Larry's 1978 K10

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
That is a cool K5 FWC set up. I could see you cruising that rig Rob! Go get her! Between both of us we have enough parts lying around to spruce that K5 is in no time.

I know I'd love to go get it. Just can't pull it off right now. Dig the national geographic map wallpaper though!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Simple things

Funny how the simplest of things can make such a big difference. When I installed this 8.1L almost 5 years ago I bought an engine cover for an early 8.1L. I also did not want to run electronic throttle on this truck (I am not a big fan of unnecessary electrical BS) so I used a L29 7.4L mechanical throttle body instead of the electric 8.1L TB. Unfortunately, the clearance for the cable to bend round the oil fill tube was pretty sketchy resulting in a stiff gas pedal. In helping guy on a different forum with an 8.1L swap into his project he mentioned the later 8.1L had a different cover and oil fill tube with a bend in it which should help with the mechanical TB cable routing. I never knew that as vehicles my company builds do not use engine covers on any of the chassis we built with 8.1L engines. Man it made a huge difference! The gas pedal is much easier to step on now! Sure I could have ran it without a cover all these years but 8.1L engines are horribly ugly without them. :ylsmoke:

BEFORE: 2001-2003 Engine cover and oil fill tube. The cable working angle wasn’t desirable but worked fine for 15,000 miles. It looks like the cable is rubbing on the tube but it wasn’t although you couldn’t side a hair between the cable and tube.
8236401268_91f045eff2_c.jpg

AFTER: 2004-2010 Engine cover and oil fill tube.
8236406412_af844bfa5f_c.jpg

Early cover on the left. Late design on the right.
8236403806_656d35c9c5_c.jpg

Best $60 spend in a while. I am sure the truck will be much more capable off road now. LOL :coffee:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
The Devil's in the details....heard that once somewhere.

Actually I would think an easier & thus more "controlable" throttle would help off road :)

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
The Devil's in the details....heard that once somewhere.

Actually I would think an easier & thus more "controlable" throttle would help off road :)

For sure, much easier to throw the “berries” at it now. :) The softer throttle should help prevent the sore ankles and charley horses in my right calf now too on those long trips. LOL

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Yes! Awesome.. I definitely agree in the details. So many people just try and get the straight function from everything but sometimes those little details can make it function that much better. Awesome to hear you found yourself a good little addition to the K10. :D

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Got the rear ORD Zero rate blocks installation wrapped up this evening to level the truck after the front D60 swap raised the front. I find it easier to just pop the spring packs out to work on them on the floor. Seems like I’ve had these damn springs out of this truck 100 times in the last few years trying to get this thing to sit level. Once I got it level Mosesburb made me install a D60 and screw up my leveling where I had to start all over again. :sombrero:

8239468264_7c9c2a10c2_c.jpg

After installing the block on the passenger’s side spring
8238404749_312f837e13_c.jpg

Driver’s side
8239474770_7e95217f2c_c.jpg

View of how the zero rate blocks allows for the axle to be pushed back by using 1 of the 3 positioning options built into the block. I used the provision to move the axle back 1”
8239481936_d29297bb1d_c.jpg

A hole must be made in the spring plate to reposition the center pin locations. Got lucky on this side and got the hole deadnuts in the right spot. Passenger’s side not so much. :ylsmoke:
8248789856_6bcdaf60b5_c.jpg

Level devil
8247724303_349b77d7cc_c.jpg

Rear wheels look more centered in the wheel wells now too
8248793910_fa3587f259_c.jpg

8248837344_6a0552d581_c.jpg

Before zero rate block
8191925386_c692c75a10_c.jpg

After zero rate block install
8247728381_2096b2554d_c.jpg

That’s all for the K10 for a while. Got lots of plans for the Polar Bear Burb in the next few weeks :smiley_drive:

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Wow. Looks like you got it sitting pretty now. :D Nice job! Truck is looking great.

Man, I love this thing.. hah. :drool:

warwgn

Explorer
I love it, the axle looks perfectly centered to me, of course it could just be the camera angle:wings:

seriously it looks great!! Straight and level!!

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Thanks! Yeah, and here you probably thought I had the springs in backwards all these years. :chef:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Fresh meat!

Well it is that time of year again to get our junk ready for the season ahead adventures and Bigassgas8.1L got a fresh set of meats! As it turns out Load Range E’s aren’t easy to come by in 315/75R16’s so I figured I would try a set of these new Dunlop Fierce Attitude Load Range E meats from SAM's Club. Also moved back to aluminum wheels to try to shave off a little weight from the ole girl. The wheels came from Desert Rat Off-Road Center in Phoenix. Desert Rattler Moab STR. I really like the looks of the new tires and wheels. The load range E tires really feel like they help the ole girl keep standing up straight on the high speed highway curves as well.

The bad news is the new tires and wheels are a bit wide and badly interfere with the front fender flares under moderate articulation so that is something I need to work out yet. Might even order a set of Xenon flares and move these WARN’s to the Suburban (actually just the two rear flares as the later body style nose on the Burb requires a different front flare). These WARN flares hang down pretty low and have often gotten in the way of the tires anyway…even narrow tires.

New Fierce Attitude tires on Rattler Moab STR wheels. You can see Pikes Peak right under the transfercase. These pictures were taken in the open space next to my house.
8469469194_3df266f27b_c.jpg

8468388425_eea2217da6_c.jpg

Another with Pikes Peak under the truck
8468428229_df19e65c2e_c.jpg

8469505578_1b30e1faae_c.jpg

Mojave Rd and Death Valley here we come! :coffeedrink:

Chevrolado

Cruisin'
Oh my.... :drool: So great looking on those new meats Larry! Great choice. This has got to be my favorite combo on the truck. Man, what a perfect specimen of a square body..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL