Jeep Wrangler Habitat Official Release

Ursa Minor

Awnings

(will) the Habitat will be able to support a traditional awning/canopy? Fiamma, Hannibal, Foxwing??

It shouldn't be a problem mounting an awning on the base shell, there's some access to the back side from the interior. With Fiamma there is a variety of mounting locations so it is straightforward. The limitation if any will be at the front due to the hinge and limited vertical space. It would also get in the way of the ladder. The shell side is slightly curved, so the awning will need to be shimmed out on the ends.
I haven't mounted any other integrated awnings so can not say for sure on those.
If you have a Hannibal or Foxwing, you can ship it to UMV at some point and we'll get the mounting figured out for you on the prototype in the shop.

- Cheers
John

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Does anyone know if the Habitat will be able to support a traditional awning/canopy? Fiamma, Hannibal, Foxwing??

Traditional awning shouldn't be a problem.

The Hannibal and Foxwing apply high degrees of stress at the mounting points when the awning is deployed, this effect is really compounded in the Foxwing design. This could be problematic under adverse conditions such as rain an wind.

AZUnlimited

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies John and Martyn

The Hannibal and Foxwing apply high degrees of stress at the mounting points when the awning is deployed, this effect is really compounded in the Foxwing design. This could be problematic under adverse conditions such as rain an wind.

Does this mean the Hannibal and Foxwing are not recommended?

kb7our

Explorer

That's my read. I wonder if the zip on Nemo awning shown at OE11 will be revised for a stand alone version not dependent on the Nemo tent that could work with the UMV tent or as a standard awning?

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018

No, it means if they are going to be used on the Habitat the supports and strengthening have to be engineered. The Hannibal is self supporting and this awning puts considerable strain on the mounting points, and the Foxwing has all of it's outriggers attached to one point.

The Habitat has a steel internal frame, which would act as a good anchor point, but it was designed to mitigate the torque from the torsion bar. We'd have to look at the materials and design again to see how this new stress would effect it. But this all costs time and money.

FrostByte

A couple of the pics I took while at JJ in Ouray.

IMG_4390-P40.jpg

IMG_4376-P40.jpg

DingusKahn

Adventurer
No, it means if they are going to be used on the Habitat the supports and strengthening have to be engineered. The Hannibal is self supporting and this awning puts considerable strain on the mounting points, and the Foxwing has all of it's outriggers attached to one point.

The Habitat has a steel internal frame, which would act as a good anchor point, but it was designed to mitigate the torque from the torsion bar. We'd have to look at the materials and design again to see how this new stress would effect it. But this all costs time and money.

From the pictures you sent us of the inside of the shell I remember a steel frame. Couldn't 3 or 4 mounting points be attached to that and brought out to the surface for mounting whatever awning one wants? The foxwing has a track on the back and can be attached anywhere along its entire length. It is not real easy to set up, but does provide a huge cover. I thinks Nemo's zip on light weight is the best solution. But more options are better.

kb7our

Explorer
From the pictures you sent us of the inside of the shell I remember a steel frame. Couldn't 3 or 4 mounting points be attached to that and brought out to the surface for mounting whatever awning one wants? The foxwing has a track on the back and can be attached anywhere along its entire length. It is not real easy to set up, but does provide a huge cover. I thinks Nemo's zip on light weight is the best solution. But more options are better.

DK...I see where you are going with this...see post 53

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/59908-Jeep-Wrangler-Habitat-Official-Release/page6

I do not believe the question was ever answered although I could have missed that one. That top proto has just what you are seeking. Not to beat up on AT here - I would think the capability to mount a standard awning like Fiamma, etc. to the "shell" would be a basic accomodation for the Habitat unless the thinking is if we want an awning wait for Nemo "late next year" or $upgrade$ to that if we go with UMV V2.1 now. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

keithro

Adventurer
I'm sure someone will figure it out once the habitats are on the market. For the time being you'll have to use a hat with your habitat :)

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Awning

We did make a provision in the reinforcement to allow for the attachment of a Fiamma F35 Pro, 1.8M to the sides. As John pointed out, the sides of the JK have a curve in them so the attachment requires a spacer.

If you are in the Los Angeles area, the Habitat is on display at Off Road Expo this weekend in building 5, Oct 8-9 at the LA County Fairgrounds Fairplex. We'll give you the full tour :)

KABC covered it in last nights news: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=8383883

kb7our

Explorer
We did make a provision in the reinforcement to allow for the attachment of a Fiamma F35 Pro, 1.8M to the sides. As John pointed out, the sides of the JK have a curve in them so the attachment requires a spacer.

If you are in the Los Angeles area, the Habitat is on display at Off Road Expo this weekend in building 5, Oct 8-9 at the LA County Fairgrounds Fairplex. We'll give you the full tour :)

KABC covered it in last nights news: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/video?id=8383883

I should have guessed - right on AT with your "swiss army knife on wheels"! The Fiamma is an excellent choice even if it does not wrap to the back.

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Mr TV

Nice spot on the News there Mario!

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
I should have guessed - right on AT with your "swiss army knife on wheels"! The Fiamma is an excellent choice even if it does not wrap to the back.

Nice spot on the News there Mario!

Getting the coverage was fortuitous. The red color and the white NEMO "N" on the door...heck it could have been made by Victornox.

The Fiamma is a nice durable and compact awning. To the best of my knowledge, it is the most compact hard case unit available. With practice, it is also one of the fastest to deploy. I think OJ clocked me at under a minute on a vehicle mounted F35.

Ramdough

Adventurer
UMV is ready to move ahead with the tent construction, and we are waiting to hear from Nemo on their version of the tent. If I was to offer any personal advise, it would be to go with the UMV tent as we don't have a firm delivery date on

so far, I have only seen new Nemo tent pictures in this thread. Does anyone have pictures of the UMV tent?

kb7our

Explorer
so far, I have only seen new Nemo tent pictures in this thread. Does anyone have pictures of the UMV tent?

See page 8 post 78 pic #2 for the only version we have seen (well pic 1 is the first quick version made I believe to get the top up and running for SEMA 2010). Supposedly it's being worked on with refinements (I presume for better fit and finish without the extra fabric folds, wrinkles, etc.) Maybe UMV will chime in with pics and/or status very soon??? Still no firm delivery date...not sure why.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal