landing strip

pkelly72

Adventurer
I bet that got some of your attention.

Does anyone use, see a need for using pieces of old landing strip material for self extraction?

How does one find this stuff anymore, besides going to the Điện Biên Phủ valley.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
It has been discussed a couple times and the general concensus is that they are A: Primarily Unavailable, and B: Very Heavy. Somebody mentioned at some point that there were aluminum ones available, but for the most part they are steel. Probably overkill unless you want to bring your own bridge along....

Spence

Signcutter21

Adventurer
Yes, the stuff is very heavy. Done here on the south west border, scrape pieces are rather plentiful. I tried to pick up an approximately 6 ft piece and could barely get one side up. Took me a bit to get it into the bed of a truck. It did however work great for the intended use while bridging a small wash out.

I just did the Camino del Diablo trail. The Border Patrol has several sections of the landing mat laid out on the road in the heavy sand areas. It was pretty cool driving along the road.

later,
mike

shogun

Adventurer
Lots of it available in Victorville, CA. It is very heavy, but there are some 5' sections available also. It will not hold the weight of anything larger than a small lawn tractor! It is meant to be supported full length by soft ground and provide traction and flotation, not weight. You can weld some tubing along each edge to increase weight bearing capacity, but even that is marginal.

As an aside, the very british "sand channels" also are not designed for bridging, and need to be supported underneath.

mstrkage

I believe it's called marsden matting I found a plethora of 12' sections while I was in AK. It works great for snow and silt but it is heavy. look for sand ladders on google they make all kinds of plastic versions now days. Different styles but same use.

michaelgroves

Explorer
You guys mean something like this?

http://www.masterpull.com/item.cfm?itemid=47143

Hopefully we can make some videos this winter of us using those in the snow.

-Alex

That stuff's what we in the UK would call PSP - Pierced Steel Planking. The military version has interlocking edges to make temporary road surfaces etc.

Available in steel or aluminium. (Still seems to be called PSP, though!). The aluminium stuff is great, the steel is very heavy.

The commercially made stuff I find often tends to have sharp edges.

jh504

Explorer
I bet that got some of your attention.

Does anyone use, see a need for using pieces of old landing strip material for self extraction?

How does one find this stuff anymore, besides going to the Điện Biên Phủ valley.

I have two 6' sections of the steel landing mats that I was going to cut down and use as bridging ladders. You can buy them from a guy here in NC called White Owl's. $35 a piece for the 6' sections. They are very durable but also very heavy. Not a very good choice for a small vehicle to carry.

Scott Brady

Founder
I would use caution with the standard PSP, which is typically steel, very heavy and sharp.

Just as with a Hi-Lift, sand ladders require training and practice for safe use. Reality in the field also dictates that proper tire pressure and driving technique makes these items useful in only the narrowest of applications.

I am in the middle of a comprehensive test of the available units and we are heading to the Imperial Sand Dunes for more in the next week.

A lighter, safer version of the PSP is the Mantec sand ladder
sand_ladder.jpg

Master-Pull

Supporting Sponsor
That stuff's what we in the UK would call PSP - Pierced Steel Planking. The military version has interlocking edges to make temporary road surfaces etc.

Available in steel or aluminium. (Still seems to be called PSP, though!). The aluminium stuff is great, the steel is very heavy.

The commercially made stuff I find often tends to have sharp edges.

I have actually never used the ones that we have, I was told we had them custom made for us. I can check on the edges later today.

-Alex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk