JK Overland Project: Expeditions West 3.0

mmccurdy

Adventurer
either of you guys who've been in contact with ssmfg heard anything about pricing?

Just checked the site right now, and it's sort of live and claiming to accept pre-orders for shipping "late February," but it seems like that part is not really done. I did not receive any info on pricing, and there is none on the site.

In terms of new info, there is one pic of the under-hood box installed with a Hemi, and pretty much the same description offered by ssmfg earlier in this thread.

The site also seems to confirm that the functions of the first two switches are "pre-determined," and seems to imply that this is one integrated system (i.e. no option to buy the dash panel without the underhood box).

It's an interesting design choice to lock in some aspects of the functionality inherently by design (functions of two entire switches are dedicated to winch and air compressor, full stop), but then provide very nice and innovative flexibility in other aspects of the system (such as the rotary dial to choose power state and even accept "external inputs" to tie in to vehicle functions).

I guess it works for their target customers, but unfortunately I can't see it fitting in to my system. I may steal their switch location for my own homebrew solution, though I will not be able to match the aesthetics of their offering. Bummer.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
It's an interesting design choice to lock in some aspects of the functionality inherently by design (functions of two entire switches are dedicated to winch and air compressor, full stop), but then provide very nice and innovative flexibility in other aspects of the system (such as the rotary dial to choose power state and even accept "external inputs" to tie in to vehicle functions).

Based on the latest info on the SS MFG web site you can easily use the "air compressor" switch for other accessories if you so desire. The "winch" switch however really is limited to only a winch given the momentary function and secondary safety switch.

TheMike

Adventurer
Just FYI: They are working on their site as I type this. Be patient as it should be back up today.

Mike

mmccurdy

Adventurer
Just FYI: They are working on their site as I type this. Be patient as it should be back up today.

Mike

A week on, and the site is still down... however, given the additional information from the expanded site when it was actually up, I'd say this thing is back on my list. I need a momentary switch anyway, so hopefully I can somehow use the first switch for that and the others for accessories of my choosing.

TheMike, since you seem to have a bit of an in with them, what do you think is a realistic ship date? Is there product flowing from the mfg. as opposed to the SL prototype?

I need to have a switch solution in place by April, but so far the ssmfg promise has been the typical "just two more weeks" I've seen time and again from new products or manufacturers, only to have their stuff ship six months later.

It really seems like this thing deserves its own thread, since this is a pretty small piece of the JK Overland pie, but I think ssmfg should be the one to start it. Again, sorry for the hijack.

TheMike

Adventurer
...TheMike, since you seem to have a bit of an in with them, what do you think is a realistic ship date?...

Woops! Sorry about taking so long.

The switches should be ready to ship late April. Snags with suppliers and such keeps pushing things back. I chat with them about once a week since this is a must have for me and I have lots of things to wire up and I don't want to do it twice (once before the switch is available and then again after).

And the lights too:

OVJK_Speed_Channel_.jpg

They are shipping now. The first batch went out to distributers last week. You can get them directly from Rigid Industries but they prefer you go through one of their distributers.

Still $200 a pair. You can get them either flood or spot. Singles or doubles.

My set is in the mail and I plan to install next week. I'll post another thread on their install and performance (and link here) when it's done. I plan to do the same as the Expo rig but I did flood beam for both.

Mike

tacomadave

Adventurer
I've been searching high and low for canvas seat covers for my JK, I noticed you say this has Mopar canvas seat covers, but I can't find anything other than neoprene style Mopar covers. Do you know if these are custom? or if i'm just not searching the right places.

I found a couple places in Australia that have what im looking for. but was hoping to get something a little closer.

Thanks

mtntrekker

Observer
Seat Covers

I saw this vehicle at the OXEPO the other weekend and the seat covers tag stated Escape Gear. I checked out the site and they are made in Australia and sold in England. Could not find a distributor in the US.
Maybe expedition west can help us out on how to obtain them?
Thanks

Dale

Petro

Adventurer
I noticed no mention of spacers in the specs of the build. Given those are mopar rims, do they have more backspacing than the stock Jeep rims? If not, do you not have rubbing issues with your 35's?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven