JK Overland Project: Expeditions West 3.0

TOTJ

Adventurer
Kilby Enterprises has a neat floor option.
floor1.jpg

floor4.jpg

floor3.jpg

Here is a link:
http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/tb-jeep-jk.htm

I know Brad Kilby preaty well and is allways game for a group buy.
Let me know if there is any intrest.

bugnout

Adventurer
My preference is still sleeping out under the stars, but this was surprisingly good for the mixed weather we had. I digg it, and thought some others would like to see how it was set up.

In fact, I digg it enough, that I am going to have Mario make me a custom top for the drawer that will be wider and longer, and included a hinged, flip up head section - nice! :box:

What are you doing for ventilation in the JK while you sleep or are you just cracking the windows. I guess you don't have to worry too much about mosquito's in the desert.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Do you have any showing where it attaches to the body? Or just that one? Some pictures I can see where it kind of mounts in the rear.....some other pictures you can see like the one you just posted.....

I am just trying to piece all these together so I can determine how to make mine.

Later!!
Sorry, that's the only photo I have online, I might have more in my archives, but I'm not sure when I will have the chance to retrieve and process them for web. Earlier in this thread I posted a few more photos of the roof rack attachment points under the hardtop, and that's really about all I have, except for this SEMA shot last year:

SEMA-2009-21.jpg

kenallwine

Adventurer
I am still wondering about the wheels... do they or don't they have spacers? That is on the white G.C. spare wheels. That is the wheel arangement I am currently planning.

fxk142

Observer
I think they were either 1" or 1.5" spacers. I am planning a similar setup as well. What's the width on those KM2s? 12.5"?

kenallwine

Adventurer
I think they were either 1" or 1.5" spacers. I am planning a similar setup as well. What's the width on those KM2s? 12.5"?

I was looking on goodyear's website yesterday and for a 35" tire, they only show a 12.5". I always thought that was to wide for a 7.5" wide wheel. However, I would like this confirmed.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: The 7.5" wide wheel will work for a 12.5" tire, but

All mfg state that 8" is minimum width wheel--

The narrower wheel will, cause an excess wear pattern and more instability in cornering, especially at lower air pressures and probable bead loss on air down- !!

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

kenallwine

Adventurer
:sombrero: The 7.5" wide wheel will work for a 12.5" tire, but

All mfg state that 8" is minimum width wheel--

The narrower wheel will, cause an excess wear pattern and more instability in cornering, especially at lower air pressures and probable bead loss on air down- !!

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

hmm...then how could they be running the KM2 tire? They are obviously airing down...

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Beats me !!

hmm...then how could they be running the KM2 tire? They are obviously airing down...

:costumed-smiley-007:bike_rider: JIMBO

Sorry, I was busy and that was a quick answer, but true

You could run a 12.5" tire on a 6" wheel, the actual optimum width of the wheel is exactly as wide, as the CONTACT PATCH--good luck, thats why the tire mfg BFG.Goodyear, Firestone, etc, all give 8" as the minimum RECOMMENDED WIDTH

I run Hankooks and if I went by the contact patch, I should have 9½" tires, of course I don't cause I change the air pressure all the time --

It's all relative !!sorry about the quickee !!

Last edited:

mmccurdy

Adventurer
I was looking on goodyear's website yesterday and for a 35" tire, they only show a 12.5". I always thought that was to wide for a 7.5" wide wheel. However, I would like this confirmed.

I'm not 100% sure about JIMBO's comments about the optimal rim width being the same as the contact patch -- it may be true, but I've never heard it, and I'm not even sure how you would derive "contact patch width" vs. overall section width as reported by the tire specs.

A couple real-world data points for you:

I ran 13.5" wide Toyo M/T's on 8" rims (vs. 8.5" mfg. recommendation) and got 55k+ miles out of them. No stability issues whatsoever. I would regularly air down to anywhere from 6-14 psi depending on terrain with no problems. I never rolled a bead due to this. If anything, I would think a narrower-than-spec'd rim would increase pressure on the beads tending to keep them seated.

I now run 12.5" Goodyears on the same 8" rims w/ no issues so far (but less than 5k miles on this set).

My candid impression is that if you're within an inch or so of the rim width spec, there is no way you'll notice the difference for all practical purposes.

I'm not clear if you're thinking BFG's or Goodyears -- they're both excellent tires -- I say run the combo you want (12.5" on 7.5" rim) and you should be just fine.

I just realized this is the JK Overland thread, so we're well and truly off topic here. Hijack off....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven