JK Overland Project: Expeditions West 3.0

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Saw it parked yesterday at Lake Mary just south of Flagstaff and it had...gasp....car seats in the back. It appears much of the former gear I was used to seeing in the back has been removed. My buddy and I were on a car road trip and I quickly radio'd to turn around when I saw it. I didn't see anyone familiar on the shores of the lake so I'm not sure who had it there.

Todd Z.

Ha!
C'mon now, those are super-bolstered off road car seats made by Recaro!
I was taking my in-house overlanding team on a little fishing expedition, we even pulled in a couple of 3lb northern pike!
We were on the opposite shore on the other side of the dam. I was watching you, wondering who was scoping out the OVJK so intently! :cool:

It has actually been very interesting to try the configuration with the Recaro seats in the back. It's pulling a whole nother enthusiast segment out of the woodwork. I'm probably stopped four times a week by guys and couples who have a JK and kids or a two door jeep crammed with car seats. They are all interested in learning more, they want to know all about the AEV parts, how it performs, how it serves as a family platform and the questions go on and on! The best are the guys who sold their Jeep, FJ or other because they had kids and now they see the JK and a viable platform to get back exploring again. The JK really offeres a wide range of versatility.

I can report that the OVJK is running strong and performing flawlessly even after all these hard miles and exciting adventures! We have tried a few different configurations using the complete interior platform, National Luna fridge and AT drawer system and now the current state with a portion of the platform removed and the 60% rear seat installed to allow more passengers.

At the beginning of June we removed the 60% rear seat, the fridge and the drawer system and used the entire expanded cargo area for the Overland Rally & Workshop in North Carolina. It was a great feature vehicle that everyone always loves to see and it's cargo capacity impressively swallowed all the supplies needed for the event including several large Snow Peak structures, a Goal Zero solar array, video and audio equipment, a few hundred copies of Overland Journal, boxes of ExPo t-shirts and more. Then we put a new Eezi Awn tent on top! The trip was flawless with a consistent strong pull from the engine, very little oil consumption over 4,000+ miles and decent fuel economy.

Probably the best example of its performance was when we first pulled into The Flats in NC, Equipt in their 80 series and me in the OVJK explored a couple of the trails before unloading, with a full load the OVJK just walked the trails without a moment of hesitation!
:smiley_drive:

Brian

Last edited:

toddz69

Explorer
Ha!
C'mon now, those are super-bolstered off road car seats made by Recaro!
I was taking my in-house overlanding team on a little fishing expedition, we even pulled in a couple of 3lb northern pike!
We were on the opposite shore on the other side of the dam. I was watching you, wondering who was scoping out the OVJK so intently! :cool:

Thanks for the report, Brian. I was thinking who in the OJ family might have kiddos and you were the only one who I thought might fit that bill. I figured we were being watched so we didn't get too close :). Scott was gracious enough to let me drive the truck for about 10 miles on a trip back in January and I was very thankful for the honor - it's a great rig. My buddy who was with me is a pavement pounder so I gave him a tour of the vehicle's features that I knew about.

Todd Z.

jgolden

Adventurer
This may sound like a silly question, but what color is this rig?
Is it a stock production jeep color?
Some pics it looks white, other pics look off-white or cream.

haven

Expedition Leader
Back in 2009, at the beginning of this project, Scott wrote
"The 35" tires with the Nth Degree Suspension precluded the need for lockers. Even at street pressure...The Overland JK stands out for its trail performance and the suspension..."

Is this still the opinion of the Overland Journal crew? No lockers needed for typical trail use? Being a Rubicon model, the Wrangler does have lockers, but it sounds like the AEV suspension and 35 inch tires work very well.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
At the NC Overland Rally, the OVJK had open diffs (don't remember if Brian said it did not have lockers, or the lockers did not work). He did good. Brian however did talk about lockers, so I assume he missed having them at one point or another ;) :elkgrin:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
JKs have brake-lock differentials (electronic brake modulation) that fills in for traction-aiding on the open diff models.
I drove my open diff Sahara for nearly 90,000 miles and only cussed the lack of lockers one time. And that was on 33s (MTR/kevlars)

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I ran all over Ouray last year in my JK with open diffs and 35s and never missed my locker from my old TJ.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've seen the question asked twice with no response, so I'll ask again... Stock 4.10 gears??? Or??? If stock, are you guys satisfied with drive-ability?

Thanks for a reply!

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I've seen the question asked twice with no response, in 25 pages, so I'll ask again... Stock 4.10 gears??? Or???

Thanks for a reply!

I've never driven it, but I took a photo of the plaque that Chrysler/Jeep put on it at the first Overland Expo. I am reasonably sure they kept the drivetrain stock, which would mean 4:10 gears on D44's, right? Except, if that were the case, wouldn't it have lockers?

523250792_zYSjf-XL.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Maybe they didn't feel they needed to mention lockers? Although they did state the obvious about the 3.8 engine, "slush mats" etc... Having just bought a 2011 Rubicon, i can't see them leaving stock gears in that one. Too much to lose by having the 35s and auto trans etc robbing power. Unless they figured only a select few would ever be behind the wheel??

JPR4LFE

Adventurer
I know that in 07 and some of 08 that many JK's with the tow package came with 4.10s (D30 front and D44 rear). So I am sure that if Mopar wanted "Stock" 4.10s for this Jeep without a locker it would not have been an issue (even though it was not an 07 or 08)

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I'm sure I remember reading it has lockers.. because it's a test mule from Mopar the wiring is different so that just the front can be engaged, or just the rear, and either way in 4-hi or 4-low.
I'll try to find the quote.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven