous as I currently have said filter in my beloved LJ.

Azrunner27

Observer
MattScott....Awesome Thread! Super Inspiring and has made me decide to keep my TJ and make it a little more practical for the Expo World. A lot of my fam is up in Prescott, hope to see you around up there!!

Black_ZJ....still able to get any of the ZJ V8 steering components? Thinking on doing this soon as I am running 35's with stock steering components and its time to find a solution. PM me if so.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
I've found generally favorable feelings towards the Trucklite LED Headlights since I've installed them. They're bright, they have a wide beam of light; while still maintaining good distance, and they're durable.

I've just found my first drawback to the lights. They don't run very hot. Just hot enough for snow to stick, but not melt.

This is after a 15 minute drive during a snow shower.

The wide light array also means that the headlights reflect off any snowflake in front of you, causing near blindness in a snowstorm, and causing increased driver fatigue.

I've found generally favorable feelings towards the Trucklite LED Headlights since I've installed them. They're bright, they have a wide beam of light; while still maintaining good distance, and they're durable.

I've just found my first drawback to the lights. They don't run very hot. Just hot enough for snow to stick, but not melt.

The wide light array also means that the headlights reflect off any snowflake in front of you, causing near blindness in a snowstorm, and causing increased driver fatigue.

This sounds like a classic example of technology getting ahead of materials science, which is a common thing with emerging technology before the bugs get worked out. I'm just glad that it's not like the Titanic, though. That mistake was deadly.

MattScott

Approved Vendor
This sounds like a classic example of technology getting ahead of materials science, which is a common thing with emerging technology before the bugs get worked out. I'm just glad that it's not like the Titanic, though. That mistake was deadly.

I'm hoping that some rain-x will help the issue.

But still, I don't want to have to rain-x my lights all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy