LA(and AZ and SD too) ExPo Death Valley Trip

cowboy roscoe

What happened to the Durango.....

Received many request for more details.....

The Durango's front suspension is a coil-over shock and a bypass shock in parallel. The upper mount of these is a a set of 4130 tubes that are welded into the frame.

The frame weld partially fail, which lead to the failure of the shock mount tube when the load was redistributed. The bottom line is that the front passenger side could barely support the vehicle on static level ground. The truck is currently being reworked at the fabricator.

New and photos when it emerges.....

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
cowboy roscoe said:
Received many request for more details.....

The Durango's front suspension is a coil-over shock and a bypass shock in parallel. The upper mount of these is a a set of 4130 tubes that are welded into the frame.

The frame weld partially fail, which lead to the failure of the shock mount tube when the load was redistributed. The bottom line is that the front passenger side could barely support the vehicle on static level ground. The truck is currently being reworked at the fabricator.

New and photos when it emerges.....

Is it the same fabricator or have you moved on to a different one?

Photog

Explorer
Welding chrome-moly is tricky, even when you don't weld it to a mild steel frame. When welding chrome-moly, it needs to be preheated, before welding, and then heat treated, after welding. If this is not done, the weld or the heat affected zone, will crack.

Welding Chro-Mo to mild steel is another ball of worms. The chro-mo is much stronger than the mild steel, so all flex and vibes are transfered to the heat affected zone, at the edge of the weld, where it meets the mild steel. The weld or the mild steel will either fatigue crack or tear from the forces.

Some folks think that thin wall Chro-Mo (< .120") do not need heating procedures; but when your suspension is keeping you safe, at 70mph on the highway, all the little details need to be covered (TIG welding, back purging, pre-heating, heat treating, etc). You own experience proves this.

There is nothiing wrong with well designed mild steel suspension parts, such as shock towers. If you feel a need for Chro-Mo parts, have it designed to be bolted to the frame.

Example:
Semi trucks have Chro-Mo frames. The DOT does not allow any welding to these frames. Everything is attached by bolt or rivit, no welds. It would be OK to weld to the frames; but it is nearly impossible to do the proper heating procedures on truck frames of this size.

You should have the other side of the truck re-done too.

I hope the fabricator isn't currently welding more Chro-Mo to your frame.

Oh, and thanks for the update.:wavey:

Last edited:

Photog

Explorer
MuddyMudskipper said:
Interesting

Might not be so bad, if they just pull back on the Chro-Moly. THe weld quality looked good. Many welders just don't have enough knowledge of metallurgy. Of course, if they are building suspension parts, they really should know exactly what they are doing.!

Fergie

Expedition Leader
For the folks that were on this trip, does anyone have the group photo we took on the top of the rock? It was shortly before we descended into the Striped Butte area.

I'd appreciate it if you could post it, or email me.

Thanks,
Gavin

teotwaki

Excelsior!
when you bumped this thread with the pix request I just had to enjoy the whole thing all over again :victory:

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
Gavin, here you go.

For the folks that were on this trip, does anyone have the group photo we took on the top of the rock? It was shortly before we descended into the Striped Butte area.

I'd appreciate it if you could post it, or email me.

Thanks,
Gavin

Attachments

• IMG_0969.jpg
    IMG_0969.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1026.jpg
    IMG_1026.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 32

Fergie

Expedition Leader
You're welcome Jim! That trip was the beginning of some great friendships, and really showed the quality of people with everyone that helped Tiffany and I, as well as Adam later on...damn good people.

Trevor, thanks for the photo! I hadn't ever seen the photo, and for some reason, it popped into my mind last night....I think I've got a hankering to return to DV soon....maybe even Saline for some soaking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design