JK Overland Project: Expeditions West 3.0

Way Cool

I saw the article on that jeep in one of the 4wheel drive mags. It is the inspiration for me to keep my jeep and sell the tacoma. Do You know where the rear quarter panel guards came from?

another thought

I see that AT ? is coming out with a sort of flip pac for that jeep ? What about throwing that on the back. I saw the article on this site I think overland journal? That is what I want!!

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
The rear quarter guards are an AEV piece. The rails allow walking along the side for roof rack access.
Awesome. I like that idea having both a rack and a small stepping stool that serves that purpose it'd be nice to have something like that on my 4Runner...

Question Scott: Is there only ONE of these rigs??? Is thaty the same one that was in Petersens a year or two back???

I found it funny @ the time, reading them say " you could even sleep in the back...if you're not tall..." or something... It made me laugh cause a 4dr Wrangler is far larger then some rigs we all sleep in on a fairly regular basis eh. Hell, compared to a TJ that's like a full-sized truck back there ;)

Cheers

Dave

mikeg1713

Adventurer
I noticed no mention of spacers in the specs of the build. Given those are mopar rims, do they have more backspacing than the stock Jeep rims? If not, do you not have rubbing issues with your 35's?

Hello. New to this page but not to Jeeps. I'm building a 2010 white JK to be close to this Overland Jeep here. The wheels are the same 2" (or so) back spacing as stock alloys, if they're truly WK spare steels. I'm currently using a 2" spidertrax spacer on my Rubi wheels and tires. I'm running a 2" BDS spring lift and the rest is a bit different. If this JK Overland doesn't have spacers then I'd say the 35's he is running are skinnys. I could be wrong but from the looks of it they're not 12.50s. It's bad ju-ju to run 12.50s on 7.5 wheels. I would think 12.50s would be too wide for what use these Jeeps/trucks are used for here on this site. I at least would go thinner than 12.5. I will not run wider than 10.5s on my project as it is mostly a DD and will be my tow rig for my 1945 Willys. Just my 2cents.

mikeg1713

Adventurer
I've always been told and measured for myself that stock is 2 or 2 1/2 inches. 47.3mm is exactly 1.8622047 inches or as far as I'm conserened 2"s. I'll measure a WK alloy and spare if I can get away from my desk tomorrow. I'll let you know asap.

Petro

Adventurer
that would be about the same as stock, but from what I've heard and seen on other forums, you need about 4.25" of backspacing to run 35's on a JK without rubbing, or you would need spacers.

mikeg1713

Adventurer
i had a chance to get under a wk today. the stock back spacing on the spare steel wheel is the same as on the alloy's on both larado or limited. 2"s seems to be it.

yes you are correct that you need 4"-4".5 of back spacing for 35's on a jk if you're running 12.5's. if your doing skinnys you could get away with much less. as far as i know, ( i could be wrong) aev had a lot to do with this jeep. unless the builder/designer of the jk overland tells us for sure who knows if they changed the wheels in some way. please correct me if i've missed anything stating otherwise in the thread.
i have a friend running 34x9.50 super swamper tsl's on a 1952 m38 using cj5 15x7 steel wheels. he has no wheel spacers on the orig dana 44 axles. so it can be done.

gpwpat

Adventurer
From the origional build spec in an article in 4wd and sport utility this jeep used a 2" spacer with the mopar steel wheel. This is the same thing you need to do if you mount 35" tires on the stock rubicon wheels. from what i have come up with.

The Jeep in question is now running AEV savegre wheels from pictures in the recent Overland Journal and the TV show.

Personally I liked the looks of the Mopar overland jk with the mopar wheels. Now it just looks like any and every AEV jk out there. Don't get me wrong I love aev products. I have almost all of them on my jk. Just can afford wheels, lift and tires right now.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Am I reading you right that with larger tires on a Jeep you want MORE backspacing? That doesn't make sense, you would want less or am I missing something?

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
It is my understanding that the Overland JK was using 1.5" spacers with the Mopar wheels. The offset for these wheels is 47.3mm. The AEV wheels now mounted have an 10mm offset. This is a difference of 37.3mm or 1.46". So a 1.5" spacer on the Mopar wheels put the tires in the exact same place as the current AEV wheels. This also matches the width of the JK wheels spacers made by Spidertrax which is far and away the most common spacer in use and arguably one of the best. I think AEV might also sell a spacer of this width if you ask them for it. Whether it is of their own make or they source it from another vendor I cannot say.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
Am I reading you right that with larger tires on a Jeep you want MORE backspacing? That doesn't make sense, you would want less or am I missing something?

Yes you want less back spacing to accommodate larger tires which also generally corresponds to less offset. The confusing thing about back spacing is that it is interrelated to rim width. For example you have two rims both with 1" offset. One rim is 8" wide and one is 10" wide. Even though the offset matches the 8" rim will have 1" less back spacing than the 10" rim. But both rims would put the tires in the same place under the vehicle because the offset is the same. Offset is the measured distance between the mounting face and the centerline of the rim so rim width does not effect it. Backspacing is the measured distance from from the mounting face to the back edge of the rim (actually the back edge of the tire seat) but most people measure to the actual back edge of the rim. If anyone feels I have described this incorrectly please say so. This can be a really confusing topic.

Of course I am diverging from the original question. The Overland JK used to have 1.5" spacers IMHO.

mmccurdy

Adventurer
Hi Scott

How doe's that JK handle that RTT?
Thinking of putting one on my unlimited
thanks

I am not Scott, but I have an ARB Simpson III RTT on my JK Unlimited, and I find that reports of negative effects due to higher center of gravity are somewhat exaggerated. I've run lots of off-camber stuff with the tent fitted, and yes, you can tell it's up there. But in my opinion overall capability is not impacted in any appreciable way.

The Eezi-Awn is even a little lighter than the ARB per the published specs, so I would imagine it might do even better still.

Another thing to consider is the mounting point. The rollcage-mounted ARB rack is very nice for sure, but AFAIK not widely available. I've got mine up on a Gobi rack, and it does very well for me while retaining the ability to run the soft top.

Just my opinion on this stuff, but I've run this setup thousands of miles now, so hopefully it's helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven