Jeep Wrangler Habitat Official Release

AZUnlimited

Adventurer
I just noticed the picture of the J30 in the latest Overland Journal that arrived this week. Also interested to hear about the hatch location.

BTW - Take a look at the Ursa Minor Vehicles facebook page. They have some pics of in progress habitat and popup

Last edited:

Ursa Minor

Q&A, delivery of J30 vs Habitat

re: the J30....interested to hear about the hatch location.
- The access way is located above the rear seats in the J30, same as in the Habitat. I'll try to answer J30 specific questions over in the other thread going forward to maintain the focus on the Habitat in this thread.

More importantly, to answer a question posed elsewhere about timing between the two campers (J30 and Habitat), we are building Habitat units now for AT. These will ship with UMV tents, or will wait at AT for the Nemo tents to arrive. For those with deposits for Habitats, I committed to Mario to fill the current orders he has placed with UMV before switching the production team to the J30 orders. Once caught up, we'll continue to build in order received, whether it's a J30 or a Habitat.

Please understand that there may be a scenario between today and the point when the Nemo tents are in stock where J30 units are shipping, while some earlier Habitat orders must wait for Nemo tents.

Cheers,
John

jrueppel

Adventurer
Very cool to see the level of finish on the inside over the driver's head. Great to have a place to stick the Delorme!

jrueppel

Adventurer
It might apply to the Habitat but be careful. There are 3 JKU tops now to refer to: 1) AT's Habitat, UMVs J30 and J180 (the pic you mention).

Very true. I'm working from the understanding that the J180 is the base for all AT Habitats but that might not be the correct assumption.

kb7our

Explorer
Very true. I'm working from the understanding that the J180 is the base for all AT Habitats but that might not be the correct assumption.

I suspect it is but there could be marketing differences in features as is already the case with the tent design.

Ursa Minor

Interior

It might apply to the Habitat but be careful. There are 3 JKU tops now to refer to: 1) AT's Habitat, UMVs J30 and J180 (the pic you mention).

The J180 is the core of the Habitat, which can also encompass the various drawers, water systems, and other accessories designed & installed by AT. There is no plan to differentiate the J180 from the Habitat with specific features on one or the other. Other than things determined by the pop top vs fold over design, the J30/J180 will have similar features and options.

Which is a long way of saying the photos are applicable to the interior of any UMV Jeep camper, (if there is anything unique to a design, it will be noted in the caption)

cheers,
John

Yellowkayak

Adventurer
Got a question ...sense the tenting material is mounted on the INSIDE lip of the sheel....what keeps rain from building up and leaking into the tent area. Any UP CLOSE pictures of the seam around the tent and how it is mounted to the shell?

JJ

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I think that's going to be challenging in the dimensions of an unaltered JK Unlimited. The Earthroamer squeezes in some RV conveniences, while the Action Camper design cleverly has even a table and seating as well as a kitchen (see other threads) but it extends over the rear bumper and sides of the Jeep to do so. Both have removed the rear roll bar.
cheers - John

Challenging for space, yes. Impossible in my view, no.

Just to be clear, if I buy a J180, and either rip out the rear roll bar or seriously modify it, is there any reason I can't have a "cut-out" that's essentially the entire regular roof?
So I can stand up in most of the Jeep, is my thought.
I'd lose the rear seats, and do my best to make a very-tight-but-barely livable inside space for when the weather, safety or other reasons require it. (In the case of safety, I'd be inside with the roof down)

Thanks,
-Dan

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Got a question ...sense the tenting material is mounted on the INSIDE lip of the sheel....what keeps rain from building up and leaking into the tent area. Any UP CLOSE pictures of the seam around the tent and how it is mounted to the shell?

JJ

Look at post #29 on page 3 you can see that the flap extends over the shell to shed the water off of the top. That is just a prototype. The final product will address the full perimeter of the tent.

DK

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Challenging for space, yes. Impossible in my view, no.

Just to be clear, if I buy a J180, and either rip out the rear roll bar or seriously modify it, is there any reason I can't have a "cut-out" that's essentially the entire regular roof?
So I can stand up in most of the Jeep, is my thought.
I'd lose the rear seats, and do my best to make a very-tight-but-barely livable inside space for when the weather, safety or other reasons require it. (In the case of safety, I'd be inside with the roof down)

Thanks,
-Dan

I think you could but then you would kill all of the storage area in the back of the Jeep for "walking around" space? The standard hatch is the entire back seat area between the center roll bar and back roll bar. Go to Adventure Trailer web page and look at the "Storage" for the JK Habitat. They have it set up so that you can sleep down below for an extra person or in the emergency situation you mentioned.

DK

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk