Just bought a 96 Montero SR...joining the crowd

mike5

Adventurer
I had a chance this morning to weigh the car and see exactly what we have here. The weight worked out to roughly 4670 lbs. This does not include me. Note that the 3rd row is removed, I'm running taller/wider tires than stock (so more mass), and about 2/3 fuel in the tank. For its era that is some weight for sure but we're talking about a SUV with a frame. If I'm not mistaken, today's Range Rovers weigh closer to 5500 lbs.

Mike

mike5

Adventurer
I've had a few opportunities to fill up the car and drive. As a result, I have some MPG numbers to share. These numbers are basically with just the driver and maybe 25lbs worth of items...nothing crazy.

- From Los Angeles to Big Bear, 110 miles, all freeway, uphill in the mountains, 65 to 70MPH on the freeway portion. 14 MPG
- From Big Bear to Los Angeles, plus one day of commuting (40 miles in LA stop/go traffic), downhill from Big Bear, 65 to 70MPH on Freeway. 19.6 MPG
- From Los Angeles to Mojave, basically all uphill on the 14, 65MPH in a convoy, 17.8 MPG

So from a highway driving perspective, I think the numbers are pretty good which tells me the engine is in tune and running well.

The US Dept of Energy shows the car at 13 city, 17 highway, with 14 combined.

The one disparity between Dept of Energy testing and my driving is they use premium fuel while I use 89. At some point I'll experiment with 91 to see if there are fuel advantages or performance differences.

mike5

Adventurer
I'm running 32x11.5 I believe. I have not adjusted for size. But I believe if I adjust, the distances would be more with the same gas usage, so MPG would actually be higher. Larger diameter means less revolutions, so the indicated miles covered is actually less than actual.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I'm running 32x11.5 I believe. I have not adjusted for size. But I believe if I adjust, the distances would be more with the same gas usage, so MPG would actually be higher. Larger diameter means less revolutions, so the indicated miles covered is actually less than actual.

That's correct. IIRC the stock tire size will either be 235/75R15 (aka 28.9") or 30" tires. That means you need to increase the mileage by either 10% (if they were originally 29's) or 6.6% (if they were originally 30's).

To help err on the conservative size (as far as getting a speeding ticket is concerned) I'd use 10%.

mike5

Adventurer
Little update: I replaced the windshield wiper blades yesterday. The units I put on are Bosch MicroEdge blades. Again, I got these from www.bmaparts.com for $9 each...and they had it for me on the same day. I believe the size is 19" for both. And it is not just the blade, but basically the whole assembly minus the arm. The units are made in Belgium. It took a few minutes to put them on. They slide in (no need for the provided adapter) and snap into place. I tried them out last night and they work great. Great product at a great price. A

scrubber3

Not really here
Little update: I replaced the windshield wiper blades yesterday. The units I put on are Bosch MicroEdge blades. Again, I got these from www.bmaparts.com for $9 each...and they had it for me on the same day. I believe the size is 19" for both. And it is not just the blade, but basically the whole assembly minus the arm. The units are made in Belgium. It took a few minutes to put them on. They slide in (no need for the provided adapter) and snap into place. I tried them out last night and they work great. Great product at a great price. A

That last sentence sounded like one of my feedbacks I leave on Ebay.

I have these wipers myself and they work great. Far superior to the old style.

mike5

Adventurer
It's been a while since I've updated, but I do have a couple of updates. Over the last month I've taken my car to two amazing places:

1. Coyote Flat in the Sierras (with one other car)
2. Swansea-Cerra Gordo with a local club (bunch of fixed up Jeeps)

In neither instance were we doing any major crawling or overcoming of big obstacles (which a Montero is not made for). But it was some serious wheeling. Both experiences showed me how capable the Montero is, even with ok tires. You might get a little slip or need the locker if you want to avoid using momentum in a places you're not familiar, but this thing is good. I even slept in it on one of the trips as the seats fold relatively flat.

I've learned that good AT tires (32 or 33 with 11.5 width), torsion bar crank, a CB, and a truck in good condition are sufficient to get it done.

Here are some pictures to enjoy:

Coyote Flat
Swansea

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nice Mike! Yeah, it's amazing how capable the rig is straight out of the box. Add a few upgrades like bigger tires and you're set for most trails except the most severe ones. Once you're ready to take those on simply go to 33's, rocker panel armor, and coil spring spacers in back (if necessary) and with careful driving and good spotting you should be fine.

mike5

Adventurer
Coyote is outside of Bishop CA, west of it basically in the Sierras. Swansea is east of Lone Pine, CA (which is 40 miles south of Bishop). That whole area, on either side of the 395 has some trails to explore. We should be making a trip out there..

I think some aux lighting coupled with sliders and more aggressive treaded tires would have me all set. Maybe a basket on top. If I could find a aftermarket bumper for the rear that is smaller and is a good base to built on...I'd be very happy with that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC