JKU Tire Opinions?

Fishrising

Observer
I went through the same thing you are going though several months ago. Looked at every tire on your list and then some. I went with the BFG KO2s in 34 x 10.5. They are far better than the previous generation on all surfaces IMO (which I had on my previous Jeep in 285/70/17) and served me well in Moab this year. Love them. I think I paid $280 each at Discount Tire. I get the same MPG as I did with the stock tires and they are way more quite.

You might check this out, a good review of the tires in this size (great blog too)

http://theroadchoseme.com/tire-selection-bfgoodrich-ko2-all-terrain

What lift is on your rig? Sorry on tapatalk, so if it's in your signature, my apologies, I'll see it when I get on a real computer...

Fishrising

Observer
Who has real world heights of both the 255/80/17 St maxx and the 34x10.5r17 KO2?

Here is my real world OEM 255/75/17 KMs at barely 30.25", with about 28k miles on them (and hard top currently on):

7735fd038f2ef8b6e2de5eeb1d9533c4.jpg

Last edited:

HRPINDC

Adventurer
You can get the K02s in 265 which are C rated. These are the tires that come stock on the Black Bear edition Wrangler. I went 275 which is E rated. I don't have any issues with the ride, but they are heavier. My gas mileage suffered a bit and I noticed the added weight until I got used to it.

I had these through one of the worst winters DC's had in a while, including two wicked ice storms. I drove home through the worst of these ice storms, and while cars were spinning out all over and being abandoned on hills, my Jeep with K02s never even broke traction. It's the only reason it didn't take me longer than 3-1/2 hours to get home. I too was torn between these and the Duratracs, but chose these because of the sidewall issues. I already had a large screw in one tire near the sidewall and it didn't puncture.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these tires.

Jakes01234

Explorer
Real world height when I first put on the 255/80 st Maxx was 32.5 as best as my eye and a tape measure could tell. Soft top, no additional weight inside and 38psi
190a34007874fad2a9474b10a43a8ad9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TheDriver

Observer
I've been running 33"x10.5 15 Duratracs on a 2009 JKUR with no lift for about 4 years now and they have been great. From Montana ice & snow to heavy wet Sierra cement they have been great winter tires. They have performed well on sand, gravel, decomposed granite / deep silt, in water and aired down on the rocks of the Rubicon. The one area they have done poorly at is gumbo/clay mud. I've put many many thousands of highway miles on them loaded down for camping and well as run them with a basically empty jeep (no rear seat) and I like them on the road too. I had BFG AT's on the stock 17s before and I find these provide a much nicer ride - maybe the extra sidewall contributes to this. I'm due for a new set before this winter and I'm thinking of getting them studded this time :)

jeep_tires.jpg

Last edited:

Johnyy

I agree that snowy highway travel needs real winter tires because it can help to drive fast without taking more time.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
What do you guys think of the ST Maxx 255s in the snow? Both snowy highway travel and off-road snow?
I really liked the Maxx ---- did better in snow than the Goodyear MTR/K, Cooper S/T, or Cooper STT. Toyo AT2 Xtreme did slightly better in snow than the Maxx ----- but that was on my Power Wagon, not JK, and that could have A LOT to do with it...

Callahan

Who has real world heights of both the 255/80/17 St maxx and the 34x10.5r17 KO2?

Here is my real world OEM 255/75/17 KMs at barely 30.25", with about 28k miles on them (and hard top currently on):

7735fd038f2ef8b6e2de5eeb1d9533c4.jpg

I believe they are just slightly taller and wider than the 255/80/17s. Mine were about 32 7/16s" at the shoulder, and I guess closer to 33" at the tallest point of the crown of the tire at 35 psi. I was concerned that the wouldnt be as tall as I wanted but they look pretty darn good imo. I have a friend whose 35s look barely taller (although a lot wider)

Oh, here is a great long term review of them:

http://expeditionportal.com/nmbrs-long-term-bfgoodrich-ko2-review-15000-mile-report/

Attachments

• BFG KO2 34s.jpg
    BFG KO2 34s.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 20

Fishrising

Observer
Thank you all! I appreciate all the feedback and comments...but I hate decisions...

Think I've narrowed it down to:

BFG KO2s in 34x10.5r17 or the ST MAXX in 255/80r17

Main reason I am down to these two from my original list, besides the many positive comments, is the per tire weight. KO2 = ~55lbs and the ST MAXX = ~52lbs from what I have gathered. The other tires I was looking at all seem to be over 60lbs. Stock KMs are 47lbs.

Blue Baby Sound

A guy with a Jeep
In my quest for tires a few months ago I also included tire weight on my spreadsheet. Went with the Duratracs for mainly that reason. The lighter weight kept us within spec for the factory tire carrier as well as less stress on suspension components. Cooper STT pro and Duratrac were our final 2 choices

6 months and 10k into them with no complaints.

EDIT: just saw your post on weight, sorry :)

Jakes01234

Explorer
I paid right around $200 a piece mounted and balanced for the StMaxx's. I could not find a good deal on the bfgs and the extra "inch" just was not worth it to me. This is my third set of cooper tires and have had great luck with all of them.

Fishrising

Observer
In my quest for tires a few months ago I also included tire weight on my spreadsheet. Went with the Duratracs for mainly that reason. The lighter weight kept us within spec for the factory tire carrier as well as less stress on suspension components. Cooper STT pro and Duratrac were our final 2 choices

6 months and 10k into them with no complaints.

EDIT: just saw your post on weight, sorry :)

Yeah, the duratracs meet the weight, and they may sneak back into my final list...

Fishrising

Observer
So real world...

Stock KMs 255/75/17 = ~30.25"
BFG KO2s 34x10.5r17 = ~32.44"
ST MAXXs 255/80/17 = ~32.50"
GY DURATRACs 285/70/17 = ????"

Anyone have real life height of Duratracs in 285/70/17? In the meantime, I'll search this forum and some jeep forums...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater