Just bought a 96 Montero SR...joining the crowd

scrubber3

Not really here
Good looking rig you have there. I have my CB in just about the same spot, just down horizontally top flush with center console.

Last edited:

mike5

Adventurer
There were a few reasons why I bought this particular Montero. I did look for a few months and what I found was a lot of crap out there that either looks good on paper or pictures...but is different up close. Specifically, what I liked about this example:

- CA car
- NO rust
- NO accidents
- Original paint
- Nothing missing or broken

Looking at the outside/inside/underneath you could see it had not been abused. As a matter of fact, it was owned by a woman Dr. So I wasn't too concerned with the history. Plus, at this price point, finding service records on any car is nearly impossible.

All the above, coupled with the asking price, made me pull the trigger. Obviously it has cost me a pretty penny since, but if this is the end of it and I have no more issues; then I can live with that as I want to get some use out of it.

SOFpirate

Adventurer
Well luckily for you it's all fixed up now. So now you can wheel it and beat the $#!T out of it!

That truck is going to last longer than you can.

And to be honest, that Bronco has no chance!

mike5

Adventurer
Exactly SOF...this is meant for camping/ski trips/off roading or overlanding. I hope to put it to these uses.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
BTW, do you still have the old intake? Am hoping to figure out a way to replace those plastic bushings that wear out with something more reliable but I need an intake to work with.

TIA:ylsmoke:

mike5

Adventurer
I do have the old plenum. I kept it in the hops of finding a fix. The fix has to address the shaft as well as the front where the vacuum leaks always occur.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Well, I was thinking of buying a used one from a salvage yard (range upwards of $35 + shipping) but let me know if you want someone to take it off your hands. :)

Alternatively if you're gonna try and fix it as well, have at it.:ylsmoke:

I was gonna get a machinist to machine the plastic pieces out of metal so they no longer wear out but I needed the spare manifold since my 96 is a daily driver.

mike5

Adventurer
As long as it helps the community and it's for finding an alternative to spending $400 on a new one...you can have it. If you're in SoCal sometime let me know and I'll meet with you and give it to you.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
As long as it helps the community and it's for finding an alternative to spending $400 on a new one...you can have it. If you're in SoCal sometime let me know and I'll meet with you and give it to you.

I really appreciate that. I'll let you know when I'm gonna be down there. Gonna check w/ family & friends down south and see what their schedules look like. Where in SoCal are you? I have friends & family all over (LA, Azusa, Huntington Beach, San Diego, etc.).

It will also give me a chance to catch up with a buddy who used to work in Mitsubishi's modelling department and was a key member of the team who created the most recent iteration of the Eclipse before his entire team was laid off.:Wow1: He now works for GM's advanced design group there in SoCal.:drool:

mike5

Adventurer
So after having the car back for a couple of days I can definitely tell that the engine is running better and smoother. There is more power as well. I do have one question though based on an observation:

When idling, the needle is roughly on 750RPM. But I do notice a very low frequency vibration...as in the idle is not perfect and some slight vibration is coming through. Something that you would feel touching the car since there is this very slight vibration. Looking at the RPM gauge, I notice it move up and down around 1 mm each way...an indication that there is a slight RPM change. Whether the RPM moves and causes the vibration or something else changes causing both the vibration and RPM change I don't know. What I wonder from others who have Monteros with the 3.5 is whether this is normal or not. Given the age and era of the car, I don't know if this is normal. I know it is not a misfire or a really bad idle...just a variation at idle. Any feedback from other owners would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to think there is a problem if there isn't one!

Thanks!
Mike

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Good question on the oscillating idle. Is the ac on when this is happening? ISC/iac?

BTW, I'm coordinating with friends down south for a trip there in the next few of weeks. It will most likely be a weekend after the 10th (friend and family birthdays prior to that). What weekend works best for you? PM me if you prefer on that.

mike5

Adventurer
Funny enough I looked through some of my posts here and I complained about the same issue a while back. Since then so much has changed...maybe its normal...who knows. When it has happened to AC has not been on....so not sure what happens with the AC on. I know a couple of months ago I tested resistance on the IAC and it was within spec...so that's probably not it.

As far as I know my weekends are pretty open so I don't have a specific one to pick. I'll leave it to you. As the time approaches; give a one or two week heads up and that should be fine.

I'd definitely be down for a little trail action if you have time. I'm sure we can get a few folks from around here together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC