JK Overland Project: Expeditions West 3.0

Scott Brady

Founder
Hi Scott

How doe's that JK handle that RTT?
Thinking of putting one on my unlimited
thanks

I am probably not the best one to ask that question, simply because I am so biased against heavy roof loads. For all but the most technical terrain, the RTT is fine. In the 3.5+ stuff, I find it unacceptable. And not at all from the camber stability perspective, but the weight distribution perspective.

The V6 on the JK is light weight and positioned far back in the engine compartment. With the weight of the RTT high and far back on the vehicle, it leads to instability when climbing and a lightly loaded front axle, which greatly affect climbing performance, ledges in particular.

On the road and nearly all general exploration, the RTT is fine up there.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I am probably not the best one to ask that question, simply because I am so biased against heavy roof loads. For all but the most technical terrain, the RTT is fine. In the 3.5+ stuff, I find it unacceptable. And not at all from the camber stability perspective, but the weight distribution perspective.

The V6 on the JK is light weight and positioned far back in the engine compartment. With the weight of the RTT high and far back on the vehicle, it leads to instability when climbing and a lightly loaded front axle, which greatly affect climbing performance, ledges in particular.

On the road and nearly all general exploration, the RTT is fine up there.
Have any wheelie videos? :Wow1:
I've had the front wheels in the air on hillclimbs without a RTT; I could see it being problematic in the nastier bits.

XXXpedition

Explorer
always depends on what you want and need.
i know i have to live with a certain compromise. on a 6-months trip i need the addl- space of a roofrack, so there's going to be weight on top either way...

on my XJ people made fun of me and the weight on my roof. i was always aware of the problem... nevertheless have i done some pretty nasty trails in my XJ on a long trip and rarely had issues with it.

(first time i rolled was due to the vehicles capability, second due to operator error)

this said, i doubt that anybody would max out the top-heaviness on an expedition - at least i have not seen it...

besides, getting a tire wide into the air does depend a lot on the terrain and line as well :)))))
IMG_4441.jpg

that had nothing to do with the weight on the roof...

JeepinJon

Observer
I know I am still bugging Dave at AEV to get some of those corners. I have a few scratches to cover up the my current AEV corners don't quite get. Also the rail would be nice as rub rails.

Scott Brady

Founder
Alternate Sleeping

Not much to report right now of the JK, except that my appreciation for it has moved beyond respect to a little itty bit of love. I am trying to not get too attached. . .

attachment.php

One of the recent projects was testing interior sleeping options. As you all know, I would sacrifice a little comfort for performance (which is why you buy a Jeep, not a camper), so I usually end up sleeping in a ground tent or just on the ground. However, I wanted to try a little high-speed option - sleeping inside.

I have a 5' long AT drawer, which is 12" tall. The drawer hight is fine, but the flat floor installed in the JK robs about 4 more inches. If it was my own buildup, I would delete the flat floor and just mount the drawer to the vehicle, gaining more headroom for ingress/egress and moving about. You still wouldn't be able to sit up.
attachment.php

Over the drawer, I am using my Nemo pads
attachment.php

I have a Nemo Cosmo with Pillowtop on order, which will make it a one-pad operation. The particularly cool part is that I can just keep the bed set-up, with no tear-down in the morning - high speed.

For me to fit (6'1"), I need to tilt and slide the drivers seat all the way forward, and then lay my kitchen kit (pelican) down and add something else on top. For this trip I used my garment bag, which was just about right.
attachment.php

Yes, it is cramped, but I have lived out of a bivvy tent for months - it is all perspective :D. However, it is very comfortable once in the bag. I enter/exit through the DS passenger door and then do a bizarre modified barrel roll twist to get my legs pointed towards the back. By night two, I was good at it, even with a midnight pee after too much Malbec (thanks Dave).
attachment.php

attachment.php

My preference is still sleeping out under the stars, but this was surprisingly good for the mixed weather we had. I digg it, and thought some others would like to see how it was set up.

In fact, I digg it enough, that I am going to have Mario make me a custom top for the drawer that will be wider and longer, and included a hinged, flip up head section - nice! :box:

Attachments

• interior_sleeping_5.jpg
    interior_sleeping_5.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 2,207
  • interior_sleeping_4.jpg
    interior_sleeping_4.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 2,181
  • interior_sleeping_3.jpg
    interior_sleeping_3.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 2,189
  • interior_sleeping_2.jpg
    interior_sleeping_2.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 2,688
  • interior_sleeping_1.jpg
    interior_sleeping_1.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 2,813
  • Jeep_OVJK (1).jpg
    Jeep_OVJK (1).jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 4,059

Thegeneral

Did I miss something? If I did, I apologize. But how is that floor installed / made? I am looking to do the same thing actually.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
This jeep was originally build by Mopar Underground if I remember correctly. The floor is basically just plywood with bedliner on it. Maybe Scott can post some pictures of the attachment points....

Thegeneral

That would be ideal!! I am looking to finish up my jeep, with a custom floor like that. I also just ordered the AT Flippac for the jeep.

Any way, Scott, hope you have pics of the mount points of that floor!!:coffee:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
This jeep was originally build by Mopar Underground if I remember correctly. The floor is basically just plywood with bedliner on it. Maybe Scott can post some pictures of the attachment points....

I think I have a photo of that from OEX09...yes:
523251091_BDR2f-XL.jpg

kenallwine

Adventurer
Has there been a definitive answer on the wheels/backspacing/spacer question yet? I plan to get the Mopar Steelies with the narrow 35's. I need an absolute on the spacers or not.

Thegeneral

I think I have a photo of that from OEX09...yes:
523251091_BDR2f-XL.jpg

Do you have any showing where it attaches to the body? Or just that one? Some pictures I can see where it kind of mounts in the rear.....some other pictures you can see like the one you just posted.....

I am just trying to piece all these together so I can determine how to make mine.

Later!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven