Jeep Wrangler Habitat Official Release

AZUnlimited

Adventurer
Latest Update on #1

Talked to Mario today. Getting really close. The Habitat is back from the painters. Just waiting on the tent assemble to complete and it to be shipped to Prescott for final fitment to the shell.

Here are some photos of the painted shell.
web.jpg

web.jpg

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Yea, AZU, I like the black. I too want it to look just like stock. I ask Mario about doing the tuff coating of LineX instead of paint. But he never got back to me. The stock hard top has a bit of a texture to it, so the LineX wouldn't look that odd. IMO...
I just don't see me getting mine before Overland Expo at this rate. Unless they really crank up production. Hope so. Glad things are getting going though.
(and yes, now I see the pics)

kb7our

Explorer
AZU, looks nice and I see you decided to go with glossy over a matte finish, the latter which is what I want like a factory non-body color matched top (AEV texture bumper match would be perfect). Looks great! Hope you don't have to wait long for the tent. Maybe Mario or John will chime in with some general overall progress updates to set the expectation for us. I'm hoping to have mine in time for OE12 and that's with a Nemo tent. We'll see.

Last edited:

AZUnlimited

Adventurer
Paint Decision

My goal was to have it look as stock as possible. Mario had it all set to get the texturing and black matte finish. Then something weird happened. When I woke up in the morning the day after the top was dropped off at the painters, the first thought to pop into my head was... "In the AZ Sun, being able to wax the top may be a good thing". So I called up Mario and told him my concern and that I would like to be able to wax the Habitat. So the texturing was out, and the gloss of the clear coat needed to be bumped up.

DingusKahn

Adventurer
Oh I'm glad to see you talk about that paint. I don't want to wax. And I want it to look like the stock top. Texturing and matte finish for me, I think. I talked to Mario today about my idea for LineX on the top. He took a 12ga and shot that one all to hell. Doesn't hold up to the sun. Heavy. looks like crap in two to three years. So paint for me I guess. I want to see the shiney top on the Jeep first.
Mario also told me the next top is under construction and the Nemo tents are on schedule. Just a matter of how fast the fiberglass construction goes now. Problem is only one mold. Fiberglass is one thing (of many) I know nothing about.
That back window bothers me. I just doesn't look right without the glass... but being a "camper" I want the privacy of no glass. And I want to mount something on the inside on both sides. Guess I'll just have to get used to it without the glass.

kb7our

Explorer
Oh I'm glad to see you talk about that paint. I don't want to wax. And I want it to look like the stock top. Texturing and matte finish for me, I think. I talked to Mario today about my idea for LineX on the top. He took a 12ga and shot that one all to hell. Doesn't hold up to the sun. Heavy. looks like crap in two to three years. So paint for me I guess. I want to see the shiney top on the Jeep first.
Mario also told me the next top is under construction and the Nemo tents are on schedule. Just a matter of how fast the fiberglass construction goes now. Problem is only one mold. Fiberglass is one thing (of many) I know nothing about.
That back window bothers me. I just doesn't look right without the glass... but being a "camper" I want the privacy of no glass. And I want to mount something on the inside on both sides. Guess I'll just have to get used to it without the glass.

I'm thinking matte finish as well but would like to see the glossy mounted up. Makes sense AZU on the waxing and you have a good point there, but I still "think" I prefer the matte. On the windows, I'm getting the passenger side window but a solid driver's side. Thinking about how often I peek out the passenger side when lane changing or turning, even though when camping the JKU is typically fully loaded in back and I cannot see out either side window anyway. Since my JKU is a daily driver, I prefer the one window. Now on the single mold, just how long does it take for each top to occupy the mold before another can be set up? My "guess" is 2 weeks between mold uses??? Good news on the Nemo tents.

Last edited:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
On subject of the Line-X texture as well as other poly bed liners, while they offer UV stable versions, our experience is that when exposed to continual sun for which Arizona is notorious , it loses its luster and start to looks a bit chalky. The prototype Oasis trailer we built a few years back was done in gray Line-X and after about 2 years started to yellow even though a UV stable material was used. The coatings performance was not diminished in any way, just the color started to change.

One of our concerns about Line-X and this is based upon experience with our drawer systems, is that it adds weight. To paint a top only takes a few pints of material. To Line-X would be more like a gallon + due to it's thickness. The torsion spring has been engineered for a specific weight top and altering that weight will change the torsion bar performance. One Habitat client is adamant about using Line-X so eventually we will learn just how much is will be effected. Until then, it is all theoretical.

I'm not a paint expert but our local painter told us that a matte smooth paint would eventually start to gloss up after repeated waxing. There are bonafide textured paints and we're looking into them. Right now, all we are aware of is a two step process with texture being shot first and paint second. We'll learn more as we explore our options.

Having driven around in a couple of 2012 models lately, visibility out the rear side window is pretty horrible with the head rest on the rear passenger seat blocking a lot of the view. I have become accustomed to driving by the mirrors and not found myself at a disadvantage in traffic. Moving my head around to scan through the mirror field is about the same effort looking over my shoulder.

Updates on production are that parts are being successfully pulled from the molds by UMV. Initially we're looking at a unit every two weeks until everyone is over the learning hump. The forge is analyzing final heat treatment data and will treat the balance of torsion rods that have been made. UMV is sewing still and is close to completion on their tent. Before release of their tent though they need to sew a duplicate for the contract sewer to use as a model. This is expected to be done in the next week or two. NEMO is on track to submit to us a sample of the final revisions by mid-March and upon our thumbs up be poised to deliver the first seven tents to AT in April, in time to meet commitments for OVX.

...more to come....

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the great update. It's awesome to see/hear this is moving along.

The torsion spring has been engineered for a specific weight top and altering that weight will change the torsion bar performance.
How hard would it be to put a "bigger" or "stronger" torsion spring in there?
I'd still really like to run a solar panel or two on the roof.

I'm not a paint expert but our local painter told us that a matte smooth paint would eventually start to gloss up after repeated waxing. There are bonafide textured paints and we're looking into them.
I wonder what the process is on the OEM hard tops?
I think many people will be very happy with that finish.

Thanks again,
-Dan

kb7our

Explorer
"I wonder what the process is on the OEM hard tops?
I think many people will be very happy with that finish."

I'm one! Anyone else?

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
I plan to buy at Habitat/J180 or a J30 later this year and will have it painted to match the body (white) with no texture.

AZUnlimited

Adventurer
Any significant progess a week later?

Talked to Mario this morning. He is shooting for March 10 as the assembly date to finish the top. As stated in his most recent post, John is going to sew two tents before he releases the first one.

Thus the waiting game continues...

John, any pictures you can share of the tent?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jrueppel

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing the photos and the updates. Great to see shell #1 painted and in Prescott. Lets me know the long wait for #3 is getting closer to the end at last. But man it's also hard to stick with flat black after seeing how good the gloss looks. Always was a tough choice. Nice to meet y'all also. Been lurking around on Expo for the last couple of years with out saying hi trying to figure out who else had the crazy vision to jump into the early adopters pool. -Jeff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach