Jeep Wrangler Habitat Official Release

kb7our

Explorer
What is everyones plans for aux power management inside the JK with the stage 1 and stage 2 drawers? What type and where will the aux fuse block/panel go? How many 12v plugs and where will they be located?

Since I already had one, I'm using the RIGrunner 4005 for now http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=rr_4005_c
wired to the driver rear corner inside the JK by the rollbar. Also using Anderson Powerpole connectors on everything. Since the fuse block is not waterproof, although it's fairly safe inside the JK, I intend to enclose it inside a plastic casing to assure extra safety on the connections. I have never had a problem running these in a mobile installation even with all the possible vibrations, dirt, etc. I ran an 8 gauge power lead to the input on the RR and grounded it near the roll bar. Although I have dual batteries up front, I did mount an external covered male 110 AC charging port on the lower part of the panel just in front of the passenger front door so that I can plug in to charge from a gen or wall outlet as needed. Small marine BatteryTender charger is located passenger side under the vented hood panel up near the wipers.

The Nemo JK has the Blue Sea Systems block (smaller version of this) http://bluesea.com/category/5/21/productline/126
mounted against the back inside wall of the stage 2 smaller compartment and maybe some 12V outlets elsewhere that I didn't see.

Last edited:

DingusKahn

Adventurer
What is everyones plans for aux power management inside the JK with the stage 1 and stage 2 drawers? What type and where will the aux fuse block/panel go? How many 12v plugs and where will they be located?

I plan on using Hellroaring Technologies model BIC-95300B http://www.hellroaring.com/bic75300.php
I can't fit a second battery under the hood with the Hemi in there so my house battery will be in the cubby area in the rear, hopefully along with the propane heater.

Ursa Minor

tents, schedules

DingusKahn said:
JOHN - What is your best guess as to delivery with your tent? We won't hold you to it.

manana! :sombrero:

Tents are in the works, just there's a lot of other things also in the works with this project and all the other production we do. (My cloning project has not worked out yet either.) The tent needs to be solid, not a "get by until Nemo temp job" as I'll use it on other designs in the works. Sometime in August I'll have the next tent revision done, if it looks good we dump data to the cutter and make the 2011 orders.

AZUnlimited said:
No one in the general public has taken delivery yet. Projected delivery date is unknown.

We developed the prototype(s) and a schedule but actual production went on hold once Mario got to talking with NEMO, no sense in having a bunch of parts waiting for canvas. Now we're back getting all the other bits on our shelves. For anyone going with a Ursa Minor tent, we'll drop units out fairly quickly once I get the tent dialled in as we will have some spare production capacity going into fall which I will fill with this.

For NEMO tents, UMV can't project a unit delivery date until Nemo has a tent schedule - which is still early 2012 at this point.

cheers
John

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I just passed the Nemo JK towing a Chaser down the Mt Rose Highway (In between Tahoe and Reno) the other day. It looked great... @ 50 mph.

jrueppel

Adventurer
Ah lucky sighting! I spent the weekend at Lover's Leap climbing. If I'd known the Nemo Habitat was so close I would have tried to drive the Rubicon for the first time just to see it. ;)

kb7our

Explorer
The electric water heater is made by the same Austrian company that make our heat exchange version. While I do not have first hand experience with the performance, we have installed one in Equipts Land Cruiser. I will see Paul next week and will be able to share his experiences as far as performance goes.

Mario, do you have anything to share from Paul regarding the electric water heater performance? How does the size compare to the heat exchanger version AT sells? Will it mount to the same location in front of Stage 2 storage?

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I just passed the Nemo JK towing a Chaser down the Mt Rose Highway (In between Tahoe and Reno) the other day. It looked great... @ 50 mph.

We had just come off of the Rubicon. Man, MT Rose Hwy is one steep climb! We were loaded down with gear and trying to keep the temp guage down. I think it was 95F+ on Sunday. You should have flagged us down amigo!

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
We had just come off of the Rubicon. Man, MT Rose Hwy is one steep climb! We were loaded down with gear and trying to keep the temp guage down. I think it was 95F+ on Sunday. You should have flagged us down amigo!

Mario,

Mt. Rose Highway has the designation of being ONE of the highest open year round passes in North America. At least that's what the sign says at the Summit.

I saw you guys on the downhill portion and the combo package looked really good. If I would have known it was you driving, or that you were in the JK, I would have turned around for sure. I'm bummed I missed you.

As we talked about on the phone during the eve of the SEMA debut that night, I'm very excited about the release of the Habitat. It would be the final push needed to buy another Jeep.

kb7our

Explorer
Any updates from UM or AT-OverLand?

Still on the fence for the UM vs. Nemo tent although I do like John's philosophy in that his version won't be a "get by until Nemo" product.

Any major progress on shell enhancements, UM and Nemo tent tweaks, and overall Habitat outlook?

Hannibal USA

Adventurer
Mario,

Mt. Rose Highway has the designation of being ONE of the highest open year round passes in North America. At least that's what the sign says at the Summit.

I saw you guys on the downhill portion and the combo package looked really good. If I would have known it was you driving, or that you were in the JK, I would have turned around for sure. I'm bummed I missed you.

As we talked about on the phone during the eve of the SEMA debut that night, I'm very excited about the release of the Habitat. It would be the final push needed to buy another Jeep.

hwy 4 is not open year round but would have been a good one also

also Mario a lot of us in this area drive those grades on a daily basis or at least once a week....90,000 miles on my Jeep jk of this environment and still running strong..

Last edited:

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Maybe it has been asked but is it possible to put a roof rack on the habitat?

Short answer... NO
I guess if you put on a short one near the back that was supported primarily by the bumper and could pivot back when you open the habitat then maybe. But it would be in the way of the "kitchen" etc, so probably not.

Finatic Angler

Adventurer
Short answer... NO
I guess if you put on a short one near the back that was supported primarily by the bumper and could pivot back when you open the habitat then maybe. But it would be in the way of the "kitchen" etc, so probably not.

My mistake on not explaining correctly.

I was thinking more of a thule or Yakima system with just crossbars not a roof rack like a Gobi.

AZUnlimited

Adventurer
With regards to the crossbars on the top, I believe this has been covered one of the Habitat threads. The answer was something to the effect of, it's possible, but now recommended as it puts additional strain on the hinges and the torsion bar is pre-loaded to a rate that would not account for the additional weight.
There is some feedback/reviews from flippak owners on this subject in other threads that would give you an idea of life with a flippak that has load bars on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal