Kitchen Kit/Chuck Box

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
i just picked up this thing from REI. still debating if i should keep it. its the same size as my old kitchen tote but now things are organized and easier to access.

79c9ccb4-e863-4fec-8223-d7bcdb73d71d.jpg

5a69199d-500b-443f-a2ca-1ab346f83f2a.jpg

Viggen

Just here...
1200 seems a bit high.... The older ones look sweet!

NO joke. Thats the beauty of buying Mil surplus. You can get it for 1/4 the price of new and they are usually in VERY good condition. Im picking up a couple of Hardigg and Zero Manufacturing Plastics military surplus boxes. One is big enough to store my two Army cots, tent and vestibule, dish washing stand, two fold up chairs and sleeping bags, the other will house my old Coleman stove and the other will be the kitchen box. If I were going to roll heavy and camp for a week or more at a time, an aluminum field desk would be mine. enough room for the stove and such on one side and prep on the other.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
the medical chests have been up for sale here,,, i think the the main problem was weight. at about 74# empty its alot compared to my biggest kitchen box at less than 20#

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
******** to the power of 3.

If you think the field desk or the surgical table are options to go camping, I want to see your rigs -- they must have at least the off-road capcity of an M-35A2. Having intimate experience with both of those items, I can attest that empty they weigh a metric butt-load. Now fill them as they were intended and you better hope you deploy with at least 2 Platoons of your closest friends to haul them out and set them up. Hint - there is a reason why they are surplus - there are so many other OTS or redesigned and engineered (blow-molded replacement field desk) items to replace them. Ask me how I know...

For my built truck with its added armor and accessories I'm decreasing capacity. I don't go out of my way to be miserable and I do try to think of comfort; no "weigh" I'd drag those sea-anchors with me on any trip when there are so many other SUPERIOR options out there that are even water and dust-tight. I don't know about you'all but I'd prefer to limit the number of "kitchen sinks" I drag to the field with me; neither are exactly mobility enhancements either for overland travel.

Better suited as a curio to keep in the garage to show your friends how you used to fill out those DA-534-2A forms back in the "Nam."

Last edited:

overlander

Expedition Leader
So, have you guys ever thought about buying an old military field desk? They come in many different sizes and can be made of aluminum or wood and collapse into a nicely sized box. I thought about something like these but I am putting a table on the back door of the Disco to hold the stove and a larger Hardigg case with some dividers could do the same thing for me but, just to show you guys some cheaper (military surplus) options:
Field medical tables:
!B1TvS3!CWk~$(KGrHqQOKjwE)q1RM7SvBMd-mbK,,!~~_3.JPG

!B1TvVhwBmk~$(KGrHqUOKm4Ew9-L-qpJBMd-mkozg!~~_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Military-Medica...531?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a149be9b

Field Desk:
!BeWn4+gB2k~$(KGrHqEOKkUEryhRc-oWBK82McjHd!~~_3.JPG

!BeWoLIgBWk~$(KGrHqEOKi8Er)VJ4-,FBK82Nr3-mg~~_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/US-MILITARY-ARM...431?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d283e3ab7

Dont' underestimate the size of that army field desk. We use them in my unit, and I had my own in Iraq. I decided against keeping mine for expo/camping after coming back because it was so impractical for my vehicle (and I have a 110). wouldn't fit in the cargo space of a lot of vehicle on this forum.

Mamontof

Explorer
Wow, that's a nice looking unit. I'll be sure to try & find them at the Denver RV show tomorrow.

$1400? Wow - little out of my price range.

That SO HUGE....and so expensive :Wow1:, but what a lovely wood build , so

nice use for fire in fireplace

Meekerfam

Observer
this was the first attempt @ a kit drv for the back of my van.

Attachments

• IMG_0380.JPG
    IMG_0380.JPG
    371.1 KB · Views: 718
  • IMG_0393.JPG
    IMG_0393.JPG
    332.4 KB · Views: 649
  • IMG_0394.JPG
    IMG_0394.JPG
    366.7 KB · Views: 536
  • IMG_0381.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG