Kiamichi Trail (K-Trail) Adventure: The good, the bad, and the ????

And on top of everything else, Scott went with a Del McCoury song for his facebook video?!

Yeah, you guys gotsta def holler at me next time y'all roll out. :victory:

Dude, you guys gotta let me know next time y'all take a trip like this! Always looking for an excuse to do some drivin' in the woods, break some sheht and piss off rednecks. Looks like you had an exceptionally great day.

Glad you're home safe.

You can't say redneck. That is racist, and this is a PG site.

You can't say redneck. That is racist, and this is a PG site.

I'm from Arkansas, so I'm allowed by birthright.

It's kind of like this: if I spank my kid, then that's cool. After all, it's my kid and there's the whole, "spare the rod, spoil the child" thing going on.

But I freaking dare someone else to lay so much as a finger on her... I freakin' DARE you.

Redneck, redneck, redneck. ;)

dirtysouth

Adventurer
I'm from Arkansas, so I'm allowed by birthright.

It's kind of like this: if I spank my kid, then that's cool. After all, it's my kid and there's the whole, "spare the rod, spoil the child" thing going on.

But I freaking dare someone else to lay so much as a finger on her... I freakin' DARE you.

Redneck, redneck, redneck. ;)

The hippies are going to get you....

theksmith

Explorer
nice trip report.

i learned the hard way about aluminum lift blocks as well. my first 4wd was a dodge dakota and i just wanted a little more room for some more aggressive all-terrains and went with aluminum blocks in the rear... eventually they desentigrated on the trail one day and let the axle twist, breaking the pinion yoke off, destroying a ujoint and messing up the driveshaft some... after being stranded in a po-dunk little town for a week waiting on parts, i learned a lesson!

:smiley_drive:

FullsizeJimmy

Great pictures! We used to go to Honobia, OK every December, but haven't been able to coordinate things for the last two years. We would go explore the Old Nolia Trail, and other old roads around there. The last time we went, we were talking about trying to run the K Trail the next year. Things are really changing in the area we used to run with people leasing hunting ground, and gating off the old trails. Your write up makes me want to get back down there before everything gets closed.

Rovernut

My sons, one nephew and I took a trip this past weekend (2-17-2012) to The Cossatot River, then on to Clayton by way of the K trail. This was our first trip there, and from all the reports and pictures, we expected a easy trail ride. This was true, for the most part, but when we started our descent from the ridge down to Clayton, the hills were so washed out we had to straddle 3' - 5' deep ruts and build rock bridges to cross a couple of them.

We camped near the fire tower after the first day, and it was a great place to camp, overlooking the huge valley to the north. I had to get gas ( I had 1/4 tank) by the time we made the Indian Highway, so we went north to Talihina and filled back up. Good damn thing, cause we were on the trail another 6 hours.

The Range Rover and Cherokee were definitely up to the task, and we only had to winch once, to get the Jeep out of a washout ravine. I also bent my tie rod really badly, but it straightened out with a hand winch. We usually play at the Superlift Park, so we know how to wheel, but it's different when you know you can't turn around and try a different trail, and you know that your ride has to get you through the trail and then a couple of hundred miles back home. We will definitely do this again, as some of our friends now want to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQh6ef10pS0

BrandonS

Observer
Would a stock 02 Disco w/out CDL be able to make this voyage with just tires? Picking one up here in a day or two and this trail has been on my list of want-to-do's for about a year. The vid above makes me think not so much. Is this trail maintained at all during the spring/summer months?

Rovernut, the video of the trail where you are straddling the eroded trail, was that on the main section of the K/Clayton trail? About how far from the fire tower?

Oobray

Adventurer
Would this trail be do-able in a dodge 2500 long bed, 34" BFG A/Ts and no lockers? Im in oklahoma city and I'd love to take the family in the fall. Oh, no winch either.

Would this trail be do-able in a dodge 2500 long bed, 34" BFG A/Ts and no lockers? Im in oklahoma city and I'd love to take the family in the fall. Oh, no winch either.

Judging from that last video, the width of your truck would be adequate for that section. BUT, overall you'll leave more paint on the trail than you'll bring back to OKC. That trail is TIGHT and there has been little to no maintenance in the last few years.

Rovernut

I would not recommend taking that truck on that trail. LWB full size trucks would have a hell of a time making it. Do not go out there with your family and no other vehicles, no matter what you drive. There are parts that will take paint off the sides, parts that will grab steering components, and parts with no trail at all. After seeing other videos, we were prepared to do trail work and tree cutting. We also had a week's worth of food and water in case something broke on the trail and we were stuck awhile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal