Jeep Wrangler Habitat Official Release

Ramdough

Adventurer
Are these tents designed for high winds?

High winds are common for me. I have a technitop RTT and I have to park small side into the wind. I have to tie my rain fly down (no poles holding open my side overhangs) I can't use my awning in high winds. I still have to worry about grommets tearing out.

It seams to me that only the gen 1 tent would be ok in a strong wind.

By high winds, I am thinking 25-40 mph with gusts going higher.

Any thoughts or features design in for high winds?

kb7our

Explorer
SEMA Nemo AT Habitat

The NEMO AT Habitat pic at SEMA that I just saw looks real purdy Mario! Did the latest refinements on the tent make it on the cap so we get a peek at what's going to the production cycle soon?

How about the UMV tent refinements version - will that be on show?

Last edited:

Ursa Minor

Tents, SEMA, et al

Are these tents designed for high winds? High winds are common for me. I have a Technitop RTT and I have to park small side into the wind. I have to tie my rain fly down (no poles holding open my side overhangs) I can't use my awning in high winds. I still have to worry about grommets tearing out. It seems to me that only the gen 1 tent would be ok in a strong wind. ..25-40 mph with gusts going higher.
  • All tents have to either absorb wind energy briefly (backpacking/alpine tents deflect significantly under heavy gusts, then spring back) or they have to avoid it through aerodynamics (ie, no flaps, rounded shape, low to the ground etc.) The challenge with all roof top tents is they have vertical walls to maximize the space, are located well off the ground above the vehicle and usually require pretty stout poles/canvas due to the folding mechanism.
  • It’s always better to put the small side of a RTT into the prevailing wind if you can to reduce the surface area exposed, or if possible locate your camp in the lee of some larger object be it a rock or a grove of trees/brush. There’s no magic that will make this tent do something other RTT designs can’t. Anything flapping loose in 35 knots of wind is bound to wear prematurely, whether a tent or a main sail.

• Even so, our goal is to make a durable weather proof shelter for extended use. The first UMV tent was pretty simple, so there is not a lot to catch the wind. The other subtle thing is it’s 12” shorter in the front than the 2nd UMV tent or the Nemo design, both of which were even in height front/back, which gives more room inside but increases the surface area on the front panel. The walls on all the designs are slightly tapered in, to help shift wind over the sides and stiffen the poles, and the single-wall design so that should help the flapping. The eaves/awnings on the UMV & NEMO designs will definitely change in the next revision(s) to improve set up and weather proofing.
The NEMO AT Habitat pic at SEMA that I just saw looks real purdy Mario! Did the latest refinements on the tent make it on the cap so we get a peek at what's going to the production cycle soon? How about the UMV tent refinements version - will that be on show?

• The tent on the NEMO looks to be the original revision to my eye, though the new tent was due any time, but maybe not “in time” as AT had other projects they were working on for SEMA. We did a batch of upgrades on the shell/cap/hinges and the tent poles over the summer so everything is fitting better on that prototype even with the same tent.
  • The NEMO is the only unit on display at SEMA – the other prototype is back at UMV with the new tent in progress on it. We’re building the first production composite parts right now, so I need the tent dialed in now so we can ship the first couple. (If I was authoring a novel they'd call it writer’s block, not sure what they call it in sewing work) I have a lot of ideas that I am exploring with suppliers and more experienced tent guys about technical aspects of the design and sewing - single wall tents are more challenging that our pop up tents. Instead of prototyping a whole tent which would be cool to post photos of, I am doing concepts in CAD then sewing a feature at 1/3 scale to see how it looks/works.

- off to SEMA myself, the AT guys are already there - so we might not reply as quickly this week!

cheers, John

DingusKahn

Adventurer
The NEMO AT Habitat pic at SEMA that I just saw looks real purdy Mario! Did the latest refinements on the tent make it on the cap so we get a peek at what's going to the production cycle soon?

How about the UMV tent refinements version - will that be on show?

And just where did you see thes pics?? Share please.

userfehler

I'm thrilled that finally a solution is in development which has the potential to turn the JK into a real tourer :wings:

I have to admit that I'm not quite clear on the headroom in the "living area". Traveling only as a couple we would only require the front bedroom and would love to be able to use the room behind the front seats at full height (I'm 6'3''). We even have the vision of installing a indoor kitchen module and a foldaway table to be able to live in-door should it be raining which is quite often the case in my favorite touring destinations Scandinavia and Scotland.

Hence my request for some more photos from the interior.

Greetings from Switzerland!
Cheers,
Florian

userfehler

Yes indeed on all of the few photos I've seen so far the interior was only used for storage. However I would still think that it should be possible to get a small kitchen, sink, table into the back interior of a JK Unlimited.

Compared with the Flip Pac top the top of the Habitat however seems to cover the back interior up more which means that there would be less space to stand upright in the back :(

And yes I know - the rollbar is in the way. Still I haven't given up on that idea yet :elkgrin:

Ursa Minor

Habitat interior options

...I think that it should be possible to get a small kitchen, sink, table into the back interior of a JK Unlimited.

I think that's going to be challenging in the dimensions of an unaltered JK Unlimited. The Earthroamer squeezes in some RV conveniences, while the Action Camper design cleverly has even a table and seating as well as a kitchen (see other threads) but it extends over the rear bumper and sides of the Jeep to do so. Both have removed the rear roll bar.

...Compared to the Flip Pac top, the top of the Habitat however seems to cover the back interior up more which means that there would be less space to stand upright in the back

Flip-Pac designs are only available for pick up truck beds, so it's not really a good comparison. The interior of the Habitat is constrained by the roll bar in the Jeep. If you want to compare to a truck camper, it might make more sense if we make a real change in the JK. That would start with installing the J8 Independence truck conversion THEN adding a modified Habitat camper hard top. Once you've removed the rear roll bar and seating and added the full bed, the interior area of the Habitat above the rear of the jeep could be opened up significantly. Of course...you're investing another 5 to 10K USD for the MOPAR parts, installation and customization but you'd have more room to live in and might just still be less expensive than an EarthRoamer or ActionCamper. I'll add this option to my project list...after I get caught up on regular Habitat orders :D

cheers - John

userfehler

Hi John

Many thanks for the comprehensive response! I was probably indeed a bit over-enthusiastic :drool:

I'll add this option to my project list...after I get caught up on regular Habitat orders :D

I shall be watching this space then :Astrologist:

Thanks again!
Cheers,
Florian

kb7our

Explorer
  • All tents have to either absorb wind energy briefly (backpacking/alpine tents deflect significantly under heavy gusts, then spring back) or they have to avoid it through aerodynamics (ie, no flaps, rounded shape, low to the ground etc.) The challenge with all roof top tents is they have vertical walls to maximize the space, are located well off the ground above the vehicle and usually require pretty stout poles/canvas due to the folding mechanism.
  • It's always better to put the small side of a RTT into the prevailing wind if you can to reduce the surface area exposed, or if possible locate your camp in the lee of some larger object be it a rock or a grove of trees/brush. There's no magic that will make this tent do something other RTT designs can't. Anything flapping loose in 35 knots of wind is bound to wear prematurely, whether a tent or a main sail.

• Even so, our goal is to make a durable weather proof shelter for extended use. The first UMV tent was pretty simple, so there is not a lot to catch the wind. The other subtle thing is it's 12” shorter in the front than the 2nd UMV tent or the Nemo design, both of which were even in height front/back, which gives more room inside but increases the surface area on the front panel. The walls on all the designs are slightly tapered in, to help shift wind over the sides and stiffen the poles, and the single-wall design so that should help the flapping. The eaves/awnings on the UMV & NEMO designs will definitely change in the next revision(s) to improve set up and weather proofing.

• The tent on the NEMO looks to be the original revision to my eye, though the new tent was due any time, but maybe not “in time” as AT had other projects they were working on for SEMA. We did a batch of upgrades on the shell/cap/hinges and the tent poles over the summer so everything is fitting better on that prototype even with the same tent.
  • The NEMO is the only unit on display at SEMA – the other prototype is back at UMV with the new tent in progress on it. We're building the first production composite parts right now, so I need the tent dialed in now so we can ship the first couple. (If I was authoring a novel they'd call it writer's block, not sure what they call it in sewing work) I have a lot of ideas that I am exploring with suppliers and more experienced tent guys about technical aspects of the design and sewing - single wall tents are more challenging that our pop up tents. Instead of prototyping a whole tent which would be cool to post photos of, I am doing concepts in CAD then sewing a feature at 1/3 scale to see how it looks/works.

- off to SEMA myself, the AT guys are already there - so we might not reply as quickly this week!

cheers, John

Hey John, way cool stuff! Don't forget the skylight :Astrologist:
What are Santa's chances of delivering a UMV canvased Habitat? Feel free to share any CAD versions (publicly or privately) you feel you can for feedback. Looks like the Nemo canvas is way way out there for actual delivery (guessing 3Q or 4Q 2012). Thanks for continuing to share updates!

jrueppel

Adventurer
Thanks again for the regular updates John. Great to hear the first couple of shells are formed up and waiting for their tents. Hope some SEMA inspiration helped work through the writer's/tent maker's block to bring the design together. After 21 months of waiting like a monk for the Habitat to come, another week or two won't hurt too much. But with the finish line getting close the waiting is getting exciting. Psyched to see the final design when there are photos.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
Ursa Minor now has photos of a pop-up style JK conversion on the Ursa website. Given their partnership with AT on the Habitat the offering of a pop-up seems to be an appropriate topic for this thread.

I actually prefer the pop-up version compared to fold-over style Habitat because it will allow for the mounting of racks to carry bikes, kayaks etc. Unless you need to sleep four people the pop-top seems to be the more versatile option.

Ursa Minor also has the same picture below in an advertisement on page 103 of the Winter 2011 issue of Overland Journal.

http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/jeep.htm

J30_4280.jpg

DKB2GO

Observer
That J30 is nice. Wonder if the hatch is at the rear or over the rear seats.
Either way, given the release of the ActionCamper too, JKU owners have some nice new options.

kb7our

Explorer
That J30 is nice. Wonder if the hatch is at the rear or over the rear seats.
Either way, given the release of the ActionCamper too, JKU owners have some nice new options.

The hatch location will be good to know. I suspect the same location as the Habitat, as the location between the roll bars seems to provide the larger opening and leaves the back of the JK available for options like fridge, stove, drawers, etc. Likely just the cap is different, just a guess. This new pop up option is certainly something to consider, which I now am doing. Great to have options. Add the Action Camper as you noted, and we have some great choices shaping up eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk