Just purchased a Military trailer to build a family hauler

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Itching to get back to work on the trailers, But Mother Nature has other plans.
Without a garage to work in all I can do is look out the window and dream about the future mods
I have to wait until April to start.

Attachments

• DSC08104.JPG
    DSC08104.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 65

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Change of plans for the RTT for the model I need to sleep 4 it would cost close to $2000.00
I am just too damn cheap to spend that kind of money. I am going with a 7' by 7' expanded metal basket.
I priced it out at work and for the angle and flat expanded metal it will cost me $120.00.........and I have a 7 x 7 dome tent
to mount on top.

The steel will be shipped on the next shop order and I will post when I start to weld it up.

The picture below is what I have in mind.

Attachments

• lkjnojn.jpg
    lkjnojn.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 945

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Poor mans roof top tent.

I have always wanted a RTT but my financial advisor says it is low on the list.
and I don't use credit " Dave Ramsey " so I have to save to purchase one.
So as I wait I decided to build a 7' by 7' expanded steel deck to mount on the rack on my 101A2.

1 1/2" angle iron with mitre cut corners and two sheets of expanded flat metal and I am off to a good start.
I ordered he steel from work and got it last week $120.00 for it all. I had one of our welders zip it together after everything was cut to size.

I still have end braces and corner supports to make but I stood on it and it is solid.
Once everything is welded to the Tee frames it will strengthen it more.

Gloss black paint and several loops to tie my 7 x 7 dome tent down and I will be set!

Attachments

• trailer deck 001.JPG
    trailer deck 001.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 89
  • trailer deck 002.JPG
    trailer deck 002.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 99
  • trailer deck 003.JPG
    trailer deck 003.JPG
    337.5 KB · Views: 91
  • trailer deck 004.JPG
    trailer deck 004.JPG
    200.1 KB · Views: 85
  • trailer deck 005.JPG
    trailer deck 005.JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 98
This gives me some ideas Mark. I also do not use credit, and I have alot of other mods I want to make. I was thinking of making a folding platform that will hold a regular tent.

Cant wait to see what you come up with.

Robert Walker

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I welded the corner guards and tie downs to the deck painted it and mounted it to the cross bars.
Was going to weld the deck to the rack but I bolted it instead with carriage bolts and large wing nuts
" Black plastic mower handle knobs " They work well and I can remove the deck with two people easily.

I was not sure I would like the tent deck on the trailer after I mounted it up,
but now that it is painted glosss black it looks better and I can remove it when I like.

I test fit the 7 x 7 coleman tent today. It fits well and the fiberglass poles center in the corners and the rain fly hooks
keep the tent from soaring away without the weight of sleeping bags and people to hold it to the deck.

The tent is a Coleman Marlboro promotional item "Marlboro miles" that I bought from ebay.
It was the only 7 x 7 tent in RED I could find I bought two from the seller and combined they were
around $60.00 shipped. One as a back up or I can use one on the ground as a dressing area.

It sure gets some funny looks from people driving by the house.
It is in the front yard / driveway.

Attachments

• trailer deck 2 003.JPG
    trailer deck 2 003.JPG
    356 KB · Views: 92
  • trailer deck 2 004.JPG
    trailer deck 2 004.JPG
    279.3 KB · Views: 78
  • trailer deck 2 005.JPG
    trailer deck 2 005.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 70
  • trailer deck 2 006.JPG
    trailer deck 2 006.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 72
  • trailer deck 2 007.JPG
    trailer deck 2 007.JPG
    226.8 KB · Views: 70

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I have an aluminum extention ladder that I found in the trash.
It ia a short 8 foot extention with plastic end protectors.

I am in the process of cutting it shorter and riviting the caps back with loops I can anchor to the deck
when in use.

I had myself and my girls 8 and 12 in it and it did not move. I need to finish the rear stabilizer and we will be set.

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I'm guessing Mrs. Harley will be at the Marriott waiting for guys to finish camping?

Looking good!:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk