Larry's 1978 K10

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
congrats on the sweet axle and cool of Nick to pass on the find...he is handy that way :)

Looking forward to some trail time again Larry no matter what axle or rig you are running!

BurbanAZ

Explorer
awesome truck definitely one of my favorite on Expo. I get what your saying about the bigblock gas engines, my last suburban has a 454tbi and i loved it, easy to work on cheap and decent power even though pretty stock but the mpg was killing me. I ended up getting a suburban with the 6.5td (i love suburbans lol) and so far i really like it, feels about the same power but 3 times the gas mileage. Plus the old IDI diesels are pretty much as cheap and easy to work on as any of the gas engines ive had. I couldnt justify a new duramax or cummins or something with the cost of parts and maint. but with the old diesels even though their not powerhouses like the new ones they almost seem to be a good compromise as long as your not wanting crazy power. I think i remember seeing ur rig at OX12, it was nice to see any old american iron truck that i could find out there lol.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Larry that is a real NICE score there. How much did you pay for that axel? Cant wait to see pics on the install!:)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
How much did you pay for that axel? Cant wait to see pics on the install!:)

Thanks BurbanAZ and Chili,

$1200 bucks. No BS….Here is the CL add. $1200 usually is the calling price for a used dual wheel front Dana 60 so a brand new crate single front wheel axle seems to be a steal at this price. I didn't have the heart to try to talk him down on the price. I am elbows deep into the Polar Bear Suburban right now so this D60 project won’t get installed for a few months. Contrary to popular belief, the D60 is not just a bolt in project. The reality is aside from the acquisition cost there is still another $400 worth (or more if you want) the crap to buy just to bolt it in.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Absolutly a super deal Larry. Post some pics of the polar bear build if you have them. Cheers, Chilli.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Dana 60 is in!

I have to say this Dana 60 was the easiest swap for such an upgrade in brute strength. Unfortunately, this upgrade in strength also means a downgrade in traction for the K10 as the outgoing Dana 44 was fitted with a Detroit TruTrac. The D60 is currently open but hope to add an ARB to the front and rear in the near future.

This wax paper tag was wire tied to steering arm
7890232928_a40e3aa257_c.jpg

Comparo of the D60 next to the D44 that I had just refreshed to go into the Polar Bear. The D60 is huge…and heavy!
7890216958_0c4512d156_c.jpg

Neat comparison picture of the D60 next to the D44. King pins vs. ball joints, different tie-rod mounting, etc
7890211258_24e6ef9bef_c.jpg

Out with the Dana 44
8187438468_807147e844_c.jpg

Crappy cell picture
8187438870_a6b48629a4_c.jpg

After spraying some fresh paint on the leaf springs the D60 was rolled under
8187439386_68c5bd6ce2_c.jpg

Used a real camera for the rest of the picture take’n
8187394554_81634f7de4_c.jpg

Even the driveshaft was a direct fit. I did have to score a different set of U-joint straps as the D44 uses the flat strap while the D60 uses the Ubolt type strap.
8186376341_fb16908cc7_c.jpg

Superwinch hubs. I love these… ¼ turn to lock or unlock, durable and cost much less than WARN hubs. Sorry WARN, love your winches but not a fan of your hubs.
8186369789_757b1c88cd_c.jpg

ORD raise steering arm block and brake lines. I love their brake lines!
8186357479_7e6ee26a21_c.jpg

8186359677_dc4d902bca_c.jpg

8187408890_f7957b891b_c.jpg

Poor ole D44 in the corner. Anybody need a good used D44? 4:56, TruTrac’d, 2 year old ball joints and all new bearings. Actually, I am thinking of pulling the TruTrac out and stuffing it in the Polar Bear Burb now that it has a D44 in the front. I would have just used this entire axle for the Burb but the 14 FF that went into the Burb was 4:10 and I didn’t feel like spending $400 to regear yet another 14 bolt to 4:56.
8186371815_0fa20b5d02_c.jpg

All that is left is to bleed the brakes, bolt on tires, drive it up and down the street to set the steering wheel then ready for the trail. Ah, wait....will probably have to add a zero rate to the rear spring packs next as the D60 will make it sit a bit taller.

toddz69

Explorer
Always enjoy reading about your upgrades, Larry. What prompted the upgrade to the D60? What about the D44 wasn't beefy enough?

I hope the D60 Superwinch hubs are better than their D44 hubs. I like their 1/4 turn feature too but we (early Bronco guys) gave up on them back in the mid-to-late '90s after a rash of breakage in relatively mild usage.

Todd Z.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Always enjoy reading about your upgrades, Larry. What prompted the upgrade to the D60? What about the D44 wasn't beefy enough?

I hope the D60 Superwinch hubs are better than their D44 hubs. I like their 1/4 turn feature too but we (early Bronco guys) gave up on them back in the mid-to-late '90s after a rash of breakage in relatively mild usage.

Todd Z.

Well, the internet said the Dana 44 would probably break the first time I drove on a dirt road so I figured I’d better upgrade :elkgrin: Hehe, just kidding. Actually, I had great luck with the D44 and where it only broke once when a dry u-joint gave up trashing the inner and outer axle shafts in the meantime. That same thing could have happened to a D60 as well. My off-road driving style is with finesse instead of trying to muscle through everything which is probably way the D44 lived as long as it did. If Mosesburb would have not told me about this brand new $1200 D60 with single wheel hubs and the correct gear ratio, I would still be using the D44 for years to come.

That said, I was concerned the day would come when too much weight, too much torque mixed with the right trail obstacle would push the D44 over the limit. The truck usually weights in right at 8,000 lbs. when packed for a weeklong trip.

Odd you should say that about the Superwinch hubs. In fact, my circle of friends (1 Ram Charger, 1 K5 and one Bronco plus my K10 and Burb) have been ditching their WARN and Milemarkers for Superwinch and none of us have had a problem with them on D44 axles. I don’t know of anybody using them on a D60 so we’ll see. Heck the Superwinch hubs have held up great on Coloradobill’s ARB locked Ram Charger and they held up for years on my old D44 with fitted with a TruTrac. I can’t say all of us have had “major” issues with WARN or MileMarker but we have all grown very tired of having to reach behind the wheel to spin the axle shaft a tad to get the stupid things to completely lock or unlock. For that reason alone, I would rather carry a spare set of Superwinch hubs instead of any other.

Rot Box

Explorer
Cool! For some reason I thought you already had a D60 in there.

Good info on the hubs. For the record my Mile Markers's are worthless garbage-- I would not recommend them to anyone.

toddz69

Explorer
Odd you should say that about the Superwinch hubs. In fact, my circle of friends (1 Ram Charger, 1 K5 and one Bronco plus my K10 and Burb) have been ditching their WARN and Milemarkers for Superwinch and none of us have had a problem with them on D44 axles. I don’t know of anybody using them on a D60 so we’ll see. Heck the Superwinch hubs have held up great on Coloradobill’s ARB locked Ram Charger and they held up for years on my old D44 with fitted with a TruTrac. I can’t say all of us have had “major” issues with WARN or MileMarker but we have all grown very tired of having to reach behind the wheel to spin the axle shaft a tad to get the stupid things to completely lock or unlock. For that reason alone, I would rather carry a spare set of Superwinch hubs instead of any other.

I wouldn't be surprised if Superwinch has upgraded or improved their hubs in the intervening years since we last used them (probably 15 years ago).

Todd Z.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Smokin:ylsmoke:install there Larry. How cool is it that your driveshaft bolted right up???!!! Looks like everything went very nicely. I can wait to see pics of you out 4 wheeling your rig with that new front axel... Cheers, Chilli...:)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Thanks Chilli! The next round of pics of it wheeling will be coming up in March after the Death Valley trip but we may do a snow trip or two before then.

Coloradbill came by last night and helped bleed the brakes then I set the steering wheel today and ran it to the car wash. I swear it steers better, handles better and rides better with the added unsprung weight in the front. It just feels more planted to the ground now.

The ole dog never got a good washing and rub down after the last fishing/ trail riding trip in early October. My wife got a new camera and today was too beautiful of a day not to snap a bunch of beauty shots with it all cleaned up.

8190783425_9886bb8871_c.jpg

8190791807_1ce734b445_c.jpg

I figured it would turn out with a butt sag so I picked up a set of leaf spring center pin bolts yesterday in order to install a set of zero rate rear springs this weekend. The zero rates should level it out
8191925386_c692c75a10_c.jpg

Goofing off with the new camera wishing this was taken through the weeds in the desert rather than my driveway.
8191912296_21a926774a_c.jpg

8191930250_7879b9ea1f_c.jpg

It's been a while since I taken any decent power plant pictures so today was as good as any to do so
8190851947_d9fc78dc45_c.jpg

Yes, I am a nerd to have a decal like this made. It's all in the details right?
8191949628_a44441b137_c.jpg

Family portrait with the Polar Bear Suburban
8191999814_f70eeed017_c.jpg

All of this project progress will be slowing down in the coming months because we just found out after 20 years together and 14 years of marriage, we are expecting our first bundle of joy. We just learned this Monday! We are so excited I can't even explain it. I really wish my dad was still alive to be here for this. I'm 40 and wife is 38 so we have our fingers and toes crossed for a healthy and uneventful pregnancy and delivery. This will be a huge change to our life for sure but we are so excited! Did I mentioned we are excited?! :elkgrin:

Got a bunch of shop projects lined up to get done before the little one shows up so I have been busy ordering parts and what not for the NV4500 swap into the Polar Bear and a few other things. Hopefully, I'll get the 8.1L stuffed into the Polar Bear by then too but it will be a close race.

Last edited:

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I'll say it again here....Congrats on the upcoming bundle of joy! I'm sure your Dad is smiling down and going to do what he can to make the pregnancy uneventful. Plus I'm sure the stork in these parts drives an old square body Chevy!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I'll say it again here....Congrats on the upcoming bundle of joy! I'm sure your Dad is smiling down and going to do what he can to make the pregnancy uneventful. Plus I'm sure the stork in these parts drives an old square body Chevy!

Thanks Rob! I am sure the stork does drive an old square..hehe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL