Land Cruiser 100 to Jeep Rubicon Unlimited: Capability? Comfort?

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I guess reading my post Its not hard to figure out Im bias but with good reason.:wings:

Considering I just sold you stuff on MUD, I asume you're biased. Ha. Yeah. I'm surprised people aren't figuring out a way to make the cooling system on the JK better. A Heat reduction hood? Seems like a bandaid to a bigger problem. I love the 100's AC and cooling system. My Black and Red German Shepherd appreciates the rear AC also. If it's 70 and sunny, she's hiding in the shade, so spoiled.

The real issue is time. If I can pay $400 a month to not be spending 3 days this past week replacing ball joints and control arms, and be out using the truck and getting 50% better gas mileage...

I wanted an 03+ but needed to find something that costed less than the amount geico gave us for our totalled 100. Also getting a loan for a 10year old vehicle is hard and probably not smart. And we had to get another 100 because I had a ton of vehicle specific mods and parts to swap over.

Money is less or an issue right now and time is more of an issue. I'm coming to terms with the fact that I have no garage to work in (I've done all my mods and maintenance in the street), work 80hrs a week often and sometimes don't even have weekends. But I do have infinite vacation days (within reason). So we kind of need something that doesn't need to be restored constantly.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
I suggest you look at other companies besides AEV. While AEV makes great products, other companies make products that are just as good if not better.

I've looked around. Coming from Land Cruiser world, I'm amazed at how nice the AEV stuff is for the price. Slee sells the best stuff for LAnd Cruiser wagons and everything is way more. For example, a slee rear bumper for a 100 series with a tire carrier and gas can carrier is nearly $2600. The AEV rear bumper is lighter, more finished looking and costs way less.

But I'm also looking at ARB stuff since I've had good experiences with them in my 100.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
" Plus my wife's always wanted a jeep..."

I think we have the answer right here.

Yup, our wedding get away car was a restored FJ40. So we've been compromising. But she also cares about $. And thinks taking a $40,000 truck over rocks seems foolish. She's wanted a wrangler and I've wanted an FJ40 but we can't have 2 trucks and we need 4 doors. So the improved JKU kind of fits the bill.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
$400/ month covers a lot of fuel and minor repairs for the LC... Just to stir the pot a little more.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
$400/ month covers a lot of fuel and minor repairs for the LC... Just to stir the pot a little more.

That's true. And I guess that's the main decision to be made. I'm trying to make sure everything else I assume about the Rubicon is true before making that value call.

There've been a lot of good points made above. And things to consider.

I figure it's more like $300/mo since even getting the base 15mpg in the Jeep would save me a lot of money in gas. Granted, at some point you've probably fixed every wear item in an older truck, but until then, how much is my time worth. It's becoming worth increasingly more in my opinion.

I know the value arguments in favor of keeping the 100 because I made them all when I bought them. On a 1500 mile trip, getting better gas mileage would only save $200 in gas. But knowing that a trip is going to cost you $500+ in gas is enough of an emotional deterrent that you don't take the trips as often as you'd like.

There are a lot of rational arguments to be made in favor of both. But I suspect it's going to come down to my wife and I deciding if we can afford the Jeep. Because emotionally, we'd both rather do this:

2012-Jeep-Wrangler-Unlimited-Rubicon-Photo-Gallery-of.jpg

Than 100s of miles of washboard roads at 60mph:

IMG_5023.JPG

98roamer

Explorer
If time is the issue and you're tired of working on the LC, turn it over to a shop to fix the MPG and age issues. If you both want a run topless in the mountains, then the Rubi is your clear choice. It seems like know want you both want, do you know why you're hesitating?

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I had a nice long response written up here but lost it...

In short, I've owned both, a 100 and JKU. Everyday, I regret selling my 100. The JK was fun but lost its novelty pretty quickly. IMO, the JK felt like a tin can whereas the 100 felt like a tank. Comfort doesn't compare between the two. It's a decision that only you and your wife can make and I think you know what you're gonna do.

I like the Rubicons a lot...amazing capabilities and awesome looks. BUT $40k+ is a lotta scratch for a Jeep.

Maybe buy a used T4R trail ($30k-ish) for comfort, overland travel, economy and reliability....and buy an old CJ ($4k-ish) for the Jeep fever. Best of both worlds...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I hear you. I drive an older Dodge diesel for work, and to carry my camper. I am torn. If I had the money laying around for a new one, could I justify it? Between the difference in fuel, and maintenance on the 100, it might be a wash.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
the rubicon will spank a 100 series land cruiser stock vs modified. the additional axle travel alone plus the axle differential lockers is a huge benefit. the capacity to modify the Jeep is easy as well. a simple 3" lift will net you nearly 11" of vertical travel on each corner, in addition to allowing you to easily fit 37" tires.

all that said, the jeep does lose a lot of creature comforts like the rear AC you mentioned. the 2012 plus AC units are much more powerful than previous, but its hard to keep up with the amount of volume inside the vehicle with only 4 vents and a smaller fan. the dash is only a foot deep.

there are ways around all that though. a white hardtop with an aftermarket insulated head liner will run significantly cooler inside than the standard black and without the liner would. AEV also produces a cool roof rack that might fit your bill, there are also other options available from companies like Gobi and Baja

my jeep on 37's can grab 20mpg on the interstate unloaded at 70mph. loaded up with a hardtop gear and a passenger though a solid 17-17.5 is doable and expected.

Off Duty

Adventurer
Funny reading the fuel consumption figures here.
I was talking to a very close friend who also is my mechanic (professionally) for anything I can't or don't want/have time to, tackle myself.

He has the jeep you're discussing.
35's with a small lift to cover the tires. Everything else is stock.

We were discussing fuel consumption on Saturday, while we were doing some AC work on my FJ62.

I was complaining about 12 (+/-) mpg.
He stated that he get's 11.9.

I have some other friends that have the 4 doors, and the mileage figures are similar.
Take it for what it's worth.

Better yet, maybe do a short term lease, or rent on for a few weeks, and do some driving.
Get your own figures.

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
Better yet, maybe do a short term lease, or rent on for a few weeks, and do some driving.
Get your own figures.

Interesting idea. That's kind of the 100 problem I'm having. My older 100 got 17 highway, 12mpg stop and go. The new one seems to get 11highway and 9.5 stop and go. Is your mechanics at sea level? I live on the ocean so idk what my truck's excuse is.

Renting one is a good idea. I've only ever driven a 2011 2 door. Short term lease with the option to buy at the end is also interesting. But might not make sense if you're planning to mod it at all. And using the 100 and non transferable mods for a downpayment would be like putting half down, which makes a loan about the same price as a lease.

I had a nice long response written up here but lost it...

In short, I've owned both, a 100 and JKU. Everyday, I regret selling my 100. The JK was fun but lost its novelty pretty quickly. IMO, the JK felt like a tin can whereas the 100 felt like a tank. Comfort doesn't compare between the two.

Maybe buy a used T4R trail ($30k-ish) for comfort, overland travel, economy and reliability....and buy an old CJ ($4k-ish) for the Jeep fever. Best of both worlds...

Interesting. I'm surprised you were the first person to say that. That might be the fate of owning a 100. The only cars that feel solid to me at the LA auto show were the AMG Mercedes, the G63 in particular. (We've also considered G500s, but talk about repair costs).

I've thought about the 4R TRail. That seems like getting something new just to get something new. The 100 seems better. Except for gas mileage.

Last edited:

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
If time is the issue and you're tired of working on the LC, turn it over to a shop to fix the MPG and age issues. If you both want a run topless in the mountains, then the Rubi is your clear choice. It seems like know want you both want, do you know why you're hesitating?

I'm hesitating because my new job isn't confirmed yet. So it's hypothetical land for at least the next two weeks. Once it's a done deal. I can list the 100 for sale and start test driving jeeps. I hate going to the dealer and wasting their time when I'm not really ready to buy but I do need to go drive some 4 doors.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
the rubicon will spank a 100 series land cruiser stock vs modified.

This is also not exactly correct. At all. If you are saying a stock Rubi will "spank" a modded 100, your nuts. ARBs front and rear, some Slee armour and suspension tweaks, and no spanking will occur. Stock to stock, the Rubi will win, no doubt.

Klaus, you need to go drive a 4 door Rubi. See if any of your local dealers will let you have one overnight. I like/love my Rubi, but it isn't nearly in the same league as the LC for quality, comfort, or driving feel. I've owned multiple LCs, and 2 modded Rubis. If they still offered a LC new (that I could afford), I'd have one instead of the Jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal